Kemadi Bulat Thinning and Refinishing Experimentation

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrmoves92

Reaction score
Hello!

Backstory:
I recently purchased a Kemadi bulat gyuto from BST. It came a bit thicker behind the edge than I prefer (I measured 0.3mm-0.4mm at ~1mm behind the edge), so I wanted to thin the knife to make it cut better and refinish it to make it look good again after the thinning. For clarity: The seller was wonderful to deal with, and the knife came exactly as described; I just prefer knives that are very thin behind the edge.

Original pictures:
1688591315079.jpeg

1688591344247.jpeg

1688591378137.jpeg

1688591394531.jpeg

Thinning:
I did most of the thinning with a Nano Hone 70µm stone, but I also used a Suehiro Debado MD-20. These stones are pretty similar to each other. I have a love/hate relationship with them. They cut really quickly, don’t load up, don’t dish too fast for coarse stones, and don’t leave scratches that are super deep, which is nice, but they are both fairly soft (on the scale of all stones), which causes low spots to reappear on harder stones in my polishing progression and is really frustrating. To me, it seems like the NH70µm stone cuts at approximately the same speed, feel nicer, feels slightly softer, dishes slightly faster, and leaves noticeably shallower scratches compared to the MD-20. Do you have any recommendations for harder/more precise coarse stones that still cut quickly?

The thinning went well, and I got the knife to a thinness I was happy with in around 3-4 hours (~1.5 hrs per side). The stones cut well, and the work seemed to go by quickly. The stones were able to touch all parts of the bevel.

Here are some photos from thinning:
1688594158569.jpeg

1688594181471.jpeg

1688594194747.jpeg

Messaging Kemadi for advise:
After thinning, I DM’d Kemadi on Instagram for advice on etching, and he really nice and helpful. He recommended polishing the knife up to almost a mirror finish and then etching the knife with ferric chloride for repeated cycles of 10 minutes of etching, washing with water, and polishing/partially removing the etch.

Coarse scratch removal:
After thinning, it was time to start cleaning up the coarse scratches on the bevels. This was a huge contrast to my experience thinning. I tried using a Shapton Glass 500 (my go-to stone after coarse stones), Naniwa Pro 400 (a nice, slightly softer alternative), and a Shapton Glass 320 (mine feels like a POS. It seems to load up very quickly and stop cutting on every knife I try it on for polishing. Do you have that problem with the SG320?). All three of the stones felt like they would load up and cut really slowly, which was expected with my SG320, but I have never run into this issue with the SG500 before. What seemed to be most effective with the stones that I had was to refresh the stone surface and build up some slurry with my diamond plate, polish until it felt like the stone wasn’t cutting well anymore, and repeat. This process took a long time, and many coarse scratches remained. Because these stones are harder than my coarse stones, low spots reappeared on the bevels (near the shinogi in the center of the left bevel and near the shinogi at the heel on the right bevel).

The stones that I was working with weren’t doing a good job. I don’t know why, but I think that it might have been caused by the tall bevel/large surface area, mono-steel construction instead of san mai, and maybe the makeup/matchup of the steel and stones. I thought about ordering a softer stone for this step, like a Suehiro Cerax 320, but I was impatient, so I used some sandpaper to get most of the coarse scratches out and create a somewhat even finish. I know that there are coarse scratches left and the final result isn’t perfect, but I just wanted to experiment and try etching out. I can always start over and do a higher effort polish in the future.

Polishing:
I mostly used synthetic stones for my polishing progression, but I did try a natural stone or two. (Sorry, no pictures for this section)

After the stones I mentioned above, I used the following stones: Cerax 1k, JNS synth red auto, Morihei 4k, Morihei 9k (all permasoaked). Because of the remaining low spots, I gathered mud from each stone as I was using them with pieces of felt that I used to even out the polish and reach the low spots that the stones weren’t touching. The Cerax 1k brought out the wavy banding the most out of those stones. I tried a Aiiwatani kiita koppa at some point, which was able to bring out some of the banding, but I think that I just went to the Morihei 9k instead after trying it.

After the stones + mud on felt. I rubbed the bevels on some balsa with diamond spray on it to give it a bit more shine and evenness.

At this point, I had arrived at an okay base for etching.

Etching:
I looked into ferric chloride, but I didn’t really want to use it. Because I was just experimenting with techniques, I wanted to try etching with vinegar first because it is safer and cheaper, and I think that the results ended up being pretty good. All of the tips/techniques in the Etching Q.s thread were interesting and helpful to read.

I put 5% acidity white vinegar into a tall plastic vase, and left the knife in there for a while. I did a few “cycles,” but I didn’t really follow much of a systematic plan/technique. I left the knife in there for ~2 hours, polished the knife with natural stone mud on a felt pad, put it back in the vinegar for ~1 hour, tried polishing with 2k sandpaper, put it back in the vinegar for another hour or so, and tried polishing it with natural stone mud and 5000 grit sandpaper.

