Knife confessions...

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Confession: I have no idea where to start with thinning and scared that I'm gonna mess up my knives when they will inevitably need to be thinned
I had thinned 3 knives successfully so I felt pretty confident but then I tried to just do little bit of my Okubo gyuto tip and it cut waay worse. Turns out I'm not good enough on stones to recreate super convex voodoo yet. I got scared I botched a favorite knife so I sent it to JKI

That’s why people likes TF, you can make it worse!
Knife Confession:

I've been back for like 2 months and I still have no idea what TF is.

I see it everywhere, TF TF TF.

No clue.

Go Go Go Running GIF

"I prefer famous makers to more budget friendly knives"
"I bought many expensive knives in a short period of time"
"I have too many knives from one maker"
"I don't use my +$1K knives enough"

🙄🙄🙄

Y'all are just back door bragging. I laid it all out there, and now I look like a damn fool. Who else is brave enough for a real confession?
I have not hit the 1K mark on knives. That has been my rule so far… Curious if I am gonna break this anytime soon. Lol I am trying to imagine being in your shoes of owning a few $1K plus knives and not using them (out of fear you will break them or tarnish them?).

I have not hit the 1K mark on knives. That has been my rule so far… Curious if I am gonna break this anytime soon. Lol I am trying to imagine being in your shoes of owning a few $1K plus knives and not using them (out of fear you will break them or tarnish them?).
lol that was almost 3 years ago.. and I still reach for my trusty shun more than any other knife

updated confession: I haven't sharpened my knives in over a year 😳

Last edited:
lol that was almost 3 years ago.. and I reach for my trusty shun more than any other knife

updated confession: I haven't sharpened my knives in over a year 😳
The kit in my roll that I've collected over the last two months is worth a modest $1300.

Still reach for the 240 Misono Dragon beater that I bought for 'home use' when I pretended to retire in 2020 more than anything else.

I’m a steel nerd. I started out with Misono but then I realised the Molydenum series are the cheap AF steel we know as Aus8.
I used to badly want a UX10 but I can’t spend that much on a budget 19c27 steel that they stamped.
Talk about poor value for money.

I’m a steel nerd. I started out with Misono but then I realised the Molydenum series are the cheap AF steel we know as Aus8.
I used to badly want a UX10 but I can’t spend that much on a budget 19c27 steel that they stamped.
Talk about poor value for money.
Yeah I’d love UX10 in swed carbon even pay UX10 price for that. UX10 does have sick profile unlike other Misonos.

The more I learned about knives, the less I care about steel. Would happily use a KS clone in German x50chromothervocker15 as long as it ticked all the other boxes like great taper, profile, thinness behind the edge, balance, etc.

Yeah I’d love UX10 in swed carbon even pay UX10 price for that. UX10 does have sick profile unlike other Misonos.

I just broke down because of Amazon Japan pricing, having had the Santoku for years. The 240 gyuto is an entirely different thing, very impressive. I haven't sharpened it yet, but I never found the steel too hard to deburr. It loves a hard, blue Aoto. The handle and balance on this knife are great. I see now why they're so popular. It's quite similar in use to the Kaeru 240.

ETA -- Aren't you just asking for a Dragon? The handle is a little different, but the profile looks the same.

Yeah just the other day I realized some members that have never even owned a Teruyasu Fujiwara have commented 8 pages worth of complaints about his work.

Rent free
I got a Denka no Hoto after blind testing the knives....don't tell me price, not judging on finishing and looks. I wanted to see which knife had the nice handling.

It's still an ugly knife

I had thinned 3 knives successfully so I felt pretty confident but then I tried to just do little bit of my Okubo gyuto tip and it cut waay worse. Turns out I'm not good enough on stones to recreate super convex voodoo yet. I got scared I botched a favorite knife so I sent it to JKI
The tip may have just cut worse from drag due to the new finish after thinning. Especially if your first test is cuts through a big onion. Okubo isn't too bad to thin IME, it has low spots but the bevels come with ugly deep scratches so you can't really make it look worse on the stones. Just raise the shinogi a little, hit the area behind the edge a little, then hit the middle of the bevel and follow the pre-existing grind. You're not going to mess up the pre-existing convex unless you try really hard. Here's a nakiri I thinned some before I traded it away b/c it was a lefty.

Although it appears a person who commented on the video had a similar problem to yours, lol

Back