Unsung Hero Knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

choppuchoppu

Reaction score
We've all seen the forum favorites, shigs, Katos, Tanakas, toy-nabes,etc but what are some of the underrated knife makers you enjoy? I really want to support some of the smaller underdogs of the knife world.
Some of my favorites are Kei Kobayashi and Hokiyama (I know they are budget mass produced knives but they do take a lot of pride in their work).

any chance you could compare to honesuki or western boning knife? interested in something like this for sure
I've never used a honesuki and my experience with western boning knives is limited to the thin, flexible fillet knives used for fish. This is quite robust in the spine, and while very sharp it isn't delicate at all, there's enough meat behind edge you can knick a bone without consequence, plus blue 2 is fairly forgiving in my experience. Honestly it reminds me of my Munetoshi (gyuto). Stiff and confidence inspiring, handle is pretty rough but I find that to be a benefit for this type of work where fat doesn't make it dangerous to hold. Upswept tip is perfect for the type of cuts I do when cleaning game or trimming butts. Not very reactive so far, I caught my wife using it for tomatoes and it didn't fuss...though it was pretty good on tomatoes to my surprise.

Thicc spine

20230102_165759.jpg

Choil

20230102_165632.jpg

Side profile

20230102_165820.jpg

I've never used a honesuki and my experience with western boning knives is limited to the thin, flexible fillet knives used for fish. This is quite robust in the spine, and while very sharp it isn't delicate at all, there's enough meat behind edge you can knick a bone without consequence, plus blue 2 is fairly forgiving in my experience. Honestly it reminds me of my Munetoshi (gyuto). Stiff and confidence inspiring, handle is pretty rough but I find that to be a benefit for this type of work where fat doesn't make it dangerous to hold. Upswept tip is perfect for the type of cuts I do when cleaning game or trimming butts. Not very reactive so far, I caught my wife using it for tomatoes and it didn't fuss...though it was pretty good on tomatoes to my surprise.

Thicc spine

View attachment 217923

Choil

View attachment 217924

Side profile

View attachment 217925
wow thank you amazing reviews! might need to pick one up. seems pretty unique

Togashi’s tall bunka. Not sure if sr or any of the jr’s work, but man does it handle everything you throw at it.

Gets little love around here, it’s white #2, budget friendly and weird as hell. Heavy heavy for what it is and more steel to play with than you can shake a stick at.

Absolutely monstrous with a high grit edge. For about 3 preps.

Togashi’s tall bunka. Not sure if sr or any of the jr’s work, but man does it handle everything you throw at it.

Gets little love around here, it’s white #2, budget friendly and weird as hell. Heavy heavy for what it is and more steel to play with than you can shake a stick at.

Absolutely monstrous with a high grit edge. For about 3 preps.
I need to check this out

More affordable entry-level western handle knives.... or even western handle knives in general. You don't need to spend a fortune to get a good knife that could be enoguh to last you forever. They might not be as sexy but for a lot of people they're incredibly practical.

Heck yes.
View attachment 217951
Super super useful. No fancy tapers or nice finish, just messy hammered and a nice stock convex. Mine was ground kinda low, newer ones the shinogi looks quite a bit higher.
The grind is super impressive for the price and style of the blade. I have a tinker tank but I think this would be fun to try out!

Back