Repairing a TF Marboroshi

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From the pics you've shown, honestly, I'd keep the 500 and just use sandpaper. Working out all those low spots is a big job, and I don't think it will improve performance. I think the 180 is going to get you there faster and useful for heavy lifting. Getting those scratches out with a 500 is possible, but it will take some time. A 320 would speed up the process.

I’m finding myself enjoying the stone work as much as the knives. That said I really enjoy this blade and would like to try do it right. If I just go sandpaper I won’t get that nice lamination line and contrast.

I need more stones for a ton of other projects anyway. What stones do you guys suggest to bridge between the Debado 180 and SG500?

I like JNS 320. I would like to try a Shapton Rockstar 320. The SG320 is great, but I worry about wearing it down polishing. The SG500 is a wonderful stone. While you don't need it here, it would keep a nice, tight progression to your 1K.

If you really want a nice lamination line, get the JNS 800 or King 800, which is available and quite inexpensive. I'd still use sandpaper to even things out first. Then use the mud from the King on sanding pad.

LFG my guy!!

SG220 seems to bite the cladding pretty good and not too deep for the step after coarse. Cerax 320 hiding back there for blending.
4C7A547E-5863-49E4-B582-12DF02AA226D.jpeg

F9321C0D-4D8C-4CF9-A5C2-AC9A0614006C.jpeg

Agreed, Cerax is another good, fast option, and affordable. They are soft and good for hiding imperfections but less good for getting the geometry just right. You need to get the geometry right with hard stones first.

Latest posts

Back