what are you shooting? (handgun thread)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also check out kahr T9 if you have a chance. Very nice double action trigger and very comfortable in the hand.

CZs are great too, especially the custom shop ones, but somewhat expensive.

There is also sig 210 target, the American made version if you are looking for a range toy with extreme accuracy.
That sig looks awesome!! I like that it's single action only and 3.5lb trigger sounds perfect. Unfortunately is a bit more than I want to spend cause that will leave me no room for ammo, lol.

Not seeing much love here for FNH and Kimber. Most of what I have is .45's but my Kimbers have all been flawless. Wouldn't hesitate getting one in a 9mm in a 1911 frame.

For a .22 plinker, Ruger Mk IV target is very cool and super accurate.

Ken
I wouldn't mind checking out the FN five seven

I’ve got an FS9. Nice shooter for the money. Usually $500 or less.

You mentioned that you didn’t like the HK VP9. Any reason? They make good guns and mine is very soft shooting and accurate. Cofigurable grips are nice.

If you want something a little different, check out the Grand Power Stribog. Just got one but haven’t shot it yet. Their regular handguns are very highly regarded.

Ken

I’ve got an FS9. Nice shooter for the money. Usually $500 or less.

You mentioned that you didn’t like the HK VP9. Any reason? They make good guns and mine is very soft shooting and accurate. Cofigurable grips are nice.

If you want something a little different, check out the Grand Power Stribog. Just got one but haven’t shot it yet. Their regular handguns are very highly regarded.

Ken
I'm just not a fan of any polymer frames, it was indeed very accurate.

If I could only own one pistol I can't recommend Sig P229 enough. Just a great feeling weapon with excellent accuracy and reliability. There is a reason most federal and many state officers carry it. It is all performance and no bling though.

Last edited:
watched a few videos on the sig p210, wow it's so smooth! but it doesnt appear to be in stock anywhere. :( guess i'll just have to try my luck on gunbroker

Last edited:
I have had a Ruger GP100 357 Magnum many years. My shooting buddy had a loader we would get brass at a indoor shooting range in Waikiki mainly used by Japanese tourists. We would load bullets on my kitchen table. We used to shoot at Koko Head Crater range. My friend had a long barrel 44 magnum handgun.

If I were to get another handgun it would be a clip feed smaller and lighter gun. Even a 22 caliper good for target shooting & ammo less expensive. You can get a 22 handgun and rifle.

I wouldn't mind checking out the FN five seven

IVAN CHESNOKOV TO THE RESCUE!

---------

MAIN POINT OF SELLING BELGIAN FIVE SEVEN PISTOL IS EXTREME PRICE OF WEAPON AND CARTRIDGE.

BELGIAN FIVE SEVEN IS WEAPON OF MAN WHO WEARS EXPENSIVE ITALIAN FASCIST SUIT OF HAND SEWING, DRIVE HUGE NAZI MERCEDES OF A.M.G. SHOP, SAIL ON MASSIVE YACHT TO GREEK ISLANDS. I THINK YOU GET PICTURE. BELGIAN FIVE SEVEN IS WEAPON THAT SAYS IS NO SUCH THING AS CONCERN OF MONEY.

FOR MAN WITHOUT EXPENSIVE SUIT, BIG BLACK MERCEDES, AND MASSIVE YACHT, BELGIAN FIVE SEVEN IS FOR PRETENDING TO BE RICH LIKE BLACK GANGSTER OF AMERICAN CITY WITH GOLD CHAINS OF LOW QUALITY AND JEWLS OF COLORED GLASS. WHEN YOU EXPLAIN USE OF BELGIAN FIVE SEVEN PISTOL IS ONLY FOR SHOOT MAN WITH BULLET VEST WITH CARTRIDGE ILLEGAL TO CIVILIAN. THIS MAN HAS NUCLEAR RAGE WHOS IDENTITY OF THIS MAN IS SPENT IN PRETEND PSTOL SHOWS HE IS RICH. IS VERY AMUSE.

FOR REST OF WORLD THERE IS 9 MILIMETERS OF LUGER WHICH IS SAME WOUND FOR LESS COST.

---------

https://m1-garand-rifle.com/ivan-chesnokov.php

-----------
5.7x28mm: Ingenious way to make a centerfire .22 Magnum and then charge quadruple price for the same ballistics. Awesome chambering for a police weapon…if you’re the park ranger in charge of the chipmunk exhibit at the zoo, and you want to make sure you can take one down if it turns rabid on you.

https://munchkinwrangler.wordpress.com/2008/12/06/sacred-cows-the-second-serving/

---------

There are a couple of both five seven pistols and PS90 (semi auto, 16" barrel version of the PDW) in the gun room.