The following post will include pictures of the results with my technique, if you could call what I did a technique, and a little written conclusion.

Last edited:
Here is how the knife looks after the steps above:

1688602285827.jpeg

1688602301455.jpeg

1688602314452.jpeg

1688602332076.jpeg

Conclusion:
Visually, I am happy with how it turned out. It isn’t perfect (some coarse scratches left and uneven etch near the shinogi and heel on both sides), but I think that this was a good/successful introduction to etching for me.

Cutting performance wise, this knife is now really nice. The edge flexes under a nail along the whole edge, and I measured from 0.12mm-0.16mm at various points on the knife ~1mm behind the edge. The food release isn’t great, but it isn’t horrible and doesn’t allow food to really get stuck to the knife. The blade finish has a nice balance without too much drag or stiction, but I am sure that this could be improved for ease of cutting/cutting feel. I don’t really understand what makes certain finishes/techniques better for reducing drag and stiction, so let me know if you have any knowledge or good techniques.

Here is a video of me dicing an onion (I am just a home cook, so please ignore my subpar knife skills, unless you have some helpful advise on ways to improve):

Edit: I forgot that I also had a video of me cutting up a Yukon gold potato to show the current food release. Here is that video:

Thank you for reading this! I hope that it was interesting or helpful. Let me know if you have any suggestions for ways to improve and techniques that you think I should try.

Last edited:
Nice sounding cuts! I also have the Nanohone 70 micron/200 grit and the Suehiro MD-20. The Suehiros have a lot of variation so mine is really hard, doesn’t produce enough mud for my taste but also dishes super slow. Nanohone dishes fast but cuts fast. I already went through 3/4s of my 4 stone Nanohone brick on thinning projects and switched to a different coarse stone to save the last Nanohone for later. There’s no perfect coarse stone, but you can try the Shapton Pro 220, it’s pretty cheap compared to the other two and works well for me.

Very cool. Nicely done!
Thank you!

Nice sounding cuts! I also have the Nanohone 70 micron/200 grit and the Suehiro MD-20. The Suehiros have a lot of variation so mine is really hard, doesn’t produce enough mud for my taste but also dishes super slow. Nanohone dishes fast but cuts fast. I already went through 3/4s of my 4 stone Nanohone brick on thinning projects and switched to a different coarse stone to save the last Nanohone for later. There’s no perfect coarse stone, but you can try the Shapton Pro 220, it’s pretty cheap compared to the other two and works well for me.
Thank you! Thanks for the Shapton Pro 220 recommendation! I’ll have to try one out.

I forgot that I also had a potato cutting video, so I added it below the other video above.

Nice work and good results for a pretty ambitious project. That blade just ghosted through the onion during the horizontal cuts, damn!

"Do you have any recommendations for harder/more precise coarse stones that still cut quickly?"

My coarsest stone is a JNS 300 I would describe it as a hard and relatively fast cutting stone that isn't prone to loading up or glazing over. The scratch depth is also very manageable, namely the scratches can be removed pretty easily via either a stone or sandpaper progression. Here are some of my thinning projects using the JNS 300 and the thinning component of these projects usually takes around 2 hours total to give you an idea of cutting speed:

Shibazi 208-2 (jump to the end for the before / after thinning photos):

Toyama gyuto:

Victorinox chef's knife:

That said, I don't own any other coarse stones, so I unfortunately can't provide any meaningful comparisons to other products. Maybe some other more experienced and better equipped members can chime in with their observations and comparisons.

"I don’t really understand what makes certain finishes/techniques better for reducing drag and stiction, so let me know if you have any knowledge or good techniques."

Theory time: I have experienced 'stiction' when refinishing with fine synthetic abrasives and I think of like this - a surface finish is basically comprised of microscopic ridges and valleys created by whatever abrasive you are using. If these ridges are too high (a coarse finish), then they will dig into whatever you are cutting and produce additional friction. If the ridges are the 'right' height, then they can reduce the contact surface area between the blade and whatever you are cutting without digging in. If the ridges are too low (a very fine fine finish) then the surface area between the blade and whatever you are cutting will be increased such that 'stiction' can occur. This effect would be aided by fluid / juice from the food that acts as lubrication. High ridges could extend past the fluid and still dig into the food, ridges with the right height could be covered by the fluid while also reducing the surface area in contact with the food and low ridges could cause the fluid to be displaced, bringing a large surface area into contact with the blade. I should add a disclaimer here, this is simply me theorising and could be complete and utter bs.

I typically refinish using sandpaper because it is more forgiving and hides low spots and I find the P400-P800 grit range to be a sweet spot.

Edit: just to make this post even longer, here is an extreme example of the difference that the surface finish can make and a description of the various finishes can be found in the captions.

Last edited:
I love seeing this kind of work documented out, great job!
Thank you!

Nice work and good results for a pretty ambitious project. That blade just ghosted through the onion during the horizontal cuts, damn!

