Starter pack giveaway

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
When I first started pondering my way into knives, sharpening natural whetstones, there was no one there to guide me, teach me. I had to experience and find out my self, whether stones or knives. I got scammed during experience, I wasted money in this experience. So I'm here to start a starter pack giveaway for those who probably just started finding interest in Jnat, Sharpening knives and cooking. The pack will include a second hand knife (knida rusty maybe) for you to renovate, sand paper, stones, finger stones, handle, sheath what ever you might need. To sign up post a story of how you started to find interest in knives, stones, Jnats or cooking. ( this giveaway is kinda only for those who just started and is in need, if you don't need it but still want to post a story just add NOT ATTENDING). I'll number each post and use a random number selector when there is 100 of them. I'll cover for 20 usd worth of shipping ( which I believe is almost all over the world).
( Also taking suggestions for what should be in the starter pack)

My interest in sharpening started recently when I wanted to restore my grandfather's old knives he passed down to me. None of them are worth anything except in sentimental value and I thought it'd be fun to fix em up. Then I started buying Japanese knives. I have three Shapton stones, metal files, and sandpaper which I feel is a decent way to start. I haven't gone down the jnat rabbit hole yet but my curiosity keeps grabbing at me. 😁

I still suck at sharpening but I was lucky enough to pick up a beater knife from a member here so I didn’t feel too bad learning on it.
I can manage a decent edge but nothing impressive lol. Recently decided to start down the shaving & razor rabbit hole so jnats might be the next step. Seems very intimidating though

Wow, this giveaway was literally built for me! I've only recently begun my journey down this rabbit hole, but I'm falling fast. I've been a chef all my life, but just actually stepped away from professional cooking a few months ago, when I started working in the custom playing cards industry. And in fact, my love of collecting playing cards eventually paved the way for the thing I'm truly passionate about collecting: Knives. Simultaneously, all the love I used to have for cooking and food experimentation came flooding back after it was no longer my job. Perhaps fittingly, it was only after my chef career ended, and I took a trip to Japan to meet my in-laws, that I began to be truly interested in (and able to afford) nice knives. In fact, for most of my career as a chef, I used a 240mm Global as my primary driver. I know, I'm scheduled for the gallows at noon 🤣

So far I have acquired a few good 240mm gyutos (Tanaka Kyuzo Migaki, Kipp, and a Migoto) from some great folks here on the forum, a watanabe nakiri which I ordered direct, and a couple other ones.

Sharpening is the next big journey for me. I did pick up a Cerax 1000 and Rika 5000, at the recommendation of someone I've since learned not to listen to (not to say that they are bad stones at all). I then managed to score a great deal on the forum for a Naniwa pro trio: 400, 800, and 3000.

So far, I've practiced sharpening about 4 knives - just cheap stainless stuff that was sitting around the house. I was happy to be able to bring them from dull to decently sharp, but I obviously have a very very long way to go. I don't have the confidence to sharpen my nice carbon blades just yet, but I'm working up to it for sure. Recieving a package like this would be just the thing to jumpstart my journey into sharpening, and eventually, polishing.

Thank you so much for your generosity with these giveaways. This type of stuff seems like the truest heart of this forum

Last edited:
Wow that's really kind of you.

I've just started my journey down this rabbit hole.

Was in Japan earlier this year and wanted to buy a j knife. Ended up with a tojiro vg10 gyuto based on a last minute Google search.

Didn't start cutting with it until I got back home, but was not exactly blown away by it. I refused to believe that's all j knife is about. So I started reading more about j knife on Reddit, and eventually moved over to kkf when Reddit went offline.

I was fascinated with what I've read, and decided to wander down the rabbit hole. I've since purchased a few more knives and synthetic stones. Obviously still in the process of learning how to sharpen, so far I've been sharpening only my old beater knives, I've yet to try on my j knives.

Maybe thirty years ago, my mother was gifted a set of Chopper King cleavers from my grandfather, who was visiting from Taiwan. Her favorite was a rou gui dao, a vegetable slicer that looks like a cleaver with a point. It is a three layer clad knife. Being somewhat brittle, the carbon steel core developed a bad chip at some point. It went unused as my mother didn't know how to sharpen it.

At some point, the knife was sent to a local sharpener at the farmer's market, who unfortunately mangled it. Well intentioned as he was, he thought it was a meat cleaver and worked it over aggressively with a grinder. It's sharp enough, and it looks great, but it was a razor once. The knife went back to the drawer.

When I started cooking, I learned that I could hone my own knives on the bottom of a diner mug. Sometimes I will strop them on cardboard with some Tripoli polish when I have a lot of ripe tomatoes or salmon skin. It works good enough that I've never felt the need to buy proper whetstones.

