What is your favorite knife?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Guyto - 50/50 between a Chris Anderson XH in AEB-L and JKI Kagekiyo Ginsan both 240 ...
Sujihiki - Gengetsu wh2 270 beautifully re-handled by Randy ... love this guy ....

PS Daveb ... if that DT isn't getting 'enough' love please let me know and I will make room for it ...

Guyto - 50/50 between a Chris Anderson XH in AEB-L and JKI Kagekiyo Ginsan both 240 ...
Sujihiki - Gengetsu wh2 270 beautiful.

PS Daveb ... if that DT isn't getting 'enough' love please let me know and I will make room for it ...

You found a suji? Kewl beans!

The DT gyuto and suji are off visiting right now. Will be a joyful reunion soon.

At work it's the Fu-Rin-Ka-Zan ZDP-189 Wa Series Wa Gyuto (240). It's also the last knife I purchased for myself.

I've noticed they're sold out. They must be somewhat popular.

I've taken my old favorites home.

At work it's the Fu-Rin-Ka-Zan ZDP-189 Wa Series Wa Gyuto (240). It's also the last knife I purchased for myself.

I've noticed they're sold out. They must be somewhat popular.

I've taken my old favorites home.
Because of the steel, the profile or the grind? Or all 3? Or something else?

Because of the steel, the profile or the grind? Or all 3? Or something else?

All three are good. Yes, I've owned knives that are better in each category but this knife does well in each. I have the ebony handle which I feel improves the knife. It's also realistically priced.

My favorite aspects of the knife are the ease of maintenance and it holds and edge. I still have a drawer full of gyutos at work and I'll usually do a quick edge test when choosing one. (I don't sharpen as often as I used to.) The Fu usually stands out.

And this from someone with a western handle Shig Kitaeji. Praise indeed.:doublethumbsup:

Post some profile shots. Think I've only seen the choil. TF TF

looks like i don't have a standalone pic but it's the 5th on the left in the below photo.

z6Fw18ol.jpg

All three are good. Yes, I've owned knives that are better in each category but this knife does well in each. I have the ebony handle which I feel improves the knife. It's also realistically priced.

My favorite aspects of the knife are the ease of maintenance and it holds and edge. I still have a drawer full of gyutos at work and I'll usually do a quick edge test when choosing one. (I don't sharpen as often as I used to.) The Fu usually stands out.
Thanks for the perspective Salty.

Didn’t you own the AS version of that knife?

Actually, you are correct. I looked to see what it was and didn't notice there were several steel types. It is the AS version. I just can't keep my shiz straight.

My favorite knife at the moment is my 180 Kotetsu Bunka. The balance in the hand is perfect and it flies through veg. Sure it could use better food release, but as a home cook that is something I can tolerate for how it feels and cuts.

240 TF Denka gyuto - perfect profile, sublime thin edge but thickish spine, super stiff and remarkable edge retention - all of this with stainless clad with western handle for easy maintenance.

I just got one a few weeks ago and it’s everything I could ask for in a pro environment knife. I was lucky enough to pick mine out and make sure there weren’t any imperfections.

I picked out a Maboroshi gyuto in his Tokyo shop past month...my new favorite, especially since I got to watch TF scratch my name in it!

engrave.jpg

Yoshikane skd 240 gyuto, Itinomonn StainLess Kasumi 240 gyuto and Tanaka ginsan migaki 240 laser gyuto.

If I'd have to choose just one I'd have to flip a coin, but any one of these would make me perfectly happy as my only knife.

I picked out a Maboroshi gyuto in his Tokyo shop past month...my new favorite, especially since I got to watch TF scratch my name in it!

engrave.jpg

What a great photo. Would love to visit his shop in person some day? Did you get to meet Gaku? He's got a pretty good command of English?

What a great photo. Would love to visit his shop in person some day? Did you get to meet Gaku? He's got a pretty good command of English?

Right, that is a great photo! I'd love to visit someday too. It is on my list for when my wife and I visit Japan (we have a fund as we are both anime dorks).

Did you get to meet Gaku? He's got a pretty good command of English?

Gaku helped me pick a knife. He said he answers all the English emails and that he's much more comfortable writing in English than conversing...super nice guy.
My wife's Japanese so it was easy to communicate with TF & his staff.

Gaku helped me pick a knife. He said he answers all the English emails and that he's much more comfortable writing in English than conversing...super nice guy.
My wife's Japanese so it was easy to communicate with TF & his staff.

Ah well, that helps a lot! Gaku is a great asset to the shop. Don't think I would have the knives I have now without his considerable help, patience and perseverance. I hope TF appreciates him.

Interesting that the shop reflects my mental picture based on the knives he produces. Artisanal, down-to-earth with a straightforward no frills presentation.

Back