Demeyere frying pans review, Proline, Multiline, Industry, Ecoline etc

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I picked up an Atlantis saucier and I do like it although the rivetless design makes me a little nervous

Admittedly he's a bit of a scrawny guy, but I think it's enough to show that you don't have to worry about it.
I've also seen gazillions of large heavy professional stockpots (from other brands) that also had welded handles. I wouldn't worry about it.
People who experienced welded handles coming off also seem to be incredibly rare; it's not something you hear very often.

A good weld should be as good as or better than a rivet. I mistrust the spot welds on Fissler handles but the Demeyere look good, not that I can actually see the weld.

I would like a helper handle on the 3.5qt Atlantis saucier, but it’s not a dealbreaker.

I did hear back from Zwilling and they indicated that only Atlantis clad and Silver 7 clad have fully encapsulated rims.
Helper handles are always a bit of a mixed bag for me. They have one on the 28 cm proline and I wished it didn't have it. While it does give you the option of holding the pan on the other side, it also adds mass furthest away from your original handle position, so it makes the pan handle noticably worse when you're using it one-handed.

FWIW The Fisslers don't seem to be any worse than the Demeyere... saw a lot of those in professional kitchen's but never one that failed.

Helper handles are always a bit of a mixed bag for me. They have one on the 28 cm proline and I wished it didn't have it. While it does give you the option of holding the pan on the other side, it also adds mass furthest away from your original handle position, so it makes the pan handle noticably worse when you're using it one-handed.

FWIW The Fisslers don't seem to be any worse than the Demeyere... saw a lot of those in professional kitchen's but never one that failed.

agree on all this.

i prefer the multiline for this reason. even if all i cooked was steaks.

I have a 10 qt. stockpot, with welded handles, that I've owned for more than 20 years. A couple of weeks ago, one of the handles broke off while I was washing it. I don't know why it broke, since it lasted this many years, but it has reinforced my preference for riveted handles, especially on larger pots. Thank God I wasn't carrying a full pot of boiling hot liquid.

I'm still building my list of All-Clad replacement pieces and am still looking mostly at Fissler/Demeyere.

At this point, since I have the Fissler Profi 28cm rondeau, I don't see a pressing need for a Proline frying pan, since the Fissler's Queen-approved bottom should sear as well as or better than Proline. Think I may get a 28cm Multiline when the time comes for frying pan replacement.

I now have a 2.1qt and 3.5qt Atlantis saucier, and want another 3.5qt, but rather than getting another stick handled saucier, I'm mulling getting this 24cm Atlantis conical dutch oven.

I am a bit confused, however, because the listed specs vary a bit from the specs on the saucier, but by my estimation, they ought to be the exact same pot with different handles. Does anyone have both and can speak to that?

I went ahead and got the 24cm conical dutch oven as a second 3.5qt saucier. I think it may be the exact same pan as the actual 24cm Atlantis saucier, despite the specs not matching, but I will report back with what I find when it arrives.

I think it's likely to be the same pan because it doesn't quite make sense to me to have a different shape (and thus a different press die) for the saucier vs the dutch oven.

I've also discovered Demeyere ControlInduc frying pans. I'm curious if anyone (@Jovidah ?) can compare them to Multiline.

I went ahead and got the 24cm conical dutch oven as a second 3.5qt saucier. I think it may be the exact same pan as the actual 24cm Atlantis saucier, despite the specs not matching, but I will report back with what I find when it arrives.

I think it's likely to be the same pan because it doesn't quite make sense to me to have a different shape (and thus a different press die) for the saucier vs the dutch oven.

I've also discovered Demeyere ControlInduc frying pans. I'm curious if anyone (@Jovidah ?) can compare them to Multiline.
Controlinduc is a special line that has some magic going on to limit its maximum temperature on induction. I think @MarcelNL has a pan from that series.
Never held one in my hands myself nor did I particularly look into them, so my guess would be as good as yours.

There doesn't seem to be much difference between MultiLine, ControlInduc and MultiFunction.

ControlInduc is considered "Gold/5 Star" level quality.
MultiFunction has two loop handles and is considered "5 star" level quality
MultiLine is considered "Silver/4 star" level quality, but it's not at all clear why, since the specs seem nearly identical to the other two.

Demeyere Frying Pan Matrix.jpg

Last edited:
There doesn't seem to be much difference between MultiLine, ControlInduc and MultiFunction.

MultiLine is considered "Silver/4 star" level quality, but it's not at all clear why, since the specs seem nearly identical to the other two.

View attachment 318669
The magic in Controlinduc is why it is 5*. Have you seen them? They are ugly. I might buy that maybe for Teflon to avoid killing my family and any nearby birds. Actually I would just stick with carbon steel. Anyway. The other two are functionally equivalent. Proline remains the best and worth the investment if you don’t need the magic.

The magic in Controlinduc is why it is 5*. Have you seen them? They are ugly. I might buy that maybe for Teflon to avoid killing my family and any nearby birds. Actually I would just stick with carbon steel. Anyway. The other two are functionally equivalent. Proline remains the best and worth the investment if you don’t need the magic.
Been looking for/at pictures of MultiLine/MultiFunction/ControlInduc, and they look identical to me. It does seem like previous versions of ControlInduc may have had a plainer/ugilier handle, but the newer versions seem to have the same handles as the rest.

There's also nonstick ControlInduc and plain stainless.

Or perhaps the photos are incorrect.

I indeed tried the controlinduc and while the control works, I believe that it's simply a piece of metal that loses conductivity due to the curie point being reached, the non stick is not lasting long enough to justify the price point. A rough estimate is that it survived a year and a half of home cook use, which IMHO is too short especially knowing that overheating is impossible.

View attachment 318669
That 4 / 5 star division is a really oldschool, I don't think they've used that in marketing for about 10 years.
As far as I've seen Multifunction is basically a double loop handle version of Multiline. But all the important info is in there; thickness, amount of layers, and whether edges are sealed.

Proline is best for searing meat but for anything else I will take my Multiline any day of the weak. No one needs 4,8mm to saute some vegetables, make a risotto, brown some onions, or any of the million other non-meat tasks you can do in a frying pan.
If I could only pick one I'd still lean to Multiline because it can still do meat well enough.

Of course I didn't pick one and ended up picking about 7... :rolleyes:

they're practically interchangeable. i corresponded with a rep here in europe some years ago when on pan buying spree. the rim is what makes a difference (apart from the magnetic temp thing).

and just to repeat myself: if you're unable to sear a steak to perfection in a 3mm pan, you don't need a heavier one to improve the results ;)

All true, BUT
The difference I have noticed is when using a largish pan on a too small induction element. The heavier pan is better able to hold heat on the edges not directly over the element. If you’re on gas, however, it doesn’t matter.

Back