Recipe Requested Linguica or Chourico

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm craving caldo verde and my options are either paying high shipping costs to get linguica or chourico from out east, or getting it made locally. The local house of sausage said they'll custom make some if I have a recipe and order enough.

Does anyone have a good recipe that they would be willing to share?

Good stuff!

Southern New England style or actual Portugese style?
S. NE chourico/linguica is wonderful, but nothing like the stuff in Portugal (which is a much harder sausage).
For the S. NE style:
Fine grind meat+fat, plus chunks of lean meat
Garlic, White wine or Vinegar, and Portugese all spice mix and ground pepper paste. Always has nitrites and most (except Michael's) also has nonfat dry milk.

https://www.chavesmarket.com/spices-seasonings/gonsalves-hot-chopped-peppers-with-onions-and-garlichttps://www.chavesmarket.com/spices-seasonings/portuguese-all-spiceOr
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Antonio-...VnGxvBB3hHww_EAQYASABEgKAb_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
Or
You could probably even get a pretty close approximation with sanbal and cayenne. The pepper paste should be a little funky, which sanbal is.

Here's my suggestion... I think you could get a really nice caldo verde subbing blade meat for chourico, and blade meat is super easy to make. Just marinate pork shoulder steaks in the spices above, then grill or bake low.

Last edited:
When I was in Macao, I mostly did my usual thing, looking for great Chinese food, which is there in abundance. There was a pigeon dish at a now-defunct restaurant that I still flash back to, from time to time.

But at some point I made contact with the Portuguese community, and, at an informal dinner, had what may be the best sausage of my life. They took it for granted. I did not. I want that sausage. All three kinds. Especially the brown one.

@McMan - thanks! Southern NE style is what I know. Michael’s preferably, but Gaspar’s works too :)
Gaspars!!!!!!! 😍
This won't help--since you asked about a chourico/linguica recipe--but here's how I make caldo verde. I like it with a snowy-white broth.

Remove central stem from collards of kale, save stems. (Collards--"couve"--is common in Portugal, Kale in S. NE).
Cook julienned kale in a little water. Remove, save water. (Some people prefer to saute in olive oil instead of boiling.)
Sweat one onion (don't brown).
Add to the onion the kale water and chicken stock, add 2-3 allspice berries, few peppercorns, 2-3 bay leaves, 1-2 cloves, one garlic clove, and simmer kale stems in this. (I tie all the stems together with butcher twine so you can just pull that bundle out of the stock later when done.)
Remove the stems/spices and add sliced yukon golds, simmer. Then puree.
Roast whole chouricos/linguicas in the oven. Slice thin.
Bunch of kale in the bottom of the bowl, few slices of chourico/linguica on top, potato broth poured over top.
I like to bring the broth to the table and ladle it over the chourico/linguica + kale at the table.

Some people like to pan fry the chourico/linguica and then make the stock from there. (I don't like to do this since it darkens the color of the potato broth.) Some people roast the chourico/linguica with a little brandy or sherry.

Such a nice comfort food

With all the respect - This is not chouriço or linguiça. The cheese is hard to understand.

There are several ways and recipes with or without blood.

Knowing how to do it: For the chorizo, meat with some nerves, bloody streaked meat and belly meat are used. These meats are cut into small pieces and seasoned with a garlic mash, paprika paste and salt (does not take water) for 1 to 2 days. After this period, add a little white wine and the liquid blood of the pig (collected at the time of slaughter in a container with vinegar). Fills with thick pork casing. Squeeze the meat well, chop the tripe to get rid of the air, tie the ends together with a string of a few centimeters to form an arch and go to the smoker for between 8 days to 5 to 6 weeks. Then go to a cool and airy place.

Without using the blood -

Ingredients

• 1.3 kg of pork leg (tail)
  • 400g of streaky
  • 200g of bacon
  • 2 tablespoons full of garlic mash
  • 2 tablespoons full of chili dough
  • 1 tablespoon full of paprika
  • 1 tablespoon of black pepper
  • 3 tablespoons full of smoked salt*
  • 1 glass of water (or white wine in the Beira version)
  • Fresh tripe of pork
Preparation

1. Cut the meat into strips and mix well with all other ingredients except the tripe.
  2. Leave in a cool place for 36-48 hours.
  3. Roast a piece on the end of a fork to see if there is any spice to be added.
  4. The piece must have the desired flavors but attenuated, especially in terms of salt, which increases a lot during curing.
  5. Wash the tripe thoroughly with coarse salt and vinegar, rubbing on both sides and running water through the interior.
  6. Using a sausage funnel, fill the casing and bind the ends tightly.
  7. Prick the casing with a needle so that no air bubbles remain inside the sausage.
  8. Put it to dry in a ventilated oven, set at 45-50°C, for periods of 6-8 hours, for 3-4 days or until it is at the curing point you like best. If you have a tall fireplace and have a place to hang them on that would be perfect.
  9. Pass on the outside with your hands oiled in oil and store.
  10. If, instead of water, you use white wine and reduce the proportion of fatty meat, you will make chorizo like the one from Beira-Baixa.

Last edited:
With all the respect - This is not chouriço or linguiça. The cheese is hard to understand.

There are several ways and recipes with or without blood.
Interesting. I had no idea that there are versions that include blood. I might do some digging and try this. I love tripe, and I do like blood sausage, so this looks promising :)

Back