Polishing sand-blasted damascus...?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello.

I recently picked up an usuba:

IMG_0014.jpeg

Damascus is not really my thing, but I wanted a knife by this smith, and this type of knife to try.
Presto.
My guess is that the damascus is sand-blasted...? Or am I in the woods looking for a beach?
It's ok, but I would like to know how to polish it so that the very textured finish is not so apparent to the touch.
I would like to preserve the kanji as much as possible.
Any tips and advice, much appreciated. Have a fine weekend.
Cheers.

Last edited:
Hello.

I recently picked up an usuba:

View attachment 319145
Damascus is not really my thing, but I wanted a knife by this smith, and this type of knife to try.
Presto.
My guess is that the damascus is sand-blasted...? Or am I in the woods looking for a beach?
It's ok, but I would like to know how to polish it so that the very textured finish is not so apparent to the touch.
I would like to preserve the kanji as much as possible.
Any tips and advice, much appreciated. Have a fine weekend.
Cheers.
It's probably etched.

Some 0000 steel wool will smooth it out, while keeping pretty much all of the contrast.

It's definitely been etched for sure, but Simon is right - it's also been sand/bead blasted.

The reason for that is that it's a very quick and easy way of concealing deeper grind marks, without having to grind or polish them out. Though you can still see some fairly clearly here:

Screenshot 2024-05-04 152305.jpg

Unfortunately @simona if you remove the sandblasting on stones, it will reveal all of the grind marks again. And by the look of it - it'd take a decent amount of time and material removal to get rid of them for a perfect polish, if that's what you want to do. And you'll need to start on a pretty coarse stone.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. But if you want it completely perfect - I can't see any easy way round what I’ve said above.

Personally I'd just get rid of the sand-blasting on a mid-grit stone, and learn to live with the grind marks. That kind of thing doesn't bother me so much, but it'd be nice to see it with a nice polish. And you can still happily do that even if it has some deeper grind marks!

Last edited:
It's definitely been etched for sure, but Simon is right - it's also been sand/bead blasted.

The reason for that is that it's a very quick and easy way of concealing deeper grind marks, without having to grind or polish them out. Though you can still see some fairly clearly here:

View attachment 319310

Unfortunately @simona if you remove the sandblasting on stones, it will reveal all of the grind marks again. And by the look of it - it'd take a decent amount of time and material removal to get rid of them for a perfect polish, if that's what you want to do. And you'll need to start on a pretty coarse stone.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. But if you want it completely perfect - I can't see any easy way round what I’ve said above.

Personally I'd just get rid of the sand-blasting on a mid-grit stone, and learn to live with the grind marks. That kind of thing doesn't bother me so much, but it'd be nice to see it with a nice polish. And you can still happily do that even if it has some deeper grind marks!
Thanks for that! I did actually notice them today in passing, and looking with a loupe now, I can see more grind marks, primarily on the quirky end-bevel (sure it has a name which I do not know)
No apologies necessary! Sometimes the eye does not see the obvious. I am no polishing fanatic, and am loathe to remove metal for cosmetic appearance; more interested in the knife and how the cutting experience is.
Cheers.

Back