Show your work! Uchigumori and co...

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
600, 1200, 2000, 3000, 5000, wool steel with car polish.
And a lot of time ;-)
Even looking in the direction of the light it's difficult to se scratches. But there are still some! ;-)

its weird.. this blade was particularely scratchfree. Not totally mirror but there are no "deep" acratches anymore, what makes the surface looking uncomplicated now
heberger image

but even if it stays glossy and not scratchy (marks on the pictures are camelia oil) it is a bit dull.
The classical lively Shigefusa pattern seems to be very slow to activate with jizuya this time :-(
téléchargement de photos
Maybe I should go back to a Hazuya or soft Jizuya 🤔

210 kato, it's not Uchihamono but it is a natural stone finish
image.jpg

My autocorrect turned uchigumori into Uchihamono. I guess it's slowly learning

That's an awesome finish on your Kato, glad to see the project turned out well.

Not sure if you've used it yet since refinishing, but if so, do you find that it has had any effect on the reactivity or other factors?

Reactivity is definitely down, cutting is the same as all mirror polished knives, things can sometimes stick if you force it.

I do not have the photos to prove the point at the moment, but I have used several different stones for a kasumi, but Uchigumori (which I got from Shinichi) is the easiest to get a smooth finish with. The contrast I got with Shiro-Suita from Ohira looked about the same to me, but that stone is harder and thus requires more skill (which I do not posses yet) to get the same result.

My last Cut is just healed some days ago! ;) you all should completely destroy and round the sharp edge at the end of the blade.. useless and 90% the cause of my scariest cut!

Ugh.. Damn man. That cut does not look fun

Uchigumori polish made without sandpaper!
Only on benchstones this time!
Ikarashi-do, Maruo-Yama Shiro Suita, Ohira Hazuya and Ohira Ao Renge. Just a little bit on Narutaki Jizuya fingerstone at the end.
Smooth, metallic and perfectly uniform.
I really like polishing on benchstone now. It has limits and is not that easy but I find it gives a good feeling and interresting results.

Nutmeg, that looks perfect. I am wondering whether the fine stone (Ao Renge) was necessary since you then 'went back' to softer & coarser (relatively speaking) fingerstones.

Nutmeg, that looks perfect. I am wondering whether the fine stone (Ao Renge) was necessary since you then 'went back' to softer & coarser (relatively speaking) fingerstones.

you fox! :p
Actually I polished the surface and the micro-bevel with the same stones but the fine and very hard Ao Renge was used only for the micro bevel as it scratches the hagane very fast. It doesn't ruin totally the job as the scratches are not deep but it is not very effective too.
Same for Shiro suita. Those from Maruo-yama work perfect as pre-Hazuya but those from Ohira do a scratchy job on the hagane.

still on benchstones.
foto hochladen
I am slowly finding the technique..the hand on the handle pushes and pulls, back and forth, without any control or pressure. This hand should be cool, just back and forth.The other hand is leading.
The fingers on the blade are guiding for the exact moves and the place where the blade has tro be polished. Absolute control but all without pressure. Just the right amount of water to float on the slurry.
Just my impressions..

Ahh interesting Nutmeg!
I actually did the same yesterday ;) ..just pulling the Knife back and forth full on the Uchigumori.. just 2cm no more small moves and no wild movements.. I gotta build myself a kork/leather on a Stick tool to polish the sides with slurry and pressure. I am happy that my Uchigumori has no scratching lines. pure 250x85mm of fun that way and i use a mikagawa koma pure white nagura that works awesome.

I have a red narutaki thats also a mudcanon like a uchigumori and seems to be a nice polisher..

Refinished the bevel on this faithful old workhorse. The patina was starting to get really ugly due the uneven finish getting worse over time. It's definitely not a nutmeg job but I'm pretty satisfied with it overall.

http://imgur.com/a/Yyzrs

Some inconsistencies at the tip.. finished on a relatively cheap Ohira renge suita I bought from Aframes. It's really more of a koppa than a bench stone

Looks better than I've ever finished anything mate, good job

Back