Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Jon. That was really starting to p*** me off. Imgur and photobucket would'nt work at all from my phone.:viking:
So yeah. Single bevel 155mm Shig petty. Which I've taken to calling a yanagibetty(I'm an ex rockabilly/greaser). It's like a taller/stubby Yani, with a slightly less flat profile. I'm gonna use it to dissect pork butts prior to grinding tomorrow. I was using an older Konosuke petty that was about 90/10, but my hand always started to cramp up around an hour in. Hoping that the thick emoto on this(and the added weight) will help when choking forward on the blade for seaming. The f/f on this is pretty damn sweet. There's a slight rough spot near the tip where the shinogi and kurouchi meet, but that's a minor gripe as this gonna be a working knife not a display piece.
Again- thanks Jon. After two Stone IPA's and a Glenlevit Nadurra, I was ready to break my phone in half or the internet...

null_zps5f4c4a7d.jpg
[/IMG]

3 180mm chef knives & a 240 suji from Karlo Ban

I might do a pass around with one of the chefs knives if there is interest.

Been looking for a small parer that won't cramp my hand. I felt like a larger handle and a short blade might help, but had a hard time finding one that wasn't an 1" tall. This little 90mm Itinomonn looks perfect though, only 3/4" tall. Craftsmanship looks good, but I haven't used it yet.

And a couple from the other end of the spectrum
Watanabe blue #2 honyaki
Sakai ichimonji kichukini white #2 honyaki

Very different knives, both excellent cutters

nice! what's different about these two, and what do you like most about each?

nice! what's different about these two, and what do you like most about each?

The Watanabe is much more "workhorse" like, around 25g heavier (with a lighter handle) I custom ordered it with a pointier profile, which feels really nice ( although a bit taller than i usually prefer) I paid extra for mirror polish, which was probably unnecessary as there is plenty of grind/ hammer marks still visible) also the Hamon is not visible.

The Sakai is ground alot thinner, and more assymetric, ( its a bit like a thinner mizuno) the hamon is nicely polished. This particular knife has a slight bend. It cuts a bit better but the watanabe is more robust.

If I had to buy one over the other I would choose the ichimonji.

Recently traded with another forum member and i thought i would post the before and after shots, i am liking the new profile....

Recently traded with another forum member and i thought i would post the before and after shots, i am liking the new profile....

I like the second one better. Before it looks like the tip was quite high , now it looks just right . Time to put a beautiful patina on it!!

New arrival from David Roeder. This was a special order by a customer of his. The customer welched on the deal and he put it up for sale and I snatched it up. It's 5160 with a snakewood handle. I just got got it and it feels ok. Not super but just ok. The handle was built for a catchers mitt so I will be modifying it so it fits my hand. Sorry for the pics quality. Can't seem to find our good camera.

Profile looks kind of like a shun. When I first saw the picture I thought I was a shun. Looks nice anyway

He said the customer wanted the Shun handle profile but it was 10-20% larger overall. I have a few Shun's and the handles are quite a bit smaller.

It is definitely different with the ricasso done like a standard type hunting knife. How does that affect the balance and use.

The balance is not too bad. I just received it so usage characteristics are unknown. David Roeder doesn't typically make kitchen knives but does make a lot of hunters and edc knives. Here are some pics next to my Shun Nakiri 5" to show you the differences in the handle size.

I'm not so sure I like that knife to be honest..that profile just doesn't fly with me at all. Hope you make it to your tastes though

I'm not so sure I like that knife to be honest..that profile just doesn't fly with me at all. Hope you make it to your tastes though
I will say that it was a whim purchase. I may reshape the handle to fit my hands or wave it under a nose or two at the OKCA show.

How you liking the Zakuri? I've got a 165mm Tosagata and 135mm funayuki on the way.

It's great. Very sharp OOTB. The handle though large and robust still feels appropriate for the blade. Fit and finish isn't great but I think that's part of the reason I love these rustic knives from Tosa.

Back