Hidden gems of the knife world

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My recent exchange with @blokey about the stock grind on a Sakai Ichimonji got me thinking about the hidden gems of the knife world -- knives that perform way above their price point. Because I'm still in rectangle mode, the two that come to mind for me right now are the Kyohei Shindo nakiri:

1 - right side.jpg

2 - left side.jpg

3 - finish.jpg

4 - choil.jpg

5 - spine.jpg

And this Sakai Ichimonji w#2 iron clad compact cleaver:

1 - SI - Right Side.jpg

2 - SI - Left Side.jpg

3 - SI - Choil.jpg

What other knives would you put in the "hidden gem" category? Let's say that knives under $200 are a hidden gem, and knives under $100 are a hidden mega gem.

Triangles obviously welcome as well. Just make sure that you've got yours on lock before publicizing to the masses 😆

Last edited:
I would nominate my Kuwabara tall petty. Thing loves to cut, and I can get an exceptional edge out of his white 1. I paid not far from $100 for it.

Of course I second the Shindo suggestion but another nice surprise I discovered recently was Kumokage. I got a little parer at Bernal a few weeks back and was surprised to find this chonky spined knife was “nail going” thin (edge flexing from pressure from fingernail). After touching up the factory edge it’s actually one of my best cutters though at only 80mm it’s only going to get used for in hand work, mostly fruit cutting. I haven’t looked at the rest of this line in person but I have to assume they are equally thin behind the edge and the whole line is priced in the “budget” range. Granted I got mine during the “F**k it Friday” sale so it was an additional 20% off, but still…

https://bernalcutlery.com/search?q=kumokage&options[prefix]=last&type=product

Last edited:
I practically gave mine away to a line cook on the forum that didn’t have much of a budget and wanted a cleaver for work. Seems like most people really want that sugimoto kanji.
Funny thing how underrated Sugimoto gyutos are, I like them better than most other monosteel Japanese gyutos, including Ginga

People in the know used to rave about Sugimoto long long ago. I’m a lefty so I can’t play with all the mono like everyone else. Still need a Masa VC but fancy stuff keeps getting in the way.

Here’s another one. The Hitohira TD bunka. Presumably made by Tadafusa.

One of my first Japanese knives, before I knew much about what’s what. Bought mostly because of the way it looks. As it turns out, for the money, this guy is kind of a banger. I can not recommend others in the TD line, the TD petty I have is an axe and the TD honesuki is not enough of an axe…sigh. The bunka however, stands out. Nice thick spine, good distal taper and, while the edge isn’t quite as thin as a Shindo it’s thin enough to glide pretty effortlessly through root vegetables. The thing about this knife is it’s just too small for my liking as a produce prep knife and other tasks you’d reach for a mid size knife do not feel great as the profile height drops off rapidly toward the tip. It has earned its place on my rack however as a very competent bunka shaped petty. If I’m Supreming citrus this is my go to, for example and the B2 with SS cladding makes it not an issue. It’s super non reactive.
https://strataportland.com/collecti...nless-clad-kurouchi-165mm-bunka-walnut-handle

Last edited:
Here’s another one. The Hitohira TD bunka. Presumably made by Tadafusa.

One of my first Japanese knives, before I knew much about what’s what. Bought mostly because of the way it looks. As it turns out, for the money, this guy is kind of a banger. I can not recommend others in the TD line, the TD petty I have is an axe and the TD honesuki is not enough of an axe…sigh. The bunka however, stands out. Nice thick spine, good distal taper and, while the edge isn’t quite as thin as a Shindo it’s thin enough to glide pretty effortlessly through root vegetables. The thing about this knife is it’s just too small for my liking as a produce prep knife and other tasks you’d reach for a mid size knife do not feel great as the profile height drops off rapidly toward the tip. It has earned its place on my rack however as a very competent bunka shaped petty. If I’m Supreming citrus this is my go to, for example and the B2 with SS cladding makes it not an issue. It’s super non reactive.
https://strataportland.com/collecti...nless-clad-kurouchi-165mm-bunka-walnut-handle
If I’m not wrong, TD should be Tadafusa, they are Sanjo based and makes a lots of OEMs for other brands like JCK dark moon, they are really good. Toyama used to be work there before he making his own stuff

These and many more plain Seki stuff are incredible BTW
https://jp-knives.com/collections/gotou-cutlery

Their "Wahoo Another Selection" line of yellow-steel yanagiba's from Masahiro seems to be a rather curious model line.

https://jp-knives.com/products/mh-jp-16221

Item Condition : Brand New
Brand : Masahiro
Model : Wahoo Another Selection
Type : Yanagiba Knife (Single edged Right handed)
Total length : 450mm (17.7")
Blade length : 300mm (11.8") (290mm (11.4"))
Blade width : 35mm (1.4")
Blade thickness : 4.3mm (0.18")
Net weight : About 210g
HRC : 60-63
Material
Blade : Yellow Steel 1.1% Carbon Steel
Handle : Magnolia

Kyohei looks fantastic everywhere that matters 👍. Shameless shill for eddworks, have knives 2-3x the cost that don’t match the f&f and performance. My first was just outside the gem price point, but they’re still a bargain.

Also excited to try some okubo

What other knives would you put in the "hidden gem" category? Let's say that knives under $200 are a hidden gem, and knives under $100 are a hidden mega gem.
What qualifies as "hidden", though?

