Ultra-high protein flour

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michi

I dislike attempts to rewrite history
Reaction score
I just stumbled across this at a shop and decided to grab a kilo:

1714194639603.jpeg

The protein content is 21.8%, which is almost twice that of a normal bread flour.

1714194746202.jpeg

I'll make some bread with this. No idea how that will pan out. I assume that the extra protein comes from added gluten. The bread may well turn out to be too chewy and rubbery because of this, but it's worth a try. Worst comes to worst, I can mix it with my normal bread flour in a 10-90% ratio and use it up that way.

Hrm, what about trying fresh egg pasta? Extra chewiness -could- be amazing
I like the pasta idea, that might be worth a try!

I use Caputo (15% protein) and are kind of curious how this goes.
I also use Caputo Manitoba Oro for most of my breads. That's a really good flour which I like a lot.

Who knows, that flour might be awful. But I'll give it a shot. Will report back eventually. It'll be a week or two.

I just stumbled across this at a shop and decided to grab a kilo:

View attachment 317886

The protein content is 21.8%, which is almost twice that of a normal bread flour.

View attachment 317887

I'll make some bread with this. No idea how that will pan out. I assume that the extra protein comes from added gluten. The bread may well turn out to be too chewy and rubbery because of this, but it's worth a try. Worst comes to worst, I can mix it with my normal bread flour in a 10-90% ratio and use it up that way.
Wow! That's high!! Super light and chewy bread and extremely chewy ramen noodles 🍜 🍞

I often mix in some Caputo Manitoba in with the Caputo Cuoca for pizza, up to 25% or so...interesting experiment!

I mean... you can just dope normal flour with gluten if that's what you're into.

That’s interesting! Never seen a flour over 15% protein (manitoba).

Let us know how your loaf will come out. Mostly the crumb, I am assuming it’s going to be elastic!

You could really drop the salt content and still get great elasticity. Very interested in how it goes.

I made my usual sourdough rye beer bread using this flour today. As suggested on the Vetta website, I upped the hydration a little by adding 5% extra beer to both the soaker and the main dough.

The dough definitely is high in gluten. After kneading, I did the usual three rounds of one-hour rise followed by slap and fold. The dough is noticeably stickier and stretchier than the one I make with Caputo Manitoba Oro flour (14 % protein). I had the dough in the fridge overnight and then gave it another three hours at room temperature before baking. The rise turned out much the same as with my normal dough, taking about the same amount of time and producing the same bulk.

The final shaping was quite a challenge because the dough had a lot of spring-back. Every time I tried to stretch it out into a sheet so I could fold and roll it, the dough "fought back" and kept snapping back to nearly its original shape. It was also stickier than what I am used to. Overall, it behaved a little like chewing gum during shaping. In the end, I had to modify my usual shaping technique because there simply was no way that I could stretch out the dough into a sheet thin enough to fold and roll the way I usually do.

I used the same temperature as usual for baking. I didn't get quite as much oven spring this time, but I would not necessarily blame the flour for this. How much oven spring I get is still fairly variable for me, and I have yet to figure out why it is sometimes less than other times.

Here is the result:

1715425155066.jpeg

The loaf darkened a little quicker than usual. This might be due to the change in hydration or the flour (or both), I'm not entirely sure. At any rate, I pulled the loaf a little earlier, after 45 minutes of total baking time. Core temperature was 96 ºC (205 ºF) at that point.

The crumb turned out fine, nice and even:

1715425370217.jpeg

The aroma and taste are (not surprisingly) the same as usual. The texture is good, nice and substantial without being too chewy. There is a difference to my usual flour though: overall, this bread feels a little more dense and substantial in texture. Not that I would call it rubbery (far from it), but I can definitely tell that it has more gluten than usual. There is just that bit more springiness and "heaviness" in the crumb.

In terms of nutrition, the caloric value of this flour (339 kcal) is about the same as that of Manitoba Oro (350 kcal), but it contains 1.5 times as much protein and 3 times as much fiber, and only 0.76 times as much carbohydrates, so one could argue that this is a healthier flour. Some people might want to use it for that reason alone.

Overall, I'll call this experiment a success. This flour definitely works for bread baking. I'm not sure that I would switch to this flour for my breads on a regular basis though. Not that it is worse than my usual flour (nor is it better). It's simply different, but not so much that I would chase this particular texture on a regular basis.

Where I can really see it working is for New York style bagels, where the dense and chewy texture is desirable. I'll probably do a batch of these soon, omitting the Vital wheat gluten that is in the recipe but using the Vetta flour instead of Manitoba Oro.

Great feedback and nice loaf. What was the total hydration % of the dough? I can picture the dough being feisty, springing back after being stretched. The dark color might come from beer. It’s got a great rustic color and the crumb shot is good. Wouldn’t expect an open crumb for this combo of high protein % and beer. And how do u check internal temp? I don't like to poke the loaf while still hot. I just let it sit to cool off and lose that extra steam inside.

Thanks for sharing this experiment. Great info!

Back