"Do you have any recommendations for harder/more precise coarse stones that still cut quickly?"

My coarsest stone is a JNS 300 I would describe it as a hard and relatively fast cutting stone that isn't prone to loading up or glazing over. The scratch depth is also very manageable, namely the scratches can be removed pretty easily via either a stone or sandpaper progression. Here are some of my thinning projects using the JNS 300 and the thinning component of these projects usually takes around 2 hours total to give you an idea of cutting speed:

Toyama gyuto:

Victorinox chef's knife:

That said, I don't own any other coarse stones, so I unfortunately can't provide any meaningful comparisons to other products. Maybe some other more experienced and better equipped members can chime in with their observations and comparisons.

"I don’t really understand what makes certain finishes/techniques better for reducing drag and stiction, so let me know if you have any knowledge or good techniques."

Theory time: I have experienced 'stiction' when refinishing with fine synthetic abrasives and I think of like this - a surface finish is basically comprised of microscopic ridges and valleys created by whatever abrasive you are using. If these ridges are too high (a coarse finish), then they will dig into whatever you are cutting and produce additional friction. If the ridges are the 'right' height, then they can reduce the contact surface area between the blade and whatever you are cutting without digging in. If the ridges are too low (a very fine fine finish) then the surface area between the blade and whatever you are cutting will be increased such that 'stiction' can occur. This effect would be aided by fluid / juice from the food that acts as lubrication. High ridges could extend past the fluid and still dig into the food, ridges with the right height could be covered by the fluid while also reducing the surface area in contact with the food and low ridges could cause the fluid to be displaced, bringing a large surface area into contact with the blade. I should add a disclaimer here, this is simply me theorising and could be complete and utter bs.

I typically refinish using sandpaper because it is more forgiving and hides low spots and I find the P400-P800 grit range to be a sweet spot.

Edit: just to make this post even longer, here is an extreme example of the difference that the surface finish can make and a description of the various finishes can be found in the captions.

Sorry for my late response. Thank you for writing such a detailed message! It sounds like I will have to try a JNS 300 too. Those thinning projects that you linked look like you did a ton of good work. I remember when you originally posted about the surface finish issues that you were having with the high grit polish, and that post introduced that idea to me and has been really helpful as I continue learning. I am interested how your theory about surface finish agrees with physics or how other people think about it.

I’m so glad that this knife ended up with you! That thinning job was a nice touch to make that a total slayer. This was my work knife, so having it a bit thicker was kinda nice for the environment it was in. But with that thinnnnn edge that thing is really singing now! And the etch job really went well too. So glad it’s getting the love it should.

love this kind of post, nice job and thanks for documenting and sharing this.

when thinning, I usually do ~70-80% of the job on my coarsest stone (200 grit or so) and then jump to SG500 for the final geometry tuning. it’s hard and not muddy so I can really see all the low spots. it cuts fast enough to remove shallow low spots, so when I’m done with it the geometry should be ok and also the coarse scratches removed. could be a strategy to follow up soft coarse stones that hide low spots.

also, in my limited experience with monosteel (mostly Ashi and vintage Sabs) it can be tricky to find a stone that works well for thinning and polishing. I haven’t found a satisfying setup for them yet.

Toyama gyuto:

Victorinox chef's knife:

that’s some serious metal removing with the JNS 300… I didn’t expect it to be so fast.

love this kind of post, nice job and thanks for documenting and sharing this.

when thinning, I usually do ~70-80% of the job on my coarsest stone (200 grit or so) and then jump to SG500 for the final geometry tuning. it’s hard and not muddy so I can really see all the low spots. it cuts fast enough to remove shallow low spots, so when I’m done with it the geometry should be ok and also the coarse scratches removed. could be a strategy to follow up soft coarse stones that hide low spots.

also, in my limited experience with monosteel (mostly Ashi and vintage Sabs) it can be tricky to find a stone that works well for thinning and polishing. I haven’t found a satisfying setup for them yet.
It's been (perpetually) bumped back in the queue, but I'll document out how using loose SiC on a Crystolon looks on my Sab before it moves up the progression.

It's been (perpetually) bumped back in the queue, but I'll document out how using loose SiC on a Crystolon looks on my Sab before it moves up the progression.
nice! please do. I’m buying a Crystolon soon.

the problem I’m having with my carbon Sabs is that it clogs my SG220 and I have to give the stone some serious lapping to make it cut again. I got a Debado 180 recently, haven’t tried it yet.

Sigma 240 is a softer stone that cuts mono steel efficiently and continuously. Down side, is it does dish and is very porous (sealing it definitely helps hold water).

On the flip side. Norton Crystolon coarse. Dishes slow and cuts fast. It can clog and glaze up though. Using loose SiC powder will refresh the surface. Also rubbing hard on the surface with a piece of sacrificial steel will refresh it also. And if it's loaded with swarf, a can of WD-40 with the straw attachment works great for cleaning out the pores.

Back