Unpopular opinions

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wait, we have shake shack in France now?
Five guys is way overpriced and from the ones I tried it sucks. A friend swears by it, but from what he cooked, he has really poor taste sooo wouldn't trust his opinion

edit: couldn't find shake shack in France :(
Je suis désolé, by 'here' I meant the UK!

Potato buns are the superior burger bun over brioche (too rich) and the buns Five Guys use (too flimsy).

Shake Shack also season their patties properly so that you don't need tons of other toppings for flavour. They have a slight funk to them, so I suspect there must be some kind of dry aging going on. Often when US-based chains open in the UK, they are shite imitations of the real thing (looking at you Popeye and Wendy's), but Shake Shack deserves the hype.

Here’s a hot take people probably aren’t expecting from me. In terms of edge sharpening western style double bevel knives, there are plenty of other better choices than jnats 🫢
He plays with a Washita for FIVE MINUTES... 😂

There’s no such thing as the ‘best’ hamburger, except with the opinion of an individual eater—it’s too subjective regarding bun/meat/extras.

IMHO, NYC has the best hamburgers—JG Melon and Corner Bistro have some of the best burgers in NYC.

Burgers, like pizza, and fried chicken are too ubiquitous to define what constitutes a proper/best hamburger. I’m not a purist, will happily eat a diverse range of the humble hamburger—from Oklahoma burgers to Korean burgers, to McDonald's. A notable NYC burger I had recently was a Pakistani hala riff from BK Jani—a good burger patty with mint chutney, cucumber raita, grilled tomato.

Quick survey of some notable burgers:

BLACKBURGER.jpg

Black Burgers from Burger King in Japan. Gonna seek these out when I visit.

Screenshot 2024-05-11 at 11.40.22 AM.png

The recently much hyped Oklahoma Burger
1b1a25e08bea04bafa6c1dcb740d7531.png

David Chang's bucket list, masterpiece of a burger from Momofuku Ko

Screenshot 2024-05-11 at 3.00.50 PM.png

One of the best burgers in NYC is at JG Melon. [Might go on Monday, ...it's been a while]

Attachments

• 1200x800.jpg
    1200x800.jpg
    253.4 KB · Views: 0
notable burgers

interesting burgers. that black one looks wild.

in this discussion of fast casual burgers, i actually forgot about oklahoma burgers, but that is actually my FAVORITE burger rn. i've only had them at home, though.

to my eye, the chang and jg melon burgers don't look particularly interesting, but i believe you that they taste good. the jg melon patty in particular actually looks bad though lol like a kid's first time making a burger. dry, too thick, misshapen. hrmmm

To me best burgers are done on open grills at home. Kiawe wood & charcoal.

Chared on outside juicy on inside. Then as you say exactly what you or guest want on the burger. There is no right or wrong.

Most all fast food use frozen meat they have to. Mix your own fresh not too much salt in the mix so stay juicy more seasoning on top of the burger. I like little worcestershire sauce, onions, & garlic s&p that's it.

interesting burgers. that black one looks wild.

in this discussion of fast casual burgers, i actually forgot about oklahoma burgers, but that is actually my FAVORITE burger rn. i've only had them at home, though.

to my eye, the chang and jg melon burgers don't look particularly interesting, but i believe you that they taste good. the jg melon patty in particular actually looks bad though lol like a kid's first time making a burger. dry, too thick, misshapen. hrmmm

That JG Melon burger pic was from the internet, they're one of my fave burger experiences, an iconic place to have a burger in NYC. I've not tried the Chang/Momofuku burger, buy would love to—I like the guy and Momofoku in general, though haven't been in a good while.

Chared on outside juicy on inside. Then as you say exactly what you or guest want on the burger. There is no right or wrong.

Most all fast food use frozen meat they have to. Mix your own fresh not too much salt in the mix so stay juicy more seasoning on top of the burger. I like little worcestershire sauce, onions, & garlic s&p that's it.
Hey. Where to you get your kiawe wood, I was only able to buy it once for smoking meat, at Safeway, but haven't come across it since. Been using cherry/hickory/pecan/applewood from City Mill. Need an easily accessible kiawe source.

gosh darn it guys, i've been eating healthy lately and successfully un-fuϲking my cholesterol, but i think the best burger i can get my hands on may be in my future. might go out for one or just make an oklahoma burger.

I believe McDonald’s switched from frozen to fresh beef patties back in 2018.

Kiawe trees all over have branches on the ground. I carry a box in Subaru put sticks & branches in it. Walking around punchbowl plenty kiawe see Hawaiians loading up trucks.
If I lived there I'd do the same, but as a visitor I'm looking for wood chips/blocks I can buy in a store. There's a lot of kiawe trees on the hill a block from my parent's, but unfortunately don't have time to hike/forage.

Bruh I know this is the unpopular opinions thread but what the double hockey sticks is this ****?!
Every brownie I have ever had has that nasty bitter black cocoa thing going on, in an odd coarse gummy matrix of “cake.” No self-respecting European would recognize them as a confection.

I have a colossal sweet tooth. But if brownies were free and the only thing available, I’d give up sweets, period.

Every brownie I have ever had has that nasty bitter black cocoa thing going on, in an odd coarse gummy matrix of “cake.” No self-respecting European would recognize them as a confection.

I have a colossal sweet tooth. But if brownies were free and the only thing available, I’d give up sweets, period.

A brownie is just something made of chocolate that is in between cake and fudge. If Europeans can't figure out how to to make that taste good then you aren't as good a cooks as I assumed.

Back