Unpopular opinions

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Y
Makes sense, thanks @stringer ! Been doing the double rock for a few years after seeing you do garlic that way. It always seemed the safest option due to no torque, but maybe I’ll try experimenting with some single rock next time I’m doing a few bunches of scallions

I find that I transition pretty seamlessly between the three push vs guilliotine vs rock. For scallions or chives I will start the cut push cutting but often transition to guillotine and glide and end rocking. I have more fine motor control for the last bit with the blade in contact with the board than trying to push all the way through the cut.

When I lived in metro areas … regularly. Now that I live in that place behind the middle of nowhere, not so much.
Last month I visited that place behind the middle of nowhere.
2BAC4695-90B0-47D6-9D9A-AD0A84EB25D7.jpg

B8BBF238-136B-46F2-82F6-BAFCB0FDE46B.JPG

What e-reader platform do you use? I should revisit e-readers. Unfortunately I had a bad e-reader experience years ago that has soured me. I've a massive cookbook collection—I value the design/photography/typography/tactile elements of physical books, appreciate things like binding/paper stock/printing quality.

My most recent cookbook purchase was Rintaro, which is gorgeous IMHO.

View attachment 314855
View attachment 314856
I got a Kobo Clara 2e most recently. I like it quite a bit. It supports ePub format natively alongside many other formats.

My ideal for graphic rich books is a pdf alongside the physical artifact. Best of both worlds.

Hobbies are less fun when everything is reduced to a numerical comparison of technical superiority. “The shiny thing called to me” is a perfectly valid reason to buy and like something.
Yes and no. I’ve actually enjoyed dance more now that I’m competing.

I buy physical books for cooking and for things I really want to keep.

Buying a dedicated ereader changed everything for me.

Everything else is digital now. I read too much and too fast for physical books to be tenable, especially when traveling. Being able to check out ebooks from the library was amazing.

I sold most of my physical books to a secondhand store.
I mostly do audiobooks now. It allows me to consume books while I’m at work.

I love museums. One of favorites in EU was in Germany Art Nouveu & Puppets.
Holland Van Gogh. Paris Impressionist

In DC Aviation, Natural History. The Honolulu Museum of Art is spectacular setting open courtyards beautiful building with wonderful Eastern and Western art.
I spend time in the Honolulu Museum every time I visit the islands—used to take art classes there when I was a kid. The Gauguin is one of their gems, recently saw the Hockney print show. Good location, after seeing art—grab a bowl of spicy ramen at Junpuu a block away.

Here in NYC, it's art gallery and museums galore.

Hobbies are less fun when everything is reduced to a numerical comparison of technical superiority. “The shiny thing called to me” is a perfectly valid reason to buy and like something.
I'm a Luddite when it comes to hobbies, and a often impulsive collector, buying what gets my heart racing.

Are you in California, Nevada or the tiny bit in Arizona?
Currently in ‘Fornia. When I lived in Cali, that’s where there are musea.
I love museums. One of favorites in EU was in Germany Art Nouveu & Puppets.
Holland Van Gogh. Paris Impressionist

In DC Aviation, Natural History. The Honolulu Museum of Art is spectacular setting open courtyards beautiful building with wonderful Eastern and Western art.
I have many many good memories of the Smithsonian (grew up just outside the Beltway).

Vienna has a lovely natural history museum and the technology museum has the machine (very early digital computer) on which dad earned his Ph. D.
However my favorite was the museum of timepieces, choc-a-bloc with masterpieces from the 16th through 18th centuries.

The staff keeps everything operational and wound up. I was there at noon once. It was Pink Floyd x John Cage. Awesome.

n. b. I am using masterpiece in the original sense. A journeyman seeking to attain master status in the guild turned in a work intended to demonstrate master-level skill. Senior people in the guild would evaluate it. Not dissimilar to a doctoral thesis today.

I had a Howdy Doody string puppet from early 1950's when I was a kid the show on TV in black & white. Later living in Hawaii learned that many cultures had puppet shows both EU, America's, & all over East Asian countries. In 1980 traveled EU with 90 day rail pass. Like both Art Nouveau & Deco. Paris was wonderful with Nouveau architecture accents. Museum in Germany I was in awe of many great wooden Puppets.
Don't know if any exist at all anymore in our modern digital world. Puppets were used to tell stories lost art.

I go to Carnegie Hall a lot. I have to tell you the average age of the people I see at Carnegie Hall is probably at least 50…I feel pretty young whenever I’m there…
I’ve worked in Classical music my whole adult life. Gray hairs are our bread and butter. Always has been, always will be.

I’ve worked in Classical music my whole adult life. Gray hairs are our bread and butter. Always has been, always will be.

"Gray hair is a crown of glory. It is attained by living a righteous life."

That is an actual verse from the book of Proverbs in the Bible. Learned it as a little kid. I am grateful to get a little more righteous each day. Some days more than others!

Back