(Tristate Area) Earthquake?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At first I wondered if it was some kind of subway accident. But then I realized I didn't live close enough to a subway for that to be the case... everyone in our multistory apartment went outside and we decided we would spend the rest of the day in the park across the street, far from any buildings, to be safe. I had just gone back inside when the aftershock hit.

I did a little more research into where one should be during an earthquake. The consensus seems to be that building collapse is not likely in the U.S. When an earthquake starts, find the nearest load-bearing wall and/or a sturdy table to hide under. Walls around staircases tend to be stronger. But don't go down any stairs because the earthquake shaking will likely make you fall.

I was afraid of a stronger earthquake the second time around - in 2011, Japan had a magnitude 9.0 earthquake 2 days after a magnitude 7.3 earthquake. Strong earthquakes in the Himalayas are preceded by a weaker earthquake 10% of the time. But the behavior is different in different parts of the world, and in the NYC metro area, this doesn't really happen. The strongest earthquake in the NYC metro area was a 5.2 in 1884, apparently.

I’m pretty fascinated by the quake. I was on the 4th floor of a 5 story building in the hallway and it felt like we shook and whipped from side to side for 2 seconds. At first I thought the trash truck smacked the building again, but that wasn’t the case. Coworker thought it was strong wind but the trees weren’t moving at all. My office on the ground floor of the building said they didn’t feel anything. A coworker about 30 mins away said it lasted 30-45 seconds, as did my wife.

felt a bit of a rumble and some of the windows shake at work. never felt one before being from florida so it was pretty cool and also kinda bizarre. didnt feel the aftershock a bit later tho.

Back