Other German style curry sauce (for curry wurst)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I wanted to post this for anyone who hasn't had the joy of trying German curry sauce. This recipe was passed to me by Sonja, so eternal thanks to her.

German Curry Sauce
PREP TIME: 10 mins
COOK TIME: 10 mins
TOTAL TIME: 20 mins

INGREDIENTS:
  • 1 tbsp. olive oil
  • 1 small red onion finely diced / cubed
  • 1 x 500ml bottle of Heinz Tomato Ketchup (not Tomato Sauce)
  • 1 tbsp. tomato paste
  • 2 tbsp. water (to deglaze the pan)
  • 2 tbsp. dark balsamic glaze (not balsamic vinegar)
  • 2 tbsp. honey (use a really mild flavour one like Capilano Squeezy Honey)
  • 1 tsp. soy sauce (use a mild flavour one)
  • 3 tbsp. curry powder – to taste (I like using 5 tsp. of Herbies mild madras curry powder combined with 3 tsp. Herbies ground turmeric, and 2 tsp. Herbies ground fenugreek – if unavailable, Keens curry powder actually works quite well for this, although it is a little grittier given the ground rice flour in the Keens curry powder)
  • 4 dashes of hot sauce – to taste (use a less vinegary one like Cholula)
  • 1 tbsp. white vinegar

INSTRUCTIONS:
Follow the method broadly described on video:
  1. Heat olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat. In the meantime, cube the onion finely.
  2. Add onion cubes to the saucepan and fry until translucent (not brown).
  3. Add tomato paste and roast with the onions for a couple of minutes on medium-high heat (it should change colour slightly from red to brown).
  4. Deglaze with about 2 tbsp. of water (it should change colour from brown to orange).
  5. Add ketchup, balsamic glaze and honey and cook over medium-low heat for a few minutes.
  6. Stir in soy sauce and curry powder.
  7. Taste test remembering that the curry flavour will be more pronounced when the sauce cools vs when it is hot.
  8. Add the white vinegar if you prefer a tangy flavour.
  9. Add the hot sauce if you like it spicy.
  10. The sauce should have a thick, honey like consistency. Add water if necessary or if you prefer a more liquid consistency.
  11. Cool the sauce and transfer to glass jar to keep in the fridge.

I should include some background and serving suggestions for anyone unfamiliar with the curry wurst sauce.

Basically this is the sauce that makes the Berlin special so popular. Curry sauce is available in pre-made tubes, like all condiments, but this blows them all out of the water. I’ve not found anything with fat and protein that’s not improved by this condiment of condiments. It’s German style so it’s not going to go ferocious on any spices or flavours but it’s in this mildness that it really becomes a jack of all trades condiment that is loved by kids and adults alike. It’s kind of like a chutney or relish, but more of a saucy consistency.

Serving suggestions (in addition to the traditional curry wurst deployment):
It’s a banger on a banger (that’s a sausage)
Try in grilled cheese sandwich
On hot chips / fries
Any pastry related item, like pies, pasties, sausage rolls
Steak, pork, chicken, game, you name it, it’s surprisingly versatile

With respect to the curry mix, I’ve put some suggestions, but basically you’re looking for a curry powder with a decent amount of fenugreek and turmeric, so more of a madras style (the powder should look quite yellowish, not brown like the browner cinnamon based Sri Lankan curry powders).

I hope this brings someone else some nostalgia.

A whole bottle of Heinz! That´s more like a dessert, no?
Yeah, I do get most of these curry sauce recipes have lots of sugar but I like to use less when homemade.

One to try and one I like, is if the one from Tim Mälzer:
With orange juice and star anise, tomato mark, tomatoes, broth, cayenne and good curry powder
(whatever that means;- but I agree to use one of the more yellow kinds))
Tim Mälzer Currysauce

Currywurst is iconic in Germany. I grew up with the stuff. If any of you have read Terry Pratchett, Cut-Me-Own-Throat Dibbler would have sold it. It's the kind of thing that doesn't actually taste all that great, but it's impossible to not like it, and even more impossible to not have it again the next time you come across it :)

The correct Bratwurst for this is a "Weiße Bratwurst", which is emulsified, so it has a very fine texture, and blanched after stuffing. The meat inside is white with a greyish tinge to it. To serve, fry or grill the Bratwurst, liberally douse with the curry sauce, and sprinkle some more curry powder on top. Normally eaten with French fries on the side.

Last edited:
The correct Bratwurst for this is a "Weiße Bratwurst"
Heard many things and stories about currywurst but that one is new to me!
Find it funny how lots of regions claim to have "invented" the currywurst.
Berlin people especially.
Most places in Berlin would of course ask "mit oder ohne Darm"? meaning "with or without casing"? (from animal intestines).
Then they cut your chosen sausage, sprinkle curry powder over it and pour cold! ketchup over it.
Coming from west-germany this is quite odd. The not so hot ketchup makes all the fats solidify and harms the taste imho. I think the sauce has gotta to be hot!

