what do you guys use for pocket knives?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pm2 has been my #1 for a decade, been out of the folding knife game for a long time. Worked at a shop that made semi-customs in college (leaving names out of this, but big names that make you think they’re made in house when they’re not)

Holy hell though I can’t believe how much the prices of some knives I wanted 10 years ago have skyrocketed. Shiros, holt spectres, *** happened. Looks like even my southard has doubled in price…

Will likely get rid of a couple TAD dauntless and a grayman dua soon, just don’t use them. Anyone know what these fetch now?

Pm2 has been my #1 for a decade, been out of the folding knife game for a long time. Worked at a shop that made semi-customs in college (leaving names out of this, but big names that make you think they’re made in house when they’re not)

Holy hell though I can’t believe how much the prices of some knives I wanted 10 years ago have skyrocketed. Shiros, holt spectres, *** happened. Looks like even my southard has doubled in price…

Will likely get rid of a couple TAD dauntless and a grayman dua soon, just don’t use them. Anyone know what these fetch now?
Hoback?

Now is the time to buy actually, if you are buying used. Specters used to be double table. Now you can find at table or below. Same with grimsmo rasks. Shiros uses are way cheaper than they used to be except for custom divisions and customs. Southard customs? A mini tolk is harder to find but they have dropped since I owned one 3 years ago. He doesn't push much out though.

I guess you are looking at the span of 10 years, but telling you how things are the lowest they have been in 5 years for the most part. Majority of my stuff has lost tons of value haha

Hoback?

Now is the time to buy actually, if you are buying used. Specters used to be double table. Now you can find at table or below. Same with grimsmo rasks. Shiros uses are way cheaper than they used to be except for custom divisions and customs. Southard customs? A mini tolk is harder to find but they have dropped since I owned one 3 years ago. He doesn't push much out though.

I guess you are looking at the span of 10 years, but telling you how things are the lowest they have been in 5 years for the most part. Majority of my stuff has lost tons of value haha
Haha not hoback. A few popular beefy framelock brands in the $3-600 range, I actually made scales for pm2s at one point as well 😅, that’s how I learned to use a cnc

And interesting, I remember spectres at ~800 when I was looking. But my memory could be completely fugazi

Haha not hoback. A few popular beefy framelock brands in the $3-600 range, I actually made scales for pm2s at one point as well 😅, that’s how I learned to use a cnc

And interesting, I remember spectres at ~800 when I was looking. But my memory could be completely fugazi
Yeah they were originally like 5-600 and then went to 800. Secondary was usually 12-1400 or more, now they have done like 3-4 models and new ones are readily available, and people sell used specters for 800. Really like their drop shut action but their liner locks can be kinda iffy with lock failure and their heat treat is very....meh. That's a long story. They do feel like more hollow shirogorovs (if you wanna know why, it's because Joe holts favorite brand is shirogorov)

But sort of hate dealing with the roller bearings. Always a struggle for me to place them correctly in the race but glad they’re there once everything is together.

IMG_0449.jpg

Try double row micro rollers which are half the size haha.

But yeah. I can put all the bearings in the races in a minute a side now. First time doing the micros probably took me 1.5 hours. Now I'm down to like 30 mins haha.

Yea I've only got my basic Worksharp which does an okay job, but I wanna upgrade to a TSProf one day. I struggle real hard to maintain a consistent angle when freehanding my pocket knives.

Yea I've only got my basic Worksharp which does an okay job, but I wanna upgrade to a TSProf one day. I struggle real hard to maintain a consistent angle when freehanding my pocket knives.
Not my favorite that's for sure. I can make a pocket knife sharp freehand, but usually I mess up the finish. I need the stability of a big blade to place my fingertips.

Not my favorite that's for sure. I can make a pocket knife sharp freehand, but usually I mess up the finish. I need the stability of a big blade to place my fingertips.
Did you go straight to the TS Prof or did you try out any other fixed angle systems before it?

Did you go straight to the TS Prof or did you try out any other fixed angle systems before it?
I had a kme. I can recommend them for the price for sure. I would even say they have the better system if you want highly polished edges with their diamond films on glass plates.

The base isn't that sturdy though. The tsprof is much more heavy duty, and there are more stone options. I mainly got it because I got a good deal on some venevs from a friend. Kme worked just fine though, and didn't have a big problem with their stock diamonds

Just got my S90V too, slightly thinner than my daily carry CruWear
I need to try the S90 version. I got the cru-carta and I love it. I need to try my hand at sharpening better after seeing Jedy's post. 60 Bess score is just insane. I'm still thinking about it. I got the PM 3 in cruwear too. It is a fantastic steel. There is an equivalent that is used in Kitchen Knives, but I can't remember, Rex 45 maybe?

Today's carry: Sharp By Design Mini Evo 2, harpoon grind. I am blown away with this one and always have been since I first got it. Just fantastic design and execution. These would have been hard to discern from a custom if it was made a while ago. Great compound grind and tight tolerances coming out of a Chinese factory. Perfect F&F.