I'm assuming that those price categories are for 210mm gyuto's? (I doubt you'll find too many worthwhile 270mm yanagiba's for such a price.)

I like my Kanehide TK gyuto (they're currently selling for $139 for 210mm, $159 for 240mm).

What qualifies as "hidden", though?

No strict criteria, just lesser known. People can debate whether a knife qualifies in a given instance.

I'm assuming that those price categories are for 210mm gyuto's? (I doubt you'll find too many worthwhile 270mm yanagiba's for such a price.)

yes probably on the shorter side, and likely there are some patterns that may be harder to find if at all.

I like my Kanehide TK gyuto
I recently bought a Kanehide Bessaku 260x49.5mm and it is totally stellar if you are into narrow knives and lasers.
It isn´t sticky (but convex) considering its thinness and the steel is razor sharp.
One of the few knives I have problems doing the "3-finger-test" without cutting into it. 110€
Would definitely buy again or other sizes if in need.

Don´t know if I mentioned Zakharov in the other hidden gems thread but anyways:
He works with N690 and M390? and some damascus steels.
Fit and finish is great. The handle from desert ironwood is finished so well it is almost a bit "sterile", missing the "wooden feel"/wabisabi...
Ordered a 220x50mm gyuto in N690 (210g); came out to 140$ for the knife at the time!
The grind could be a bit more convex (less flat) but other than that it is all you can ask for at that price.
(and hey, we have enough people here spendings lots of money on knives only to grind/polish them flat on purpose)
Thought of selling it sometimes cause I don´t love it but if I´m honest to myself, it is one of the better tools I have in the kitchen. A no brainer you grab very often and that gets the job done. The steel isn´t brittle at all and holds up well. It is the knife I would trust anybody with. Chopping nuts, chocolate and smashing lemongrass.
Price-quality-ratio is amazing but I would nowdays prefer to spend a bit more and get one from Knot handcrafted. Much better grinds.
But if that´s your budget. Go for it!

Attachments

• 2024_0407_10501600.jpg
    2024_0407_10501600.jpg
    876.9 KB · Views: 0
Kanehide Bessaku feels like a great entry-level option, especially for meat-related knives. Also great if you want to try something like a honesuki or sujihiki without breaking the bank.

The only thing that really put me off on the Zakharov knives is the profile. That stubby tip is the exact opposite of what I want in a profile... if he made a 'Ukrainian KS' I'd have been all over it.

Those Wakui seconds that @maxim sells on JNS under the Tanuki line are so good for the price if you can cope with a potential aesthetic blemish.

I have a 180 Gyuto which I bought as a sharpening/polishing mule, but I use it so often that it hasn’t seen any project action yet.

The grind is great, the W#2 is an excellent allrounder for taking an edge quickly and deburring easily, combined with slow drop off in sharpness. Mazaki w#2 lasts longer and feels harder/tougher, but is less pliable on stones.

Also, if you don’t have a line type knife around 165-180mm and 45mm heel height, I’d recommend it, they’re wonderful; kind of like what having an adequately powerful scooter moving filtering through busy city traffic must feel like.

Attachments

• IMG_1705.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
Also, I think K-Sabatier 200 series is still worth mentioning. It's not a 'must have' but definitly a must-consider. The 18 cm slicer pushed out my Gingas for meat-trimming tasks. And if you're someone who actually does prefer to rockchop and a no nonsense easy knife I think the K-Sab 200 25 cm chef knife is worthy of consideration.
The main downside is that there's a bit of a lottery in that there's a higher than 0 chance of getting one that's slightly warped. It's not a problem to get it exchanged for one that isn't but still it's what keeps me from recommending it to 'normies' around me.

The only thing that really put me off on the Zakharov knives is the profile. That stubby tip is the exact opposite of what I want in a profile... if he made a 'Ukrainian KS' I'd have been all over it.
The profile runs really well on the board though, despite it looking pretty curvy:
Zakharov gyuto
So he definitely know what he´s doing.

Michael Knot (Knot handcrafted) works from technical drawings, so you can easily send him a "scan" of your KS if you want a stainless KS. (which exist BTW, in swedish stainless steel, but you probably know that)

The profile runs really well on the board though, despite it looking pretty curvy:
Zakharov gyuto
So he definitely know what he´s doing.

Michael Knot (Knot handcrafted) works from technical drawings, so you can easily send him a "scan" of your KS if you want a stainless KS. (which exist BTW, in swedish stainless steel, but you probably know that)
Knot is on my radar... but when you include all the lovely Brexit import fees it's not in the 'no-brainer stupid cheap' category anymore. The cheapest 'similar to a KS' stainless option is actually an Ashi Ginga. My 270 wa-Ginga is very close to my 240 KS.

As to Zakharov; I'm just not a huge fan of that hockey puck profile... Masashi and to some extent even Toyama do something similar but it's just not my cup of tea.

People in the know used to rave about Sugimoto long long ago. I’m a lefty so I can’t play with all the mono like everyone else. Still need a Masa VC but fancy stuff keeps getting in the way.
Solution: Contact a western maker about a fancy lefty-made monosteel knife that has the aspects of the Masa VC (grind? profile?) that you like.

Latest posts

Back