Designing a better Knife Wall and Knife Stand

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naptight

Reaction score
I was going to make a classic magnetic wall rack for my knives, but I can't find the piece of live edge I was planning to use so I figure I might as well design something better. If you were to design the perfect knife rack for you what features would it have?

I think mine should have:
1. Wall mount, to limit the counter space it takes up.
2. Ability to grab a knife from the wall with my cutting hand using a pinch grip. Usually, my food holding hand is wet, oily or covered in food, so I don't want to need to use it to adjust the knife after I grab it. I have a spinal cord injury and have limit wrist mobility with my cutting hand, hence rotating the knifes off the plane of the wall and closer to the plane I will use it in.
3. Prevent the whole rack from falling (I don't trust adhesive mounting) and prevent individual knives from slipping (if the magnets are so strong the knife is locked into place then its harder to remove the knife and more likely to damage the edge).

I also don't like resting my knifes on my cutting board, seems sketch. Because of my SCI I also struggle to place them on the board without contacting the tip or the edge. And I struggle to pick them up with my pinch grip and in the correct position to get back to cutting. So I want to make a stand for use during prep. Kind of like a utensil rest.

These are two quick designs I came up with.

What are your thoughts on the subject? Are there old threads on here solving the same problems?

Attachments

• stand front.png
    stand front.png
    335.2 KB · Views: 0
  • stand rear.png
    stand rear.png
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • stand side.png
    stand side.png
    379.5 KB · Views: 0
  • stand top.png
    stand top.png
    222.4 KB · Views: 0
  • wall below.png
    wall below.png
    728.6 KB · Views: 0
  • wall front.png
    wall front.png
    383.1 KB · Views: 0
  • wall top.png
    wall top.png
    308.5 KB · Views: 0
Looks profitable to me, and along the lines of what I was thinking as I read. 👍🏾

I think that design could work on countertops as well, if you have the space; as opposed to the slotted racks you see.

Interesting, maybe a cleated design so the whole thing could detach and be placed on the counter.

While I do moonlight as a furniture maker, the intention is to make one for myself in hopes my wife lets me keep all seven knives I bought this month. If not, I blame you all for ruining my relationship. 😏

Nice stand! Doubles as a burr remover, right? For me, I still struggle to get the rotation from my wrist to place the knife down horizontally. Whatever that slicer or petty is, it's beautiful!

That's not a bad rack design. I think if the front of the shelves were open so the knives can be placed in from the front it would be much more convenient.

Edit: I guess they can be placed in from the front if there is room to slide the tip in far enough so the butt of the handle can clear the shelf. Doesn't seem super convenient tho.

If you're going to be using something as a stand during prep my main concern would be how to keep it clean. A knife temporarily put down during prep is rarely squeeky clean.
Actually like the cork idea; it's simple and free...

Back