Get a five seven if you're a collector and interested. As noted, the ammunition which gives it the designed for utility is not available to ordinary people. The original practice ammo which STILL was a bit too snappy for BATF to be happy isn't illegal to own, just ridiculously expensive.

If you come across an older PS90 with the "original" trigger pack, you might consider buying that, especially if youre an SG-1 fan.

Last edited:
WHY YOU WANT RAIL FOR KALASHNIKOV? IS NOT GOOD ENOUGH AS PROCURED FROM IZHEVSK MECHANICAL WORKS? YOU THINK NEEDS IMPROVEMENT? THEN MAYBE YOU FIND JOB WITH ARMY OF RUSSIA! YOU HAVE DRINKS WITH MIKHAIL KALASHNIKOV, TRADE STORY OF MANY WEAPONS DESIGNED AND DETAILS OF SCHOOL FOR ENGINEERING! OR MAYBE YOU NOT DO THIS.

PROBABLY IS BECAUSE YOU NEVER DESIGN WEAPON IN WHOLE LIFE. YOU LOOK AT FINE RUSSIAN RIFLE, THINK IT NEED CRAZY S**T STICK ON ALL SIDES OF WEAPON. YOU HAVE DISEASE OF AMERICAN CAPITALIST, CHANGE THING THAT IS FINE FOR NO REASON EXCEPT TO LOOK DIFFERENT FROM COMRADE.

YOU PUT CHEAP FLASHLIGHT OF CHINESE SLAVE FACTORY ON ONE SIDE, YOU PUT BAD SCOPE OF AMERICAN MIDDLE WEST ON OTHER SIDE, YOU PUT FRONT PISTOL GRIP ON BOTTOM SO YOU ARE LIKE AMERICAN MOVIE GUY JOHN RAMBO.MAYBE YOU PUT SEX DILDO ON TOP TO F**K YOURSELF IN A**HOLE FOR MAKING SHAMEFUL TRAVESTY OF RIFLE OF MIKHAIL KALASHNIKOV, NO?

RIFLE IS FINE. YOU F**K IT, IT ONLY GET HEAVY AND YOU STILL NO HIT LARGEST SIDE OF BARN. GO TO FIRING RANGE, PRACTICE WITH MANY MAGAZINE OF CARTRIDGE. THEN YOU NOT NEED DUMB S**T PUT ON SIDE OF RIFLE.

OMG this is CLASSIC...

...YOU PUT CHEAP FLASHLIGHT OF CHINESE SLAVE FACTORY ON ONE SIDE, YOU PUT BAD SCOPE OF AMERICAN MIDDLE WEST ON OTHER SIDE, YOU PUT FRONT PISTOL GRIP ON BOTTOM SO YOU ARE LIKE AMERICAN MOVIE GUY JOHN RAMBO.MAYBE YOU PUT SEX DILDO ON TOP TO F**K YOURSELF IN A**HOLE FOR MAKING SHAMEFUL TRAVESTY OF RIFLE OF MIKHAIL KALASHNIKOV, NO?

RIFLE IS FINE. YOU F**K IT, IT ONLY GET HEAVY AND YOU STILL NO HIT LARGEST SIDE OF BARN...

Shooting and reloading is my next biggest hobby and I have been doing it about 50 or so years.I have Glocks and Smith and Wesson M&P's,had Sigs,don't like them,had Springfields,don't like them either. Glocks,I have them but don't really care for them either.I favor the M&P's and a safe bet for a new guy would be an M&P 9MM with a safety. I know what all the glock guys are going to say or the cool kids in town but after seeing two firearm instructors almost shooting their leg off drawing a glock,I can see the virtues of a thumb safety.9mm bullets for self defense have come a long way and practice ammo for the 9mm is a lot cheaper then say a 40 cal. round.If you don't reload,I'd say get the 9. Better still would be a revolver,easy to clean and safer to handle.I have a S&W Snubby that shoots 38 specials.It's a lot of fun to shoot and holds some good self defence 38 rounds.

I think we lost Panda.

Don't buy something like Wilson as your first pistol. You wouldn't suggest a new knife user to get a multi thousand dollar unicorn, would you? Besides Les Baer better:D
This.......I had the 1-1/2" guaranteed model Les Baer 1911 , 45 acp and it did it too.1-1/2" 10 shot groups from a ransome rest at 50 yards. Sold it when I gave up competition and didn't loose a dime.Sold it to a guy that went on to win at Camp Perry with it.

