Daily Knife Pics. Any Knife. Join In!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nico Nicolaides helping to pseudo-supreme some clementines for my kiddo. Love the wood on the handle (I know this is not proper technique but it’s quick and I eat/suck the juice out of the scraps)

IMG_2766.jpeg

Removed the chip in my Yoake. I decided to do a bit of thinning (just a little, I thought), then I started chasing high/low spots. Now it looks a bit messy. Between the highs and lows and weird uneven cladding. If I go back through my stone progression will this look better? 😕
IMG_6470.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_6480.mov
    10.4 MB
  • IMG_6479.mov
    15.9 MB
Removed the chip in my Yoake. I decided to do a bit of thinning (just a little, I thought), then I started chasing high/low spots. Now it looks a bit messy. Between the highs and lows and weird uneven cladding. If I go back through my stone progression will this look better? 😕
View attachment 311695
If you just want it to look more presentable again and aren’t bothered about doing a full stone polish, sandpaper would be the quickest way to get to that result.

I was about to say this.
On the other hand, if you specifically want to do it all with benchstones for the practice, then yeah you will want to drop right down to a coarse grit.

Chasing out a low spot means you’re having to remove material pretty much everywhere else on the bevel to bring the low spot up to the same plane.

This can take ages (as in multiple days of effort) and will require additional work to either follow the original geometry, or add convexity back in to your own tastes.

View attachment 311695

That right there is why I'm not a polisher. It's every knife man. 🤪

If you just want it to look more presentable again and aren’t bothered about doing a full stone polish, sandpaper would be the quickest way to get to that result.

Yep, sandpaper.

Damn that’s a shame. I’ll gladly pay you for the raw material if you’re just going to throw it out.

On a serious note, I’m assuming this was dunked in something? Can’t put my finger on what would leave the core spotless like that.

It’s intentional - I’m using a technique called rust bluing to restore the KU as part of a full refresh of this blade before it enters service for myself. Alternating cycles of forced rust and boiling create a very durable black oxide finish on areas where the KU has worn over time. Much much better results than a nasty bluing chemical solution

It’s intentional - I’m using a technique called rust bluing to restore the KU as part of a full refresh of this blade before it enters service for myself. Alternating cycles of forced rust and boiling create a very durable black oxide finish on areas where the KU has worn over time. Much much better results than a nasty bluing chemical solution
Very interesting. Definitely assumed it was intentional, I’ll read into it more 👍

Back