Martin Huber Gyuto Passaround

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2 knives passed around and 2 knives damaged.

It happens, if anyone feels confident straightening feel free.
I'll give it a wiggle on my bendy stick. It's a gradual consistent curve so should be fixable.

Current condition. Lovely patina. Haven't tested the edge yet.

20240328_174624.jpg

Gonna be some rambling here. This is a fun knife. I love the look with the grind marks. I don't think the bend affects the performance at all. Develops a lovely blue and purple patina. A bit too heavy and blade forward for my liking, but I suspected that going in. I tend to prefer lasers. Handle was comfortable and easy to grip.

Edge needs sharpening but I mostly wanted to test geometry. It performed OK on carrots, with some wedging in the bigger pieces. When just using the tip it worked much better. Nice distal taper on it. I'd buy a lighter, thinner version of it for sure.

20240402_183422.jpg

Shipping to Heckel on Friday.

Knife is on its way to @Stevem627

Thanks again to @Gshep91 for casting this lovely gyuto out for us knife freaks to lay our grubby mitts on. It’s a lovely knife. Quite forward balanced, which I like. Feels very nimble for a 240. I actually thought it was a 210 before I looked it up again. I prepped a few meals with it and it handled everything great. Maybe a little wedgy on dense product, but nothing extreme. All in all a super solid blade. It convinced me to send a message to Messerschmied Huber to see if he could make something special just for me.

I want to thank Gshep91 for the opportunity to use the knife from Martin Huber. We are fortunate to have a chance to try something that we might otherwise just guess how it fits our use and expectations.

I decided to spend a little more time with this than I originally thought I would so I could compare it against several knives. There are only two of us now to cook for so I also wanted to get in some additional time to try several products cutting. My main goal was to use it against my Birch and Bevel Masur 230 carbon and my Eddworks 8 inch. I also added some use with my Myojin Seikasusho 240 SG2, my Wakui 240, and my Hatsukokoro Kurokaze 210 so I could get my head around the knife differences in profiles and weight.

Martin Huber has a knife here that is a great all-around knife, and I took a serious look at it since I am most likely going to purchase one soon. I am coming up on the wait list for a new Eddworks custom soon so I will most likely wait until I find a perfect Huber that fits into my needs.

The Huber knife was sharp when I received it and I only stropped it once to touch it up a bit. Since it is a carbon knife, large batches of acidic product dulls the cutting, but not as fast a White 2. I like the weight of the knife which was 224 grams (if I remember correctly) versus the 194 of my Birch and bevel 230. In hand, the knives feel quite similar (due to Huber making the B&B handle the exact same way) other than the difference weight which makes the Huber more balanced towards the blade. The Huber is a nice convex with no shoulder unlike the pronounced shoulder of the B&B. The Huber cut through heavier product like carrots and sweet potato smoothly and the food separation was very good. Cutting meat was excellent due to the weight of the blade and forward balance. The tip was nice for things like onions and celery, but I wouldn’t grab it for fine work like shallots. I did a batch of my dog food and used the knife on sweet potatoes, carrots, green beans, and cooked chicken breast, and it was a great selection for the task at hand. I made some Cowboy caviar and the knife was up to cutting cucumbers with good separation and decent food release. Tomatoes did well, but this is no laser so I have better choices for doing tomatoes. The overall profile of the knife has a smaller flat spot than the B&B so I needed to modify my push cut a little to accommodate. I think this knife would be good for rock chopping, but it’s thin behind the edge, so you would need to be a proficient rock chopper to safely go fast. The substantial overall weight and feel of the knife could easily induce a false sense of comfort, and I could see myself getting careless with it. Wedging was not bad, and this didn’t give glass like cuts in carrots. This is a great choice for a small stable of knives.

The reason I compare it so much with my B&B is they are quite a bit similar while also quite different. The length was almost the exact same on the cutting edge and both have a finger notch, and an almost identical handle. There is a considerable difference in price which is I think the target concept of the B&B carbon knife offerings. B&B isn’t quite as nice a knife overall to me, but the differences are minor while the price is not. My Eddworks 52100 8 inch knife is still the King of my overall knife choices, but suffers when the need for a longer knife is called for. The other knives I mentioned fill different needs for me and I realize I like different knives for different tasks.

All in all, this is a knife I will most likely get in a longer length and perhaps Apex ultra since I have a B&B that is close enough to make this a bit redundant. Martin Huber is a joy for me on YouTube and, for now, I will take solace in at least having a great handle he made on a knife I own.

Back