My first quality knives. What next?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alford78

Reaction score
Wife and I are putting a set together and just purchased our first two (Konosuke HD2 270mm Gyuto and Miyabi 5000mcd Santoku). Nice knives for our first and we wanted to stay away from carbon until we get used to caring for a knife like would be needed with other higher end models.

My question for you all is what slicer should we get? I'm thinking a Suisin but haven't looked too much farther since literally just finished deciding on the first two today.

Thanks for the wealth of knowledge here!

Welcome.

There is a questionnaire at the top of this forum that will get you advice that's tailored to your requirements. (Most of the time.) For a sujihiki (slicer) you prob want to consider your intended application - raw meat, cooked meat, bbq, fish, etc - as well as how stiff you want the knife to be. There are a couple threads that are active right now that are seeking recommendations for suji.

And a Suisin is almost never a bad idea.

How much slicing do you guys do ? im sure that kono hd is great for most tasks at home

We cook 5 out of 7 days of the week at a minimum of one full course meal each of those days from fresh field graised meat and home grown produce all hormone free.

During the holidays and random birthdays we'll cook for 30+ people. Smoking meats to frying 3-5 turkeys, to bbq whole chickens, to cleaning messes of fish are all regular cooking tasks for us.

We currently have a couple carving knives but figured a slicer would do many of the protein jobs better by a long shot. If this is the wrong knife then please point me to the correct one. I've been looking at petty knives but never knew what they were and had never heard the term until started searching for our set.

I'd like a knife for fowl bones and preparing if could point me towards the correct style. I've always used a chefs knife but would rather not risk chipping when cutting/chopping between bones at joints.

a honesuki or hankotsu possibly?

Those would be for poultry correct?

What about carving a turkey. I carve the way I would call proffesional which allows for a very nice platter/visually appealing. Would I use my slicer after using the boning knife to remove the meat from the carcass. I'll try to attach a pic from the last bird I cut.

Not bad for my first attempt at creating a visual meat platter and left the thighs and legs whole for myself to reheat since we have a strictly white meat family other than few children's legs.

http://[URL=http://s855.photobucket.com/user/alford78/media/image_1.jpg.html] [/URL]

This was just a random Friday night dinner at home for wife and kids. Had gotten some new indoor fryers and wanted to test a bird before Christmas. We used to use 4-5 outdoor propane tanks and pots but not after getting these indoor units. They don't get quite as hot which is a downer but when cooking for so many they are much easier.

If you looking for a slicer, a safe bet is the Fujiwara FKM series sujihiki -- I have a 270 and 240 (w/ red wine handle), and don't think I'll ever let them go.

I also have 2 Konosuke sujis: 270 HD w/ ebony handle, and a 300 white #2

They are both different beasts, but I love them all. You can get a little more down and dirty with the Fujis though. Depends on what you want. Good luck.

There is a 300mm Sakai Yusuke sujihiki on EBay right now. Same class as Suisin IH/Konosuke/Ginga! Make sure that you buy the expedited EMS shipping :) I'm buying it next week if you don't snatch it first.

Back