• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

SOLD 2 240mm asp-2053 gyutos, an apex ultra honesuki.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got the other one, because I figured I’ll leave symmetrical one to the correct hand challenged if they have an inkling to try this. The knife is made very well. Great fit and finish, balance, profile. The grind is on point. I don’t know if mine would cut as well without an edge, but the edge it came with is amazing, I am not even sure if I have the skill to make it this sharp once it dulls, but I am looking forward to giving it a shot. The edge is very aggressive it cuts tomatoes like crazy. Regardless of the steel the knife is very well made, this steel though makes it so much more interesting.

I got the other one, because I figured I’ll leave symmetrical one to the correct hand challenged if they have an inkling to try this. The knife is made very well. Great fit and finish, balance, profile. The grind is on point. I don’t know if mine would cut as well without an edge, but the edge it came with is amazing, I am not even sure if I have the skill to make it this sharp once it dulls, but I am looking forward to giving it a shot. The edge is very aggressive it cuts tomatoes like crazy. Regardless of the steel the knife is very well made, this steel though makes it so much more interesting.
Your knife is actually the one that had a very slightly thinner grind. Since it was right hand biased i could go thinner but keep the convexity on the right side that is on the symmetrical.

Not a huge difference between the two. But yours would probably do just as well if not better.

It should be noted, that since these are zero ground before i sharpen them. they aren't particularly dull before sharpening. I mean its not a proper edge. But its not the same as if it was a giant flat spot was there.

And i assure you. You can get it that sharp. I'm definitely not a bad sharpener, but this steel just wants to be crazy sharp. Its impressive how good the edge gets with such little effort.

I was going to do M4 for the knife, which I don't know a lot about. I would prefer a different handle and bolster than this one, but I wonder if I should switch the steel on my upcoming one.

Have you used/know the differences in the steal Alex? Anyone else?

I was going to do M4 for the knife, which I don't know a lot about. I would prefer a different handle and bolster than this one, but I wonder if I should switch the steel on my upcoming one.

I'll let others answer as well obviously, since I'm sure the buyers perspective will be useful here. And also, I'm sure info coming from me could be seen as having some bias even if its not my intention.

But imo, since I generally run both in the same hardness range, i think asp-2053 is the better choice of the two. You are getting more wear resistance for the hrc. I really wish i had charpy data, so i could give a definitive answer. But, just a guess, is that at 68, they will both have similar toughness.

But the main thing as a user, that will be the drawback for asp-2053, is it will cost more. It would be the price of the one listed here.

M4 is a very good steel. I don’t currently have a gyuto in M4, but I have one from @Blank Blades. in 4V which is closer to M4 than to asp-2053. M4 should be similar to hap-40, not exactly the same, but in the same performance range at similar hardness. To me asp-2053 is more interesting since it should be close in performance to 10v, k390 class of steels which are a step up in wear resistance from M4 class. I also don’t know how tough asp-2053 is at this hardness and I don’t have enough experience with it yet to be able to tell how it does in my use, but I don’t expect it to be much worse maybe even better than white or blue steels at higher hardness ranges, so should be fine if treated like harder Japanese knives in these steels. I’ve experienced very good performance from k390 in both gyutos and folders and 10v in folders and outdoor knives and these steels perform very well in my use. This knife is harder and geometry is thinner, but it also won’t see the “abuse” that outdoor knives and folders see, so I expect good results from it. Time will tell and hopefully one of our metallurgists will test this steel.

Alright. Everything in the thread is officially sold.

I will probably throw up a pic with the new handle in the wip thread or completed knife thread once its done.

And keep the timascus until i find something else i can use it for.

Back