Flake pepper on most everything it seems

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Edge

Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderators
Reaction score
Hey all you chefs, I have a question. It appears in the last 3 or 4 years that all steaks and many other dishes have this flake black pepper. It is larger than regular home ground black pepper. Do you know this pepper?

And why is it everywhere these days? I had a steak on Saturday and I examined the write up and photo of the steak and it looked just cooked on the flat surface or large pan. Darkened outside, nice med rare inside.

But when I got it, the darken outside was mostly that flaked black pepper burned in. I did eat the inside of the steak, but not the outside. (I should have asked before ordering).

And I only ask as I don't really prefer it but would eat it, and it has a detrimental effect on my body soon after eating.

What do you recommend I ask or give as instructions to get a steak or other meats/meals without it?

Ask for fine or no pepper. Do you also have issues with red chili flakes? Because some places may use that as an alternative, hopefully sparingly. Just to avoid the issue, if there is one.

Not sure if it's a trend or laziness. Coarser grind..... grinds faster.. o_O

Okay, I can ask for no pepper. I would ask for no substitutes as I don't do spicy stuff.
I'm just really amazed at how that flaky pepper is used so much these days. Oh well, as long as I can get a good steak without extra seasoning such as pepper on it.

I'll venture that more restaurants are using Sous Vide for their steaks in the last couple years. Makes for a great steak but an insipid looking one without a good sear. And pepper is easy to burn on and look like a good sear.

"Chef grind" is bigger flakes - I like them like that when not grinding my own. "Restaurant grind" is much smaller and will work in a shaker. Easy answer is ask for it without.

I'd just simply say "no pepper" and apply any at your discretion when it's on the plate in front of you, which would likely be very light.

I don't think I'd want to change up my line completely, just for one steak, but if I was normally crusting heavily with S&P right before finishing on the grill, I'd be forced to place this steak aside while it sears longer to develop a similar degree of crust color. You might end up with a slightly over-cooked steak, with a larger band of grayish meat on the outer surface.

If I was doing this one-off and still wanted the same texture/crust, minus the pepper, I'd sauté in a slightly deeper amount of fat than usual and be done with it, rather than wrangling in the timing on a grill. I doubt many would want to bother, but it depends on the kitchen.

Okay, I can ask for no pepper. I would ask for no substitutes as I don't do spicy stuff.
I'm just really amazed at how that flaky pepper is used so much these days. Oh well, as long as I can get a good steak without extra seasoning such as pepper on it.

You lost me at "i don't do spicy stuff".

Why put pepper on a steak before cooking it in the first place ? Or it is me being weird?

I like steak. And after cooked maybe a touch of butter melted on it.

Occasionally steak with a bit of guacamole, or a ginger sauce (as in Benihana).

Latest posts

Back