Attachments

• 20240509_104201[1].jpg
    20240509_104201[1].jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240509_104209[1].jpg
    20240509_104209[1].jpg
    789.9 KB · Views: 0
I need to try the S90 version. I got the cru-carta and I love it. I need to try my hand at sharpening better after seeing Jedy's post. 60 Bess score is just insane. I'm still thinking about it. I got the PM 3 in cruwear too. It is a fantastic steel. There is an equivalent that is used in Kitchen Knives, but I can't remember, Rex 45 maybe?
Cruwear is used in kitchen knives, sometimes, but maybe you are thinking of Zwear, same steel made by a different factory. Rex 45 is slightly different and is very close to hap40 which is used a lot in kitchen knives. All these as well as M4, MagnaCut, 4V, etc are fantastic steels and are roughly in the same performance range with slight variations in what specifically they excel at.

Today's carry: Sharp By Design Mini Evo 2, harpoon grind. I am blown away with this one and always have been since I first got it. Just fantastic design and execution. These would have been hard to discern from a custom if it was made a while ago. Great compound grind and tight tolerances coming out of a Chinese factory. Perfect F&F.
Love production SBDs. Reate is so good for the money

Cruwear is used in kitchen knives, sometimes, but maybe you are thinking of Zwear, same steel made by a different factory. Rex 45 is slightly different and is very close to hap40 which is used a lot in kitchen knives. All these as well as M4, MagnaCut, 4V, etc are fantastic steels and are roughly in the same performance range with slight variations in what specifically they excel at.
I didn't think I was right, but someone who knew would jump in. I do have a Hap40 knife that has been fantastic so far. I haven't had to sharpen it yet, but I haven't had it too long either. It is a very tall gyuto and I'd like to get something more in the 50mm height in a super steel too. I've been really tempted by the Sukenari ZDP-189 damascus knife, seems like it could fit the bill and is damned awesome.
Love production SBDs. Reate is so good for the money
Lord yes. I'm not in the EDC game much these days (my blade show trip might change that) but I snagged it off of the 2ndary based on the buzz. I would have NEVER thought a knife this nice could come out of a factory not name Chris Reeve. I've since gotten educated, but SBD is still one of the standard bearers in that area imo.

Still like my CRKs but for half the price these days you can get 3D contouring, inlays, internal milling...so much out there
I sold mine, to get kitchen knives, but I then got a Sebbie 25 in a trade and I ended up keeping it. They aren't head and shoulders ahead of other manufacturers anymore. In fact, I've heard buzz of their QC dropping, but that's almost always there in some respect. Some defects were mentioned, I can't remember specifically, that seemed surprising to hear, deficits in some of thr fundamental construction aspects, not just minor imperfections. I like mine

I sold mine, to get kitchen knives, but I then got a Sebbie 25 in a trade and I ended up keeping it. They aren't head and shoulders ahead of other manufacturers anymore. In fact, I've heard buzz of their QC dropping, but that's almost always there in some respect. Some defects were mentioned, I can't remember specifically, that seemed surprising to hear, deficits in some of thr fundamental construction aspects, not just minor imperfections. I like mine
Folder guys are worse than kitchen knife guys, they will argue about the smallest details like if a detent should be ceramic or if titanium liner lock interface should have a steel surface, etc. In the mean time the few that actually use their knives as knives and not fidget toys, just use the knives and don't worry about it. I've had 3 generations of sebbies, BG42, S35VN and now 31 MagnaCut, don't remember the models of the older ones. All very good and functional knives, even though I am not convinced they are worth their price to me. I wouldn't worry about the mentioned construction defects, these have been around for a long time and if you like yours use it.

I can speak to that a little bit. The 31's more often than not have a bit of vertical blade play, which is usually seen as quite dangerous as the blade can fail.

However, CRK in this case says it's due to the ceramic lock interface, and they are not concerned. Honestly, all my 31's have had a little bit of this vertical blade play if pushed near the tip, but I am not concerned in the least about failure. It's something I don't love, but not the end of the world.

In terms of CRK progress, I do think there is a fair point that there is a little regression in that sense since the umnumzaan and inkosi have had this ceramic interface for a decade +? And never had blade play issues. I'd also say 21's traditional detent makes them a bit smoother. But overall I like the direction they are headed. Happy to see the s45 and the magnacut done well. Would be cool to eventually see something contoured and with a bit more milling for the increased prices though.

Folder guys are worse than kitchen knife guys,
I don't know man, I think KKGs are just as bad but about different things than EDC guys. I've heard some stuff about HT's, JNSs, Grinds, etc on here that would rival any of their BS'ery on detent and lock bar faces. That crowd may be a touch more confrontational than this crowd, but I'm still not sure on that either :cheers:

I can speak to that a little bit. The 31's more often than not have a bit of vertical blade play, which is usually seen as quite dangerous as the blade can fail.

However, CRK in this case says it's due to the ceramic lock interface, and they are not concerned. Honestly, all my 31's have had a little bit of this vertical blade play if pushed near the tip, but I am not concerned in the least about failure. It's something I don't love, but not the end of the world.

