what's the deal with small Japanese cooking pot.?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boomchakabowwow

Reaction score
looks like a fun pot, but I don't need one. but fun. I like how you can scoop with it. but my cooking for huge groups is not a thing anymore.

any use one? maybe I am just watching too many Japanese cooking vids. hahah.

shopping.jpeg

No reason to use it over quality clad pans.
I have a small, 1L stainless and use it often for things like making dashi, reheating soup or warming milk and butter for mash.

Benefits over my quality clad pans are:
  1. it heats much faster on induction
  2. pour spout is useful
  3. the internal volume markings are useful
  4. has a handle sticker like a TFTFTFTFTF
IMG_3823.jpeg

looks like a fun pot, but I don't need one. but fun. I like how you can scoop with it. but my cooking for huge groups is not a thing anymore.

View attachment 319522
IMO, it's only good for liquid based preparations, where even heating, stickiness, cleanup is not an issue (in general) but yes, beefly handle that doesn't get hot, fast heating, pouring spouts, are likely it's benefits - probably cheap too.

It's super useful in commercial Japanese settings. Having the measurements also is a plus. It's much easier to get the dashi ratio right when making tsuyu without having to use other utensils. I guess if you're a western home cook there's no real reason to use one.

I second the benefit that they're cheap and also lightweight.
I'll add the benefit that they're virtually indestructible. If you get the handle-less versions they also stack well.

The rapid heating was also a benefit in many ramen restaurants where you might not be busy enough to just keep a giant pot going and only bring enough stock to boil rapidly for what you need.

It has two spouts, so it can pour twice as fast.
There is a famous old church in the centre of Munich, called "Der alte Peter" (the old Peter). A disintiguishing feature is that it has eight clocks on its four-sided spire, two on each side.

1714956792298.png

Karl Valentin, a famous Bavarian comedian, once remarked that there are eight clock faces so eight people could check the time simultaneously…

View attachment 319522

Use mine all the time, more than the pricier European pots and pans in my kitchen—light and fast.
41A48F43-DEA7-4697-A6B5-972436758F48.jpg

Back