The "Let's Talk About This Knife" Thread.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HumbleHomeCook

Embrace your knifesculinity!
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
This was brought up by @enrico I believe with the idea being to declutter another thread but still have a place to just discuss knives we see that may or not be for sale. The Knife Finding thread can get bogged down and a lot of us are probably already subscribed to many of those IG accounts and newsletters anyway. That thread was originally started as a place to discuss rare or hard to find knives that pop up. I'm guilty for posting knives other than that in the thread so no judgement here.

But, that doesn't mean we don't still want to talk about those knives. So here we go. Post up those knives you want discuss. :)

I'll start with this one by our own @MSicardCutlery:

It's no secret I'm a Gold Card member of the Sicard Fan Club but this knife really is highlighting his growth in such a short time. In my opinion, there's a real maturity of craftsmanship exhibited here. That's in no way saying Matt's previous or other work wasn't/isn't good, it most definitely is, just that this is the kind of knife you make after your skills have grown.

I don't know who is getting this one but it sure looks like they are going to get a treat!

Not necessarily the knife, but the maker:

The man behind the myth, Mazaki-san

I'm still putting it through the paces but I'm really digging the Sugi 2023 profile I got from ashy. Definitely way more in line with my expectations of thick spine (about 5mm at neck) with a strong distal taper, super thin useful tip, and thin BTE. Not quite so thin as a Yoshikane or Kochi that are always threatening to bite in to the cutting board but pretty close, inspires a bit more confidence. I hate the handle and will switch out soon. Slightly less of a flat spot than my previous 2022 K&S migaki 240 of his but still quite enjoyable. Did a full progression and finished on a coticule, it's kept a lovely edge through 2 weeks of daily home cooking with daily tomatoes and lots of onions and peppers so I'm happy with edge retention, no discernable drop off yet.

I've posted all this in snippets around different parts of the forum but figured a consolidation was appropriate here for any folks researching/considering new profile.

20230805_131942.jpg

20230805_131852.jpg

20230801_175734.jpg

20230801_175759.jpg

I have this guy arriving tomorrow. 225x57 52100 at 62hrc. Look at that spine/choil!! $245.00 shipped is just ridiculous. Assuming the knife is good I would think he could blow up quickly.

I have one with similar specs.. you’re gonna love it.

Edit - he’s gone from a 1 week turnaround on customs to about 6 weeks now I believe. That’s just since his passaround started. His stuff is good, like really good.

This was brought up by @enrico I believe with the idea being to declutter another thread but still have a place to just discuss knives we see that may or not be for sale. The Knife Finding thread can get bogged down and a lot of us are probably already subscribed to many of those IG accounts and newsletters anyway. That thread was originally started as a place to discuss rare or hard to find knives that pop up. I'm guilty for posting knives other than that in the thread so no judgement here.

But, that doesn't mean we don't still want to talk about those knives. So here we go. Post up those knives you want discuss. :)

I'll start with this one by our own @MSicardCutlery:

It's no secret I'm a Gold Card member of the Sicard Fan Club but this knife really is highlighting his growth in such a short time. In my opinion, there's a real maturity of craftsmanship exhibited here. That's in no way saying Matt's previous or other work wasn't/isn't good, it most definitely is, just that this is the kind of knife you make after your skills have grown.

I don't know who is getting this one but it sure looks like they are going to get a treat!

Very happy with how it turned out, I asked for some filthy wrought and he delivered.

I'm still putting it through the paces but I'm really digging the Sugi 2023 profile I got from ashy. Definitely way more in line with my expectations of thick spine (about 5mm at neck) with a strong distal taper, super thin useful tip, and thin BTE. Not quite so thin as a Yoshikane or Kochi that are always threatening to bite in to the cutting board but pretty close, inspires a bit more confidence. I hate the handle and will switch out soon. Slightly less of a flat spot than my previous 2022 K&S migaki 240 of his but still quite enjoyable. Did a full progression and finished on a coticule, it's kept a lovely edge through 2 weeks of daily home cooking with daily tomatoes and lots of onions and peppers so I'm happy with edge retention, no discernable drop off yet.

I've posted all this in snippets around different parts of the forum but figured a consolidation was appropriate here for any folks researching/considering new profile.

View attachment 261317
View attachment 261318
View attachment 261319
View attachment 261320
I have been enjoying your enjoyment of the new Maz over the past few weeks second hand 😍

That profile, spine and choil is perfection.

How do you find sharpening?

The W#2 in my recent hon San mai copy is so hard that it’s actually quite tough to raise a burr from - seems harder than his older HT from past copies I’ve owned.

I have been enjoying your enjoyment of the new Maz over the past few weeks second hand 😍

That profile, spine and choil is perfection.

How do you find sharpening?

The W#2 in my recent hon San mai copy is so hard that it’s actually quite tough to raise a burr from - seems harder than his older HT from past copies I’ve owned.
It was suspiciously easy and well behaved. I started at Chosera 800 and got a burr quite easily, even got one on Chosera 3k without much effort/intention. Feels fairly similar to what the 2022 was if I recall correctly.

View attachment 261317
View attachment 261318
View attachment 261319
View attachment 261320

Might just snag this one and give Mazaki a try and since I also want to try some White 2.

I have this guy arriving tomorrow. 225x57 52100 at 62hrc. Look at that spine/choil!! $245.00 shipped is just ridiculous. Assuming the knife is good I would think he could blow up quickly.

I'm glad you bought that because I wouldn't have been able to resist it. You should check out the pass around thread if you haven't already done so:

https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/threads/eddworks-passaround.65582/
I have 6 of Eddie's knives so far and love all of them. He's been great to work with on several customs and my 260mm 52100 gyuto that is a very slightly flatter profile than the pass around knife is one of my top 2-3 favorite knives overall. I can't recommend him enough.

Back