But I know my mother's knife, with its history and craftsmanship, deserves better. It has a split in the handle that needs some epoxy, and the cladding has very light rust. It needs to be thinned behind the edge. I want learn to sharpen well enough on stones that I can restore it properly so that it can be used again.

I have been into collecting knives about 15 years ago. Mainly pocket and tactical. During that time, I started wanting to make knives but I was overwhelmed. My interest in knives waned altogether but picked back up a couple of years ago. I made sure to have a solid set of knives in the kitchen, bought one-at-a-time, nothing too fancy (by our standards) but not too shabby either. Then, early this year, i got a simple Takamura petty, and that woke something back up. Fast forward now and I have two drawers full of knives from various makers and I am a beginner blacksmith and signed up to take a knife forging class. I have been getting into freehand sharpening after having an Edgepro for a decade. I am getting some sweet carbon knives now also and have been hesitating on the Jnat dive, because it might be a while before I come out.

Love it ,ur doing gods work bud 🫡
Reecently picked up hobby again(few yrs with only chuka bocho) ,sold my collection due cancer and spinalcord injury. Now im getting into polishing since i cant do much physical actives. Jnat bug bite me bad.
I do not need this ,i can buy my own.
Lovely deal fo someone who is rlly just starting out.
Love ya , this is super neat deal!

Ps. Im cured now , i knock fk outta that mtfk 😆

This is awesome!
NOT ATTENDING, but also won't turn it down 👀.

The 1st Knife I ever bought was a tojiro dp 240mm gyuto for $65 during my 1st semester of culinary school. I used to rock(literally) the family cutco before that. Back then I lusted after miyabi damascus and the cool kids swung shuns. I remember my culinary chef picked up my knife more than once to chop something, commented how it wasn't sharp and picked up a different students knife, and how embarrassed I felt. After that, I started practicing on stones. Didn't know what I was doing then, just rubbing on them stones until I made a half pipe on both sides of the king stones. Sliced my fingertips off more than once. I read online, watched videos and slowly it started making sense and people started commenting on the sharpness of my edges. I know there's still room for improvement but now my knives are commonly know as the chive knives in the kitchen.

My journey began at my first sushi gig where I was recommended by the headchef to purchase a japanese knife because they "cut" better as I recall were his words. And at the time spending $100 for a knife sounded absurd but went and bought a blue2 gyuto anyway. Months later of recklessly sharpening I noticed how thicc the edge got to the point it would crack any food I throw at it. Eventually started learning sharpening from YouTube. Hate to admit it was from mostly Ryky videos. It wasn't until I joined this forum that I learned proper sharpening technique/knowledge etc. Now with some synthetics and 1 jnat kindly gifted by ethompson, I sharpen friends and family knives for fun. Sometimes I charge them.😉

Since originally posting in August I have acquired a bunch of synths and sandpaper. I can't edit my post now but I no longer need the starter pack. Someone else is more deserving. Still no jnats but those will come with time. 👍

This is a super cool idea. I’ve been looking at finding my way into natural stones for a long time, but have no idea where to start.
I have a couple of clad knives that will need thinning soon, but I don’t wanna thin them without being able to make them as pretty as they were when they arrived (with beautiful kasumi shinogi).

I first got into knives through cooking. I have loved cooking since I was a kid but I had no idea how much of a game changer a good knife could be until I used a nicely sharp Shun at a friends house. From there, I have been down & continue to go down the rabbit hole of both knives and stones.

I started learning to sharpen because I knew I’d need to maintain the nice knives I spent good money on, and found I enjoy it so much that I take whatever opportunity I can to sharpen for whoever needs it. I’m now thinking about embarking on polishing and incorporating jnats into the process.

I have always enjoyed sharpening knives but have always done it the lazy way... electric sharpeners for crap knives and pay someone to sharpen my good knives, or i would do my best with a guided system.. In may, i had recon constructive knee surgery and had nothing but time on my hands, so i decided to work on improving my sobriety...i decided to reduce my beer consumption to a 6 pack a week, and needed to fill my idle time, so i started learning whetstone sharpening. Im not good by any means , but i can make a kitchen knife scary sharp and have found that i really enjoy working with whetstones, so much so, it also got me into Japanese kitchen knives.... i started with a $15 dollar amazon cheap gyuto, now i have 33 Japanese / Japanese style knives , in carbon and stainless, wa and yo handled, clad and unclad, single bevel and dual bevel, Asymmetrical and symetrical, 70/30 and 50/50, 9 whetstones in 4 different brands,....... its been one hell of a rabbit hole to say the least. Not bad for 6 months lol.

Is this still going? He hasn’t comment or react to anything after people pointed out he used Xinguo’s pic as his own
I was wondering that…

Screenshot_20240317-121850.png

So what was the deal with that then, was he a scammer or just being dishonest for clout?

Back