Whats cooking? **** Making something fine and fancy?** Just plain good? Show us!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I couldn't find any morels the last couple of days, but there WERE some nifty looking FALSE morels. Been told they're dangerous by old guys. On line, alternately listed as "poisonous" or "edible & choice??? *** is that about.

Are these REALLY going to poison me with monomethyl hydrazine (which is a WONDERFUL propellant chemical, try smashing a GLASS litre bottle of it down on top of another glass litre of fuming red nitric acid, my kind of hilarity WILL ensue!)

Or will they just taste good and not cause issues.

Welp, so far, no issues.

Cleaned them up, sliced and fried in butter + olive oil. Salt & pepper & thyme. Deglazed pan with a bit of brandy & water, tossed a nugget of roux into the liquids, poured over the 'shrooms.

"Where have you been all my life?"

Attachments

• KIMG0843.JPG
    4.6 MB · Views: 1
I couldn't find any morels the last couple of days, but there WERE some nifty looking FALSE morels. Been told they're dangerous by old guys. On line, alternately listed as "poisonous" or "edible & choice??? *** is that about.

Are these REALLY going to poison me with monomethyl hydrazine (which is a WONDERFUL propellant chemical, try smashing a GLASS litre bottle of it down on top of another glass litre of fuming red nitric acid, my kind of hilarity WILL ensue!)

Or will they just taste good and not cause issues.

Welp, so far, no issues.
View attachment 318890
You ate those my dude?

You ate those my dude?
About half an hour ago. Only problem so far, I want more.

To clarify: There are several sub species of Gyrometra. They look somewhat alike, but have differences in their biochemistry... But even the most toxic varietals are eaten regularly in some cultures (suomi!) when properly prepared (multiple simmerings with the water being drained & thrown away).

Attachments

• KIMG0841.JPG
    6.8 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Why exactly would you take the risk? People die every year from eating the wrong mushrooms. 🤷‍♂️

Why exactly would you take the risk? People die every year from eating the wrong mushrooms. 🤷‍♂️
Because I found a great deal of conflicting information and spent a good bit of time asking questions, including those with university degrees in biology and some who have eaten these species regularly for many years. Finally, I got up the courage. I will admit to writing down my desires for the post mortem dispositions of my dog and favorite rifle before dining.

People who played Russian roulettes will have conflicting opinions about the outcome, with the majority of them finding no ill-effects.... ;)

Fish stock in the making. Two large Barramundi frames (2.5 kg), simmered with carrot, onion, celery, shiitake, konbu, star anise, fresh thyme, bay leaves, and ⅔ bottle of Noilly Prat.

1714652157185.jpeg

After simmering at 80 ºC for 50 minutes and straining, it leaves anything that can be bought for dead. Incredibly rich and satisfying; no fishy or bitter taste. Umami concentrate, if you will.

1714652209325.jpeg

We do urgent liver transplants about once every 18 months or so for individuals in the west coast here who decide to eat wild mushrooms. I've seen this firsthand, going on about 17 years now in my field. You look at the patients lab results and see everything just completely collapsing. They die painfully without a transplant.

no pics. but I just made corned beef hash for breakfast.

it tasted just regular, then I added a big pinch of Chinese 5-spice powder and blew it out of the water. it wasn't enough to slam it..just enough to add that tiny bit of complexity of the warming spices. my wife loved it.

Prep for sushi tomorrow, fileted and sugar/salt/rice vinegar cured some mackerel (will have 8/12 Vanamei prawns, Norwegian salmon, and scallops to go with that, with fresh wasabi now that I found a place that imports it from Japan), then I finished a batch of fermented salsa (arbol chilies, habanero & jalapeno in it so moderately spicy), and my dinner, a cheese burger with said salsa 🍔

Also included, Adele, our rescue and my furry friend of now 17 and then some years. 🦊

FullSizeRender.jpeg

Getting better at this…

FullSizeRender.jpeg
FullSizeRender.jpeg

Top & bottom…

FullSizeRender.jpeg

Loves me some patina… I love that deba, cuts like a razor and I paid around 50€ or less for it. No idea of the maker (bought second hand).

FullSizeRender.jpeg

😍

FullSizeRender.jpeg

I like it hot 🌶️🌶️🌶️

FullSizeRender.jpeg

Yummy… 😋

FullSizeRender.jpeg

Kindest creature known to man… or to us, at least. Sadly, she is getting old 😢

Prep for sushi tomorrow, fileted and sugar/salt/rice vinegar cured some mackerel (will have 8/12 Vanamei prawns, Norwegian salmon, and scallops to go with that, with fresh wasabi now that I found a place that imports it from Japan), then I finished a batch of fermented salsa (arbol chilies, habanero & jalapeno in it so moderately spicy), and my dinner, a cheese burger with said salsa 🍔

Also included, Adele, our rescue and my furry friend of now 17 and then some years. 🦊

View attachment 319172
Getting better at this…

View attachment 319173View attachment 319174
Top & bottom…

View attachment 319175
Loves me some patina… I love that deba, cuts like a razor and I paid around 50€ or less for it. No idea of the maker (bought second hand).

View attachment 319176
😍

View attachment 319177
I like it hot 🌶️🌶️🌶️

View attachment 319178
Yummy… 😋

View attachment 319179
Kindest creature known to man… or to us, at least. Sadly, she is getting old 😢

Adele looks like such a sweetie. We have a senior corgi so I know very well the mixture of love, gratitude, and dread. Do your best to stay present with every moment, it's all we can do.

Is the Wasabi the actual green root or frozen? We got the roots shipped in for the Kahala Hilton Hotel it was much better than the fake horseradish Wasabi.
It was good while it lasted eventually went back to the horseradish stuff.

It loses it's potency rather quickly short shelf life once graded.

I have bought the frozen graded Wasabi from Cherry Japanese Imports here. Cut off some vacuum seal rest put back in freezer.

Is the Wasabi the actual green root or frozen? We got the roots shipped in for the Kahala Hilton Hotel it was much better than the fake horseradish Wasabi.
It was good while it lasted eventually went back to the horseradish stuff.

It loses it's potency rather quickly short shelf life once graded.

I have bought the frozen graded Wasabi from Cherry Japanese Imports here. Cut off some vacuum seal rest put back in freezer.
Whole root and the variety that is used for sushi (when grated, it has a smoother texture). There is another one that is used for soba, etc. that has a more coarse texture.

IMG_7362.jpeg

Sure! :) The following recipe is more a general guide, I never do things exactly the same every time. The recipe is a bit more descriptive due to being originally written to people who are first time salmon soup cooks as the baseline.
I just made this, with the fish stock I made the other day. Turned out beautifully, thank you!

Served with a Spanish chick pea and tuna salad.

1714824076112.jpeg

Back