The reason I want a target gun is because that's all I will be using it for. I don't care about home defense, lol. Plus there's nothing worse than lining the sights up on the target and bullet ends up way off, hella frustrating.

Sig p210 just checks off every box for me, I feel like I would be fixated on it if I go with anything else.. I do want the cz shadow also though, haha. I have definitely gone off the deep end into this hobby and I haven't even gotten the first purchase out of the way yet!!

Sig also makes a Max Michel Target model. 1911 frame, either 9mm or. 45. I have the. 45 and it's a sweet gun. Max Michel is a top ranked competitive shooter who designed the gun. Trigger, hammer, mag well, etc.

Ken

That is not abnormal. Most people shoot a 1911 better than a Beretta. I have no data to support my claim so don't stone me. Having said that, training as always is more important than the tool. People tend to want to buy equipment that will make them better, instead of investing in training this is after all what this forum is all about. In spirit of that I vote to go for the gun you want instead of settling :D if you've decided to go 9mm go for target cz or sig 210, my vote. If you want 1911 go for 45.

Last edited:
it's really just down to 2 choices for me at this point like you said target cz or sig 210.
i really want to stick with 9mm because 45 ammo prices are not pocket friendly, i want to shoot a lot of rounds! ive shot beretta 10x more than i have shot 1911, and i was more accurate with the 1911 (maybe because the skinnier grips?). i was more comfortable with the beretta though so i figured with training it would have been the better choice plus the a3 variant has the 1911 style grips.
if i were going strictly for looks, the sig 1911 stainless super target is stunning!!

funny you mention that about investing in the tool more than the actual use of it in reference to knives. i suspect many on this forum with fancy knives have truly awful knife skills, lol.

Even though we shot our 1911's for comp which were mostly made up of Colt Gold Cups,Baers and even big name customs,all of us had target 22 pistols as well and shot them more then anything for practice.Why?,even though we reloaded all our brass,it gets to the point it is such a pain to bend over and pick up all the brass that was ejected in between the shooting sessions and sorting them to their rightful owners.The 22's just got swept up and tossed and the fun went on.So a nice 22 target pistol makes good sense.Get the pistol of your dreams but I'll leave you with this thought.The man who took the crown away in our big competition at one of our local clubs,did so with an old stock WWll 1911 that was as loose as a goose and rattled till the cows came home.

You're absolutely correct. Practicing with a .22 is the best idea if you are shooting hundreds of rounds. The Ruger Mk IV is the perfect gun for this. Has the weight of a full size, cleaning is a snap with one button take down, and it is a good buy.

Another alternative is a .22 conversion kit for a 1911 frame, which can be had for a couple hundred.

Ken

You're absolutely correct. Practicing with a .22 is the best idea if you are shooting hundreds of rounds. The Ruger Mk IV is the perfect gun for this. Has the weight of a full size, cleaning is a snap with one button take down, and it is a good buy.

Another alternative is a .22 conversion kit for a 1911 frame, which can be had for a couple hundred.

Ken
Those conversion kits are expensive and a waste of money because they are the least accurate.I knew many who tried them and all of them were sorry they tried them.The Ruger is a good suggestion though and I have the RugerMKIII Target,a little bit of a pain to re assemble but the MK IV is the answer to that. I also have the Browning Buckmark Target and I actually like that more.It feel more like a 1911 in my hands then the Ruger,although it looks noting like a 1911,just such a good balance and much easier to disassemble and assemble. Usually anybody who takes target shooting seriously always ends up with a 22 rimfire pistol to add to their case with their big gun.And a serious big gun shooter need to lean to reload,just like a knife man needs to know how to sharpen.

Ruger has the Mark IV 22/45, which matches the 1911 feel a bit more than their other models.

We used them in my basic pistol marksmanship class, and I really enjoyed shooting them.

I concur that a .22LR is a good place to start.

Last edited:
Ruger had the Mark IV 22/45, which matches the 1911 feel a bit more than their other models.

We used them in my basic pistol marksmanship class, and I really enjoyed shooting them.

I concur that a .22LR is a good place to start.
I forgot all about the Ruger 22/45. I vaguely recall somebody having one but I never shot it for fear I might like it and end up with more stuff to carry to the indoor range.

Nelson conversion 22 is excellent, but expensive. More expensive than regular versions of Ruger MK IV and you don't get a second pistol, but you stay with the same controls and similar feel.

ive shot a mark iv and it misfired/jammed so often it soured the whole experience.
Got to clean them once in a while. When mine started to jam,I knew it was time to clean it.Some bullets just have so much wax on them that it can really gum things up pretty fast.

Back