Kashima (Yoshikane) Passaround

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daveb

Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderators
Reaction score
This line from Cleancut is relatively new. I bought one, 240mm, stainless clad, that I would like to do a small 5 - 6 peeps passaround with.

Standard rules apply: After receiving, use the knife for a week, two at most. Comments are appreciated but optional. Sharpen only if you know how. Ship to next person USPS Priority, insured for $300, (don't try and save a couple bucks here). KKF participation will be considered if more than 6 put in.

Hit me with a pm if interested. I'll collect shipping addys and work out a shipping order after filling the list.

Looks like a fun knife. I'll pass this time around, but thanks for organizing!

I would like to give it a try. I've been looking at them. Want to compare it to a Gengetsu and Wakui, although mine are 210's.

Damn, the inbox blew up and this one is full.

I'll reach out to everyone soonest - if you've contacted me you're on the list.

Kudos Dave. I was not aware that Kashima line was made by Yoshikane,

Is this knife the one you reviewed in the other thread? I also was confused about the Yoshikane thing. On CC, they list the "By Yoshikane" line as being the iron clad with KU version, but the knife you reviewed in the other thread (with the more civilized finish) seems to be listed just under "Kashima Sanjo". Excited to try it no matter what, of course, and thanks for doing this.

Edit: but then both the Kashima by Yoshikane and Kashima Sanjo lines have the same description on CC... legit confusing.

"Kashima Sanjo is a fantastic knife, hand forged in Sanjo by one of the best in the business. Its a shirogami#2 knife with a very thin and delicate edge. The sharpness is mind blowing and the geometry ensures extreme cutting abilities. Have we talked it up enough yet? Well, theres only one way to find out, and we stake our reputation on the performance of this bad boy. The stainless blade sides have a matte finish and the carbon steel core is polished to a shiny finish. Octagon handles with black pakka wood ferrule."

This passaround has started. I sent the knife to the saya store and Chris did his normal outstanding work with it. Next it's off to MA and then in the following order.

Kashima Passaround

Ian MA

McMann IL

Dafox CO

Barmoley CA

M1K3 CA

Ivang CA

LoL LA

Panda FL

It is in the mail to Ian this morning. Of course I toyed with it while it was in the shop. Initial impressions being at first glance it's a pretty run of the mill clad knife, with a basic, yet handsome pakka handle. These handles offer upgraded looks, without adding a bunch of weight compared to the standard magnolia. The choil and spine, are lightly eased, but would add a ton with a little rounding. The spine is a bit chunkier by the handle, which I like, with a present distal. The softer stainless cladding has that bead blasted style finish. It shows scratches like a mofo, and is impossible to replicate in refinishing; that being said, this knife will not be needing any thinning anytime soon. Getting to that point; this sucker is thin-thin. Ground a bit flat on one side, and very convex on the other, it slides through food with the utmost of ease. It reminds me of my first encounter with a true laser years back, minus any stiction. Pretty terrific sweet spot, I would say. Performance to price, we have a real contender here.

Shipping the knife to @McMan tomorrow.

Received the knife in great condition, with a heavy patina on the core steel. Edge initially had no bite (unable to cut tomatoes, or my fingers, at least easily) but after 30 seconds on a 3k it just flew through everything.

Based on the profile, I and many others initially thought “Gengetsu!”. That was almost my first impression pulling it out of the box: it’s got that *super* thin behind the edge (and then up the blade quite a ways) geometry, and that pretty flat profile with the slightly upswept tip. In use, though, it’s quite different. They both have that amazing lack of stiction, but I think Gengetsu has better food release, while the Kashima’s more lasery and glides through everything like butter. Also, the Gengetsu I had was really flat, to the point where it was from time to time annoying to use on a not-so-perfectly-flat cutting board. The Kashima is also pretty flat, but has a bit more curvature than that. (My comparison here is to the memory of a 210 Gengetsu I used to own that was from the most recent, lighter batch.) Anyway, it was great to try the Kashima. It’s a fantastic knife for the price. As I told McMan, I got both the Kashima and my new Mizuno KS on the same blessed day, and it took me a little bit to decide that I liked the Miz better, even though it’s more than twice as expensive...

Otherwise, I agree with basically all of what @NO ChoP! said. The handle’s nice enough, the finish is extremely matte (and will be impossible to replicate by hand), and the spine and choil need some rounding, which is unfortunate given the existing finish, since that’ll necessitate a complete refinishing if you want it to look perfect again.

Last edited:
Seems good imo. Sharpened up incredibly easily, and felt great to me on the one stone I used (Gesh 3k s&g), although almost anything that thin BTE should be fast to sharpen. I didn’t feel like I needed to touch it up at all afterwards in the week I was using it. Then again, I was only cooking at home, so a week isn’t very much cutting.

Knife is in the mail.

Knife landed safe and sound. In good shape--strong patina at the edge and a few light horizontal scratches in the cladding.
There was a really nice chop shop walnut saya too--no pin though, just a zip-tie that said "daveb wuz here".

Spoiler alert: This is its profile doppelganger:
https://hitohira-japan.com/collecti...products/daa-220-fa240?variant=14048198524981
I traced the profiles and they're close to identical--way different grinds, though.
I checked the profile against an old Yoshikane too. Very similar with the difference coming at the upsweep for the tip--the Yoshi had a lower tip. (Again, though, this is a ten-year old Yoshi; I can’t speak to current SKD profiles so YMMV.)

More to follow...

Reactions: ian
really nice chop shop walnut saya too--no pin though, just a zip-tie that said "daveb wuz here".

Wait, was there originally a pin? I don’t remember now how the saya worked. If there was and it’s not in the package for some reason (should be!), let me know so I can look at home when I get back on Mon. If the pin existed and was lost, it was my fault, not Dave’s. :(

I think (hope) McMann was just having some fun.

Should look like this

Attachments

• Kashima Saya.jpg
    Kashima Saya.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 185
On the way to @dafox.
Putting together my thoughts on the knife shortly...

Let me back out of this pass around guys, I think I’d rather live vicariously through the feedback of others on this one.
Thanks for the opportunity Dave.

4648A2CA-C17A-4F46-A1D5-1C44D9D8D5FB.jpeg
Pretty sure Knives and Stones carries this blade in a polished version labeled as Yoshikane with the KS ebony handle. At the US site they were offering a free upgrade to a snakewood handle. It’s a very nice knife especially for the price. Oops Daveb beat me to it. Dave did you get a snakewood handle?

Why are y’all calling it the same blade? It’s by Yoshikane and looks similar in profile, but the finish is different than the one in the passaround and on the K&S site James calls the one above a “custom order”. Are you sure the grind is the same as the Kashima, for instance?

I don't know.

The finish on the Cleancut is matte. The finish on the K&S is nashiji. That alone could be the "custom" part. Gonna try it and see. I do know that I've never met a Yoshi I didn't like

Back