Main plate Stir-fry Beef with Kaffir Lime Sauce

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Briochy

Reaction score
I'm from Thailand and one of my favourite dishes, when I ate out at a Thai Restaurant called Taling-Pling, is this one. Sadly, they discontinued this dish when I was in Primary school and I was literally crying when I found out. Last year, I decided to imitate the dish based on my memory and I think it was pretty close. Anyway, let's get to the dish.
Portions: 2
Ingredient
  1. 400g beef (I use bavette sliced thinly on a bias (around 3mm thick). Skirt would also work, but I don't like tenderloin as much)
  2. Never measured, but I guess around 3-4 Tbsp Ketchup (basically until it is sweet and acidic enough)
  3. 1/2 beaten egg
  4. Around 2 Tbsp oyster sauce
  5. 2 tsp soy sauce
  6. 1 tsp corn starch + more to thicken the sauce if necessary
  7. 2+1 Tbsp Vegetable oil
  8. 3 medium cloves of garlic, chopped
  9. 4 bird's eye chili, chopped (or less cuz this amount makes it pretty firey)
  10. About 10 kaffir lime leaves crushed in hand
  11. Other herbs (Thai basil, holy basil, lemongrass) ,if desired would also work, but was not in the original dish
Directions
  1. Mix beef with soy sauce, oyster sauce, beaten egg and cornstarch and let it rest for at least 15 min
  2. Add 2 Tbsp oil to a WELL preheated wok on the highest heat possible and add the marinated beef, then fry until cooked and brown
  3. Set aside the beef in a plate
  4. Lower the heat to medium and add 1 Tbsp of oil, chili, and garlic, fry until fragrant. DO NOT burn them
  5. Add ketchup and the beef back, then mix, taste, adjust with sauces/salt/cornstarch slurry
  6. Add kaffir lime leaves and cook ONLY for 15-20 seconds further
  7. Serve with steamed rice, crispy fried egg, and some lime on the side
Overall, this dish should be fragrant, sweet and sour with saltiness in the background. The sauce should be shiny and glazing the beef nicely. If you have some nice vine-ripened tomatoes, you can also add that before returning the beef back. Sorry, I haven't got pictures. I'll post some the next time I make this amazing and easy dish.

Sounds nice, any chance you could post a photo of the finished product?

Do you use fresh kaffir lime leaves, and do you remove them before eating?

Do you use fresh kaffir lime leaves, and do you remove them before eating?
Yes, use the fresh one. In Thailand, we serve the herb on the plate, but just don't eat it (much like how you serve ribs on bones).

I finnaly cooked it again! But silly me, I didn't know I don't have enough ketchup left. Ideally, you want it to be kinda reddish brown, but this was still good. My friend cooked green bean in fermented shrimp paste and coconut milk. It's a filipino dish. The whole meal was great.

Attachments

• 20200201_120010.jpg
    20200201_120010.jpg
    243.1 KB · Views: 96
  • 20200201_120309.jpg
    20200201_120309.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 95
  • 20200201_123824.jpg
    20200201_123824.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 98
  • 20200201_124117.jpg
    20200201_124117.jpg