Daily Knife Pics. Any Knife. Join In!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_3755.jpg

Robin's honyaki with rainbow.

The plan is only to polish the “primary” bevel, if you can call it that.. I’m intending to leave the KU as is. Just that sandblasted part is gritty as all hell, creates a lot of friction.

you are right about the rest of the blade tho, there’s significant pitting and unevenness that would require a ton of work to polish up.

Ah. couldn’t even tell that it was really ku in that light. In that case, I’d worry a little about getting the transition to look good, if there’s no shinogi or anything.

Reactions: Pie
Ah. couldn’t even tell that it was really ku in that light. In that case, I’d worry a little about getting the transition to look good, if there’s no shinogi or anything.

terrible lighting on the knife wall, my apologies. Plenty to worry about on this project for sure, no defined shinogi to the fingers and no idea how to polish convex. Got it at $100 discount so I vowed to take it to the stones instead of just looking at it all day. A fun and useful mule, as it were. Just wish the ootb edge wasn’t so amazing!

I love those Gesshin parers. It's a shame the handles aren't better.

Yeah, but I have five dollar spatulas with better handles. And I have a bunch of inexpensive knives in a similar price range with comparably luxurious handles.

I have both the Gesshin 90 and the 105 and really like both of them, but they have the cheapest handles of any tool I own. The shape is good, but that plastic is no bueno. If I could snap my fingers, pay $100, and have the handle material on both knives magically turn into bog oak, I'd do it in a heartbeat. Or if I could just have paid $20 more per knife and gotten a decent wood/pakka handle, I would freaking love them. But as is, they're great blades that are let down by the handle materials. Sadface.

Last edited:
I never took to the cheaper Gesshin parers, and not just the handles. They do cut as they are extremely thin, but just does not seem substantial enough for me. The price was attractive but I would rather just pony up for a knife that better suits me.

Back