Anways, here is the (in germany) quite famous song about this "dish":
Herbert Grönemeyer "Currywurst"

Then they cut your chosen sausage, sprinkle curry powder over it and pour cold! ketchup over it.
Coming from west-germany this is quite odd. The not so hot ketchup makes all the fats solidify and harms the taste imho. I think the sauce has gotta to be hot!
Agree. The sauce needs to be hot. The one in the recipe is a bit too coarse and a bit too thick for my liking. I'd blend it more until it is perfectly smooth (and/or pass it through a sieve) and add more water to it. When hot, the sauce should flow easily (a bit less viscous than room-temperature ketchup).

Agree. The sauce needs to be hot. The one in the recipe is a bit too coarse and a bit too thick for my liking. I'd blend it more until it is perfectly smooth (and/or pass it through a sieve) and add more water to it. When hot, the sauce should flow easily (a bit less viscous than room-temperature ketchup).
Totally agree for the curry wurst.
Although I can highly recommend the home made version (not bought) cold used as a condiment for other non-traditional applications. Don’t box it in. Although if you’re planning to eat it cold (like I’m doing at the moment) it does change the flavour profile quite a bit so hold back from going too hard on the curry powder while it’s hot (which I did in one of my many previous batches), as the curry powder flavour seems to be more noticeable when cold vs hot. If I was planning on using this hot for curry wurst, I’d probably tweak the seasoning and curry quantities at least (possibly also the honey / sweetness too, but I haven’t played around too much with that as I can’t find reliably good bratwursts locally).
I agree just like peanut butter there’s a personal preference to the chunky or smooth debate.

It's the kind of thing that doesn't actually taste all that great, but it's impossible to not like it
This reminded me of Heston Blumenthal eating a McDonalds burger, and then stating something like "you just can't say it tastes bad".

I know lots of people who claim this type of food sucks, but they'd all eat it if put in front of them...

Wait, I thought currywurst was a sausage with curry seasoning in the meat.

The reason that I think that is that I order it 10 lbs at a time from a very good German sausage maker in Wisconsin.

Nothing wrong with adding curry to a sausage. If it’s tasty, by all means. German Currywurst always is made with Bratwurst in the thicker 28-32 calibre hog casings, not the 18-20 sheep casings that are used for Nürnberger.

thanks for sharing the recipe. I like the variation that substitutes very fine apple puree for the vinegar. Concerning this recipe i'd go with less heinz and more tomato puree. Especially if you add more sugar in form of honey...

thumb_d65a9115_1024.jpg

After many attempts, this sauce is very close to VW ketchup (I live very close to Wolfsburg):

3/4 cup sugar (150 g)
1/2 cup tomato paste / 2-fold concentrated (120 g)
3 tbsp. white wine vinegar (40 ml)
1 tsp. garam masala (7 g)
1 tbsp. starch (15 g)
1-2 tsp. salt (10 g)

Add:
1 cup water (200 ml)

Preparation

- In a saucepan, mix cold water with salt, white wine vinegar and the starch until smooth.
- Bring everything to a boil and simmer over low heat until the liquid thickens.
- Then stir in tomato paste, sugar as well as garam masala and let everything simmer for 10 minutes at low heat until the desired consistency. Be careful that the sauce does not burn on the bottom of the pot.
- Pour the finished ketchup into a sealable jar or suitable bottle and store refrigerated.

Translated with DeepL

View attachment 254875

After many attempts, this sauce is very close to VW ketchup (I live very close to Wolfsburg):

3/4 cup sugar (150 g)
1/2 cup tomato paste / 2-fold concentrated (120 g)
3 tbsp. white wine vinegar (40 ml)
1 tsp. garam masala (7 g)
1 tbsp. starch (15 g)
1-2 tsp. salt (10 g)

Add:
1 cup water (200 ml)

Preparation

- In a saucepan, mix cold water with salt, white wine vinegar and the starch until smooth.
- Bring everything to a boil and simmer over low heat until the liquid thickens.
- Then stir in tomato paste, sugar as well as garam masala and let everything simmer for 10 minutes at low heat until the desired consistency. Be careful that the sauce does not burn on the bottom of the pot.
- Pour the finished ketchup into a sealable jar or suitable bottle and store refrigerated.

Translated with DeepL
Nice!
Do you use a cinnamon / cardamom / coriander based garam masala (Sri Lankan style)?

