First good knife: Watanabe Pro Nakiri 165mm

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riffol

Reaction score
Hi

I just wanted to say thanks for all the wonderful posts going back many years that recommended the Watanabe Pro Nakiri 165mm as the one to get.

Double bevel, Blade: Yasuki blue steel core with stainless outer
Octagonal shaped Honduras rose wood handle with white dyed maple hilt

Shinichi Watanabe-san makes one of the best Nakiri knives in Japan and he’s amazingly helpful and answered all my questions, including how to take care of it.

It took 10 days from the initial contact via his site to receiving the knife in NYC.

Attachments

• IMG_8158.jpeg
    IMG_8158.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8161.jpeg
    IMG_8161.jpeg
    6.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8167.jpeg
    IMG_8167.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
The names hunter, its nice to meet you! my user name is just a little play on words lmao.
Nice to meet you. I am Mihir. Sorry about the typo! I meant to say thank you! Thanks!

Very nice knife, Riffol.

A couple of questions.
a) what's the blade height? I thought Watanabes tended to be kind of tall (60ish) and this one seems more middle-of-the road in width.
b) how much was shipping to the US? I'm in NJ
c) Any advice in terms of negotiating Watanabe's ordering process?

Very nice knife, Riffol.

A couple of questions.
a) what's the blade height? I thought Watanabes tended to be kind of tall (60ish) and this one seems more middle-of-the road in width.
Thanks!

I will get back to you about the height. I am away from home at the moment.

Shipping was JPY 5000

Just email Shinichi-San via his site and wait for the reply. The 12 hour difference means the conversation will take a couple of days. He usually replies during the weekday afternoons, Japanese time, so around 2am - 3am ET. Very easy to work with.

Good luck!

Very nice knife, Riffol.

A couple of questions.
The 180 Pros are taller. Mine is 62mm at the heel.

Back