• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

SOLD Y. Tanaka White #1 Damascus 240mm Gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Description
Catch and release. Second owner. Thought I "needed" a white 1 from Y Tanaka but I just don't feel like it fits in my collection. Helluva cutter, tho. Never sharpened (by me).

Original owner purchased from here. I think it's the exact sample in the photos on the product page.
https://zahocho.com/products/yoshikazu-tanaka-shirogami-1-damascus-gyuto-240mm

Dimensions:
Edge Length - 234mm
Height at heel - 53.5mm
Weight - 7.16 oz / 203 g

What's included
Y Tanaka 240mm gyuto
Original box

Price
$299 shipped to USA. International buyers pay actual shipping minus $15. Price includes PP fees.

Photos

PXL_20240419_231701729.jpg

PXL_20240419_231736891.jpg

PXL_20240419_231833832~3.jpg

Last edited:
Do you have a link to the original posting that you purchased from? I'm interesting in a y tanaka w1 but I can't really find any info regarding yoshihiro and y tanaka besides from the site you linked. I'm hoping the posting you purchased from may have more info.

Do you have a link to the original posting that you purchased from? I'm interesting in a y tanaka w1 but I can't really find any info regarding yoshihiro and y tanaka besides from the site you linked. I'm hoping the posting you purchased from may have more info.
Out of curiosity what else is there to know? You know the smith, sharpener, and size/weight...

I've had a few Y. Tanaka sharpened by this sharpener. They are thin and good cutters.

Out of curiosity what else is there to know? You know the smith, sharpener, and size/weight...

I've had a few Y. Tanaka sharpened by this sharpener. They are thin and good cutters.
Mostly just curious what type of run this was and how these came to be designed. I can't find any other collaboration between y tanaka and Shimizu or working with the yoshihiro line, so I'm wondering if this was a limited run specifically for this retailer.

Mostly just curious what type of run this was and how these came to be designed. I can't find any other collaboration between y tanaka and Shimizu or working with the yoshihiro line, so I'm wondering if this was a limited run specifically for this retailer.
Not sure what you mean by type...but lots of retailers have unique runs of knives like this. Fred, the owner of Zahocho does quite a bit. He has a decent relationship with yamawaki hamono and I'm sure just requested a white 1 dama.

In the future, it's best to DM or make a separate thread instead of clogging up a sales post like I am also contributing to.

To keep things on point, Ashy is a great buyer/seller and this knife looks awesome for the money.

Last edited:
Asking for a link to is not an unreasonable request lmao. I mean if you bought the knife second hand or something and don’t know where it originally came from that’s understandable but still not beyond the pale to ask such a question. @ashy2classy come get your boy he’s not doing you any favors moving this knife haha

Last edited:
Asking for a link to a product page is not an unreasonable request lmao. I mean if you bought the knife second hand or something and don’t know where it originally came from that’s understandable but still not beyond the pale to ask such a question. @ashy2classy come get your boy he’s not doing you any favors moving this knife haha
Isn’t the link posted in the advert enough?

Seller seems uncertain. “I think it’s the exact sample.”
Maybe just a colloquial use of ‘I think’ rather than a statement. He does also say ‘exact’ in the same sentence.

Either way I’m not sure it would resolve the main question posed which is ‘Mostly just curious what type of run this was and how these came to be designed’

“Implying” “I think” ……Honestly it would be much more appropriate for the seller to deal with these issues or not. Up to him.

The point remains Jedy why are you even commenting? Potential buyer justs want a link bro. Maybe the exact verifiable link can’t be offered but still why are you even talking?

Maybe just a colloquial use of ‘I think’ rather than a statement. He does also say ‘exact’ in the same sentence.

Either way I’m not sure it would resolve the main question posed which is ‘Mostly just curious what type of run this was and how these came to be designed’
Yeah a little help for our confused friend. It's the same EXACT knife pictured in the ad.

rotate2.png

rotate.png

Anyway. You said I would be no help to sell? I will buy it if he's stuck with it for awhile. Also his "boy" lol. I think we have one convo and he bought 1 knife from me 6+ months ago?

Last edited:
“Implying” “I think” ……Honestly it would be much more appropriate for the seller to deal with these issues or not. Up to him.

The point remains Jedy why are you even commenting? Potential buyer justs want a link bro. Maybe the exact verifiable link can’t be offered but still why are you even talking?
As I said above, I think I made it super clear. Wanted to do two things. Help answer his question about the knife, and about the retailer since I have used this line, and I know talk with the retailer regularly, and then informing him that if he wanted to know more about the knife in question he could dm the seller, or make a new thread.

Last edited:
To be fair, if a potential buyer has a question about a knife being sold, I don't see why he shouldn't be able to ask it in the thread? Other potential buyers may have the same question and it'll help sell the knife? 🤷‍♂️
I think we are missing the point. Of course you can and should ask a question about a knife for sale. That's exactly why I asked him to expound on his confusing question. At first it sounded like he wanted to know more about the knife; when the makers, and specs were posted. So I told him they are thin and cut well, along with asking what else he wanted to know.

There was no question about the actual knife, more of a history and discussion about yoshihiro and their history with tanaka and the retailer. "what type of run this was and how these came to be designed" was the question. Which is a fine question, just wanted to advise to make a new thread about it.

I think questions for sale thread are supposed be related to the item at hand. It's specs, how it performs, condition, where it was sold originally...all which were answered.

Last edited:
Kinda confused about what the questions are...

I purchased from a KKF user but he offered it to me offline without posting a WTS. It was purchased by the original owner from the vendor in the URL and based on the product photos, I believe it's the knife used for photos on the product page.

Any other information about the knife or design is unknown to me.

Last edited:
Back