In terms of CRK progress, I do think there is a fair point that there is a little regression in that sense since the umnumzaan and inkosi have had this ceramic interface for a decade +? And never had blade play issues. I'd also say 21's traditional detent makes them a bit smoother. But overall I like the direction they are headed. Happy to see the s45 and the magnacut done well. Would be cool to eventually see something contoured and with a bit more milling for the increased prices though.
They seem to be more curious and quicker to try some things out. I was surprised to see Magnacut as a blade option. And I was mistaken, I have a 31. I had a 25 and didn't like the action but the 31 feels great, it is S45vn, would have preferred magnacut, just to try, but I've been happy with the s45. I carry it at least once a week but I'm in a more casual office now and can get away with it.

Yeah it's funny, half the time I think kitchen knife people are way worse, and then EDC is way worse. Depends on the day lol.

By the way, if you have an s45 sebenza, you can get a new magnacut blade, I did. It might take 6+ months after you order a replacement but you don't have to send your knife in until the new blade is ready. $150 not too bad, and someone will probably pay around there for your old blade.

Not that there is anything wrong with s45. I think at the HRC, S45 has a touch higher edge retention. Just wanted to try out CRK magnacut.

Sure guys here can get too wrapped up over small stuff too, but at least heat treat and grinds matter for cutting performance. Lock design is not that important for cutting and as long as it works well it is fine. I even have folders without locks, oh the horror, how I still have all my digits is a mystery. One of my favorite and most used is Spyderco police in K390 with its ancient and outdated back lock and can you imagine the blade is not even perfectly centered. I should probably just throw it out since it is totally useless.

Believe it or not, I have had friends who have had knives with lock failure closing on them and resulting in pretty bad injury. I like a lot of different lock types and think most have its merit, just boils down to locking knives should lock. Never got into slippies but so many people love them, and it's a plus they are usually very slicey.

But yeah recently I am of the mindset kitchen knife guys are more obsessive and nerdy, if you include sharpening, and jnats/polishing. Way way more of a rabbit hole with the hundreds of different stones and that each are unique.

At the end of the day, in both hobbies I think you can get as much or as little into it as you want and it's all fine. Grab a sebenza and never think about a folder again, or a takamura/sukenari sg2 or something and be done with it, or go all out and fall down the jnat/super steel rabbit hole lol

Yeah, the overt complexities and the opportunity for mechanical innovation of folding knives appeals to certain brains. It's interesting to pick up the trends of my own in my different interests and hobbies. I now have a track record (since i'm almost 50) to compare notes and learn some things about myself. I am generally consistent in the 4 interests that involved acquiring things in the process: EDC/Sport knives, well made shoes, watches, and kitchen knives. I've amassed collections of all and I generally: A) Get too much; B) generally acquire items that could be considered a higher echelon than the average quality (average in my head, not a mathmetician's); C) Rarely, if ever, acquire something from the highest echelon brands of those interests; and D) no shelf, closet, safe, or drawer queens.
And, it translates to a lot more in my life it seems. I was an ultrarunner and mountain biker for a couple of decades and I just wanted to be above average but not the best. Seems like a more content place to be.

Believe it or not, I have had friends who have had knives with lock failure closing on them and resulting in pretty bad injury. I like a lot of different lock types and think most have its merit, just boils down to locking knives should lock. Never got into slippies but so many people love them, and it's a plus they are usually very slicey.

But yeah recently I am of the mindset kitchen knife guys are more obsessive and nerdy, if you include sharpening, and jnats/polishing. Way way more of a rabbit hole with the hundreds of different stones and that each are unique.

At the end of the day, in both hobbies I think you can get as much or as little into it as you want and it's all fine. Grab a sebenza and never think about a folder again, or a takamura/sukenari sg2 or something and be done with it, or go all out and fall down the jnat/super steel rabbit hole lol
The polishing guys are just nuts🤣 That part of the hobby has very little to do with knives, or rather with cutting. Perfect place for it in kitchen knife space since there is so much steel/iron to deal with. Part of the reason wrought, bloomery, etc are so popular. It is similar to how most people into kitchen knives are more into knives than into cooking, same with polishing, natural stone guys they are more into polishing than into knives.

Folder guys are more into fidgeting with knives than into cutting. More than half don't know how to sharpen in the first place and sell the knives as soon as they dull. Any lock can fail and some locks are badly made or designed, but that's not what is being discussed when quality locks are criticized for not having a steel insert or something like that. Most people get injured playing with the knives not actually cutting. When locks fail it is usually because of neglect, lock gets dirty or something gets into the lock and it doesn't engage correctly. Also folders are not fixed blades and that has to be taken into consideration, some actions need to be thought about before doing with a folder. In any case accidents happen with all knives and locks fail too regardless of the design. Every hobby I participated in has this phenomena where at some point equipment and the minute differences become more important than the hobby itself. Maybe we are just wired to overanalyze everything to death and that is why we participate in these in the first place.

Back