Whats cooking? **** Making something fine and fancy?** Just plain good? Show us!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hereā€™s dinner! Steamed pork-ribs w Taro root in black bean and garlic sauce.

White rice not shown! Haha

IMG_1891.jpeg

Last edited:
Fridayā€™s globetrotting, plant-forward, spice driven supperā€”Qeema matar (Pakistani spicy beef mince and peas), Vegetarian Tex-Mex Chili, gailan with oyster sauce, and basmati rice. Plus, 8-veg salad with mustard vinaigrette

Texas, China, Pakistanā€”thereā€™re affinities between these disparate cuisines on my dinner plate. Mustard oil in qeema connects with gailan (mustard family) and the saladā€™s mustard vinaigrette; cumin a significant seasoning in Tex-Mex chili and qeema.
D06C8ED0-26FC-4693-9219-5D225C704834.jpeg

B9389932-B298-465E-97C6-D21DAAB6F273.jpeg

78ECD1C4-9BF2-45A6-BDD2-9C379FAD90DD.jpeg

CC4FBF2B-969A-4F53-BB49-F57DDB095858.jpeg

Last edited:
Okay you inspired me. Next time I have some confit legs I'm going to make a 'confitnara'... carbonara but with confit in place of the normal meat.
Probably going to be heavy as hell, but I have to try...
So I actually tried this... and it's actually quite nice. Also nowhere near as heavy as expected.
Had some leftover confit pheasant thighs (I think duck would work better). Just cubed it up, fried it up a bit instead of the usual guanciale et al, then proceeded as usual like you would for a carbonara.
I wouldn't say it's better than traditional carbonara, but also not necessarily worse. Just different...but worth trying if you have some excess confit meat. Also, the meat actually leaks less fat than I expected so I had to add some on from the confit pan.

So I actually tried this... and it's actually quite nice. Also nowhere near as heavy as expected.
Had some leftover confit pheasant thighs (I think duck would work better). Just cubed it up, fried it up a bit instead of the usual guanciale et al, then proceeded as usual like you would for a carbonara.
I wouldn't say it's better than traditional carbonara, but also not necessarily worse. Just different...but worth trying if you have some excess confit meat. Also, the meat actually leaks less fat than I expected so I had to add some on from the confit pan.
This is inspiring me to make a batch of confit, the Chinatown markets I go to often sell duck legs at a reasonably price.

This is inspiring me to make a batch of confit, the Chinatown markets I go to often sell duck legs at a reasonably price.
I'm actually a bit late in the season with it. For me it's ideally an autumn and winter dish... largely because it means running the oven for an eternity and I'd rather do that at a moment when the excess heat is actually welcome in my apartment instead of problematic. :)

I'm actually a bit late in the season with it. For me it's ideally an autumn and winter dish... largely because it means running the oven for an eternity and I'd rather do that at a moment when the excess heat is actually welcome in my apartment instead of problematic. :)
I'll probably make is sooner than later, want to give enough time for the confit to age. Regarding season, now is a good a time as any, better to make it was I got the inspiration rather than put it off, I'll get is done in the oven in about 5 hoursā€”just gotta buy the legs, and splurge on olive oil to make the confit.

I'll probably make is sooner than later, want to give enough time for the confit to age. Regarding season, now is a good a time as any, better to make it was I got the inspiration rather than put it off, I'll get is done in the oven in about 5 hoursā€”just gotta buy the legs, and splurge on olive oil to make the confit.
I think with the current olive oil prices it might actually cheaper to just do it in actual duck fat or goose fat, even if you have to go out and buy it. I'm not the biggest fan of doing it in olive oil either way; it becomes too 'oily'... preferred the taste of going full bird fat.

I think with the current olive oil prices it might actually cheaper to just do it in actual duck fat or goose fat, even if you have to go out and buy it. I'm not the biggest fan of doing it in olive oil either way; it becomes too 'oily'... preferred the taste of going full bird fat.
Sadly, duck fat prices here are very highā€”I might consider lard, but no experience with the commercial lard sold here. Things to ponder.

Sadly, duck fat prices here are very highā€”I might consider lard, but no experience with the commercial lard sold here. Things to ponder.
I make my confit sous vide, using duck fat. That way, I donā€™t need litres of fat, and the sealed bags can go straight into the freezer. This really works well. Itā€™s one of the perfect uses for sous vide.

^that works for me as well...
you can also use Kidney fat, i found a reasonable source for organic bovine kidney fat a while ago, but duck fat is likely closer to taste !

Back