Knife findings

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kyuzo’s father Heihachi is one of the busiest sharpeners in Sakai. Heihachi’s workshop room and corridor were always filled with knives waiting to be sharpened. Although Kyuzo initially worked under his father to learn the foundation of rough sharpening, eventually he became a student of Kambei, known as one of the best sharpeners in Sakai because he knew best how to sharpen wide double bevel knives.

Has anyone tried a Heihachi (Mishima?) or Kambei?

Kambei is morihiro, lots on here have had an OG Fujiyama. I have a Kambei honyaki
Thanks - I should have known that it was Hitohira code. That blurb identifies Heihachi working in the present tense and his workshop being busy in the past tense - any intel?

And ‘Rikichi’ trained Morihiro (must be old!) -https://protooling.com.au/products/hitohira-gorobei-rikichi-210mm-gyuto-knife-kasumi?variant=43567785640189

Interesting to trace the lineage of expertise!

Thanks - I should have known that it was Hitohira code. That blurb identifies Heihachi working in the present tense and his workshop being busy in the past tense - any intel?

And ‘Rikichi’ trained Morihiro (must be old!) -https://protooling.com.au/products/hitohira-gorobei-rikichi-210mm-gyuto-knife-kasumi?variant=43567785640189

Interesting to trace the lineage of expertise!
1. No clue
2.Kawakita

If anyone wants to risk it
It seems his price have come down to merely stratospheric…but I’m a poor judge

Don’t know why he’d put #Aogami1. Katos current production consists almost entirely of Aogami 2 with the exception of some of the shirogami blades coming from Maxim.

Maybe it is aogami 1, but I personally have a low threshold for trust with resellers.

Dan Prendergast has some new knives up, including a 262mm integral, "Long Boy" which now mine. Ho ho ho
Always wanted to try one of his knives but the message about all the possible extra fees has scared me as I’ve never bought a knife from England. How much more did you end up paying for shipping and fees to US if you don’t mind?

Always wanted to try one of his knives but the message about all the possible extra fees has scared me as I’ve never bought a knife from England. How much more did you end up paying for shipping and fees to US if you don’t mind?
Im also curious to know. Literally why I’ve been avoiding uk makers too.

Im also curious to know. Literally why I’ve been avoiding uk makers too.

FWIW, I bought a knife from @Knot Handcrafted a year or so back and I just had to pay standard shipping. I believe there is an $800 threshold.

FWIW, I bought a knife from @Knot Handcrafted a year or so back and I just had to pay standard shipping. I believe there is an $800 threshold.
Same. It was only GBP40 shipping on top of the knife. No other fees. My card doesn’t charge fees for international transactions - that is another possible source of fees.

Edit: I think @HumbleHomeCook is right about the $800 threshold. Above that, you will likely have to pay customs fees, and that can be an unpredictable thing, as different carriers handle it differently.

Last edited:
Don’t know why he’d put #Aogami1. Katos current production consists almost entirely of Aogami 2 with the exception of some of the shirogami blades coming from Maxim.

Maybe it is aogami 1, but I personally have a low threshold for trust with resellers.
It's for sure not aogami1 unless he can proof it. That's just mentioned to rise the price.

Same. It was only GBP40 shipping on top of the knife. No other fees. My card doesn’t charge fees for international transactions - that is another possible source of fees.

Edit: I think @HumbleHomeCook is right about the $800 threshold. Above that, you will likely have to pay customs fees, and that can be an unpredictable thing, as different carriers handle it differently.
I can also confirm a $40 fee for shipping. I bought a sub-$800 knife from him before and was charged only the $40, and no other fees. He's just covering all his bases with that broad disclaimer.

Back