I had my first weißwurst (boiled veal sausage) last weekend when I visited Munich. Served with pretzel and a sweet chunky mustard. This iconic dish can only be ordered before noon if following tradition and has to be released from its intestinal sheath. Bit tasteless but luckily the mustard raises the enjoyment level. I'm sure the curry wurst sauce is there for the same reason

The Ultimate Guide to German Sausages #2: Weisswurst
https://www.google.com/imgres?imgur...hUKEwiL__yngY6AAxXa1QIHHY_fDQoQMygBegUIARDRAQ

Another one:

vegetable oil (for frying)
1 teaspoon brown sugar
1 green onion (whole, peeled)
2 tablespoons tomato paste
2 tablespoons brown sugar or honey
1 tablespoon curry powder (mild, such as English curry)
1 tablespoon curry powder (spicy, e.g. Madras curry)
1 teaspoon paprika powder, sweet
1 teaspoon chilli powder
optional bay leaf
optional carnation
optional allspice
optional coriander seeds
1 pinch of cinnamon
1 teaspoon pepper
Salt
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar (or red balsamic vinegar)
50 ml of pineapple juice (or apple juice)
100 ml vegetable broth or chicken broth
500 grams canned tomatoes (whole, peeled)

Preparation:

Heat the oil in the pan. Meanwhile, chop the onion and garlic, sauté the garlic, caramelize the teaspoon of brown sugar, add the onions and sauté until translucent.

Add the tomato paste, sugar and spices and stir in the pan for a few minutes. Deglaze with vinegar and pineapple juice and bring to the boil briefly.

Add the canned tomatoes to the pan and turn the heat down to low. Simmer the Berlin curry sauce gently for about 30 minutes, puree and simmer for another 5-10 minutes until the sauce thickens. taste. Complete. Cool!

You can also use other juices, e.g. apple juice. Coke works too.
You can also put mango pulp in it. Or chop an apple and add it. There are some variations that taste very good.

231089-IMG-8735.jpg

I had my first weißwurst (boiled veal sausage) last weekend when I visited Munich. Served with pretzel and a sweet chunky mustard. This iconic dish can only be ordered before noon if following tradition and has to be released from its intestinal sheath. Bit tasteless but luckily the mustard raises the enjoyment level. I'm sure the curry wurst sauce is there for the same reason

View attachment 254891
https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=https://i2.wp.com/www.asausagehastwo.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/IMG_9380.jpg?fit=2816%2C1880&ssl=1&tbnid=gUF8J4MSc-AMlM&vet=12ahUKEwiL__yngY6AAxXa1QIHHY_fDQoQMygBegUIARDRAQ..i&imgrefurl=https://www.asausagehastwo.com/german-sausage-guide-weisswurst/&docid=p92ZU70fRSfHtM&w=2816&h=1880&q=german weißwurst&client=firefox-b-d&ved=2ahUKEwiL__yngY6AAxXa1QIHHY_fDQoQMygBegUIARDRAQ
The currywurst is all about the sauce. You can really use tasty sausages for the dish. Otherwise, a bratwurst would never taste good without a sauce ;)

When it comes to Weißwurst, opinions differ greatly in Germany. It is a popular dish in Bavaria and is often eaten for breakfast. And yes, the sweet mustard makes a big difference. But the sausage itself can also be very tasty. I myself like the white sausage very much. Especially if it was made by a good butcher. For example, if it has been in the water for too long, it can taste watery. Or there is too little parsley in it.
It's the same as with everything. The mixture makes the quality and the taste.
But you either like them or you hate them. Most germans hate them😂

Interesting! I’ve only been using the yellow Madras style curry blends that are heavy on the turmeric, fenugreek, cumin and coriander.
How does the brown spice blend compare? Do you rock your sauce cold as well as hot? (I seem to mostly be using mine cold as a condiment for pretty much anything)…..
I also sometimes use curry powder (although curry is actually a dish, not a spice - but in germany they call it that).
The curry powder here is usually milder than garam masala.
In the end, every mixture is different - I would just try around 🙂

The sauce can be used like ketchup, cold and hot.
For „German Curry Sausage“: heat it up and cover the sausage completely with it. And then (very important) add a good amount of curry powder on top.

The desert was amazing. Simple yet very tasty. Sort of a thick pancake with raisins and nuts, cut up into pieces.
That's called "Kaiserschmarrn". "Schmarrn" means something simple, unimportant, without artistic merit, or sub-standard. A "Schmarrn" is the medieval equivalent of a fridge raid or left-over hunt. There was a simple dish known as "Holzfällerschmarrn" (lumberjack's Schmarrn). The Austrian emperor ("Kaiser") went on a hunt and, because the normal dish wasn't deemed fit for an emperor, they added milk, egg, and raisins, and called it "Kaiserschmarrn".

Last edited:
The Austrian emperor ("Kaiser") went on a hunt and, because the normal dish wasn't deemed first for an emperor, they added milk, egg, and raisins, and called it "Kaiserschmarrn".
Or so legend will have us believe. There are various other origin stories, likely all of them apocryphal. It's not that hard to take flour, milk, eggs, sugar, and raisins to make some sort of pancakey affair :)

Last edited:
Back