Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Def make maker aware so can be prevented in future. Local repair is cheaper and usually easier for all involved. I sent a knife that got tipped and covered costs to ship back to me due to buyer not feeling comfortable with local sharpeners. Very expensive mistake with 200$ in shipping for a 2 min repair

Def make maker aware so can be prevented in future. Local repair is cheaper and usually easier for all involved. I sent a knife that got tipped and covered costs to ship back to me due to buyer not feeling comfortable with local sharpeners. Very expensive mistake with 200$ in shipping for a 2 min repair
The bag you use is great. I imagine no more tip issue with the bag you use?

Hitohira FJ 270 Wa Gyuto. Monosteel VG10.

1000000518.jpg

1000000519.jpg

Spare honyaki in 26c3

Perfect weight based on what I was looking for - a couple of small nits on the fit and finish but overall I’m excited!

Knife came tipped during shipping - what’s the general etiquette on this? Not something I want to fix myself or ship back to him for repair. Do makers usually cover the cost of a local repair?
No excuse for tipped knives. It's so easy to avoid that problem. Was it shipped in the saya?

Hatsukokoro Shirasagi 270 mm yanagiba (White #2 core) plus some other goodies like those Sakai Takayuki wide nosed fish bone pliers (from The Sharp Cook).

The blade was made by Tamura Tooru at Myojin Hamono. Really nice work for the money (269€). Can’t wait to try it out, will get some Spanish Mackerel and other whole fish tomorrow for sashimi and sushi. 😊

FullSizeRender.jpeg

No excuse for tipped knives. It's so easy to avoid that problem. Was it shipped in the saya?
No excuse?
It was shipped international. What if customs opens the box and tips the knife?
I’m amazed how quick people are to demand the maker compensate the buyer for something that might be outside their control.
Note buyer said the knife was well packed…

Agree with you both, but at the same time, if this is a particularly important or special knife (and bnib to boot), I completely understand wanting the job done professionally first time. If the dude tips it himself three months from now, yeah, grab a stone and knock it out sure. But this knife still has that new car smell, I get wanting to make sure the work is done right.
Yeah I agree. For me if I buy from a vendor brand new it is their responsibility to have it arrive in perfect condition. If it arrives damaged, that is between the seller and the shipping company. Unfortunate but things happen. It’s the sellers responsibility to make it right, regardless of cost. This happens to me in my line of work all the time. I always try and work with the seller but sometimes it’s just not worth my time and effort and money to fix a problem that’s not my fault

No excuse?
It was shipped international. What if customs opens the box and tips the knife?
I’m amazed how quick people are to demand the maker compensate the buyer for something that might be outside their control.
Not to intentionally be an ass, but two words …

tip protector

Hatsukokoro Shirasagi 270 mm yanagiba (White #2 core) plus some other goodies like those Sakai Takayuki wide nosed fish bone pliers (from The Sharp Cook).

The blade was made by Tamura Tooru at Myojin Hamono. Really nice work for the money (269€). Can’t wait to try it out, will get some Spanish Mackerel and other whole fish tomorrow for sashimi and sushi. 😊

View attachment 318998
I recently bought a Shirasagi sakimaru 300.

The blade road was best traveled with an offroad suspension. Otherwise nice knife.

Yeah I agree. For me if I buy from a vendor brand new it is their responsibility to have it arrive in perfect condition. If it arrives damaged, that is between the seller and the shipping company. Unfortunate but things happen. It’s the sellers responsibility to make it right, regardless of cost. This happens to me in my line of work all the time. I always try and work with the seller but sometimes it’s just not worth my time and effort and money to fix a problem that’s not my fault
Yes, but assuming the knife was packaged properly, it's not the seller's fault either. In that case, I think a fair compromise is the seller fix the damage, and buyer pays for shipping. But for something small like a chipped tip, I'd just bring it to a local sharpener and pay out of pocket.

tip protector
Exactly. Most of the goods I receive that are damaged are because the seller/shipper has not properly packaged the item. Sometimes they do and it’s damaged in transit. Also not my problem. It’s unfortunate but the seller must reconcile their claim with the shipping company,

Obviously not well enough.... or the knife was tipped before it was packed. It's the responsibility for the seller ensure the knife arrives in pristine, undamaged condition. If you see how the likes of Catcheside and Shihan package there is virtually no chance something like this could happen. If the buyer was happy with the way it arrived ie no exterior damage to the box and there is no obvious indication that the tip had impacted the harder packing materials through rough handling, best bet is the knife was damaged before it was packed.

I recently bought a Shirasagi sakimaru 300.

The blade road was best traveled with an offroad suspension. Otherwise nice knife.
Ah, sorry to hear that. Haven’t hit the stones yet with this one but so far the kireha seems fine. That said, the reality will be revealed with the first sharpening (I’ve encountered a few of those…). 😅

Recently added a Hado Junpaku 240mm gyuto to my small kit. Such a thing of beauty...
Wustof is officially retiring to become the I dont care knife.
Kit helmed by a 300mm Blue 2 yanagi only to remind me of the good times during my sushi chef days.

Attachments

• APC_0047.JPEG
    APC_0047.JPEG
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
  • APC_0057.JPEG
    APC_0057.JPEG
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • APC_0071.JPEG
    APC_0071.JPEG
    255 KB · Views: 0
  • APC_0065.JPEG
    APC_0065.JPEG
    4 MB · Views: 0
  • APC_0063.JPEG
    APC_0063.JPEG
    3.4 MB · Views: 0

tip protector
If you mean these plastic things, completely useless. Tips will often poke through or they might help damage the tip. Cork isn't much better, Best bet is the knife can't move and a cardboard saya imo.

Also sometimes you just have bad luck with the parcel service. Once got a package which was only half the size arriving me. Also remember a Kamon Gyuto which became a Suji after shipping. Never seen such a heavy damage on a knife before

I used to work in warehousing, so I got to see first hand the kind of damage carriers can do to stuff. We've had stuff the carrier tried to deliver after they drove over the box.

Before you tape up the box, hold it shut and shake it is as hard as you can. If you hear/feel the knife move, you didn't pack it properly, cause guaranteed the box will the thrown and tossed about hard.

Long time coming on this one! Been a fan of Timo's (@Hardentknives ) since he posted his first few knives on reddit, so when he opened up his books, I had to get in there and request a honyaki (shocker, I know). This thing is incredible. Great polish, agressive distal taper, pre-broken safety heel, faceted spine for grip comfort.

Just chopped a big bowl of carrots, parsnip, onion and celery for some chicken & dumplings I'm making and it was a breeze. The tip cut through thick parsnips with little to no effort and all the chopping was smooth and easy. Thanks, Timo, your first knives were great, but this thing is on a whole other level!

PXL_20240503_110902998.MP.jpg

PXL_20240503_110920979.jpg

PXL_20240503_110930530.jpg

PXL_20240503_195237245.jpg

Long time coming on this one! Been a fan of Timo's (@Hardentknives ) since he posted his first few knives on reddit, so when he opened up his books, I had to get in there and request a honyaki (shocker, I know). This thing is incredible. Great polish, agressive distal taper, pre-broken safety heel, faceted spine for grip comfort.

Just chopped a big bowl of carrots, parsnip, onion and celery for some chicken & dumplings I'm making and it was a breeze. The tip cut through thick parsnips with little to no effort and all the chopping was smooth and easy. Thanks, Timo, your first knives were great, but this thing is on a whole other level!

View attachment 319181
View attachment 319182
View attachment 319183
View attachment 319184
What a beaut!

Back