Chefs, who cooks at home?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Edge

Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderators
Reaction score
I was just thinking of this forum and how many of you are chefs. Then I wondered do you do the cooking at home or does the significant other? (see how PC I'm stating this? ;)).

Just curious. I don't do the fancy cooking, but I do watch the cooking shows and learn stuff. And I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express many years ago :)!

I do, and I know some others that do, but I also know some that don’t- one guy I used to work with I feel made an effort to eat as crappily as possible when he wasn’t on the clock.

I cook at home pretty regularly, mainly on days off or short days. My wife cooks the majority though. I do prep some things for her a few days in advance usually, not always.

I do, and I know some others that do, but I also know some that don’t- one guy I used to work with I feel made an effort to eat as crappily as possible when he wasn’t on the clock.
What type of foods do you like to cook for home family? And just for curiosity, can you do that fast chopping I see on Food network shows with chefs?

I cook at home pretty regularly, mainly on days off or short days. My wife cooks the majority though. I do prep some things for her a few days in advance usually, not always.

That sounds neat. Nice division of work. Were you a chef when you got married so she knew you could cook, and does that intimidate her?

Ditto. At work I'm the sous chef. At home I'm the sous chef.
So you have to do the prep, like cutting everything tiny for stir fry? What is your favorite type of food to be involved in cooking? Italian, French, soul food? Bologna sandwich?

I love the ginger sauce that is or was in the past used at Benihana. In the late 1980's I went there a lot and swear my youngest has that sauce in her veins. I can put that on any and almost everything.
Now I just make a soy sauce, vinegar, and ginger powder, onion powder mixture to use at home.

I love hearing about your chefing (is that a word?).

I was doing PC Repair when we got married. Then transitioned into cooking.

What an interesting transition. What is your favorite food to prepare? Or specific dish?

(Yes I'm just full of questions.
I love the cooking shows and chefs are very interesting.)

So you have to do the prep, like cutting everything tiny for stir fry? What is your favorite type of food to be involved in cooking? Italian, French, soul food? Bologna sandwich?

Yes, I'm definitely in charge of stir fry prep.
On my day off I make stuff that we can freeze and use on days when neither one of us can cook. We eat Italian, Indian, Thai, Mexican, American..... Right now in the freezer there's eggplant curry, Cuban black bean soup, lasagna, lentil curry, several kinds of meatballs, marinara sauce, pesto, spinach curry (I ran an Indian restaurant for awhile, I love making curry). I also love soul food, barbecue/smoked meats, New England style seafood, California style veggie centric cuisine, and anything spicy or spiced.

Most days my wife is home by 6 but I'm not until 9 or 10. So I trained her to cook and she's damn good. She likes to work from recipes. When I'm working late and she has time she makes stuff. Often she'll give me the recipes she wants to try a few days ahead of time and I do all the knife work. Stick it in Tupperware in the fridge. We only eat out once every other week or so and when we travel. But even then we like to do AirB&B and stay in apartments with kitchens so we don't have to eat all of our meals out. When she finds particularly badass recipes I steal them and use them at my job.
Her favorites to make off of the top of my head
Santa Fe Chicken Chili
Tomatillo Chicken Chili Verde
Thai Basil Ka Prow Chicken
Zucchini Noodles with Marinara and Meatballs
Teriyaki Salmon with Black Rice and Bok Choy
Moroccan Chicken and Cous Cous
Coconut Shrimp Curry
Harissa Chicken Legs with Leeks and Potatoes
Dill Potato and Feta Tart

We always eat "Fish and Vegetables" at least once a week. This is whatever fish looks freshest at the grocery store. When fresh corn is available the vegetables are sweet corn plus whatever veggies look freshest chopped up the size of the corn. During the winter it's a bunch of root veggies chopped really small for root veggie hash.

We are spoiled. It makes it difficult to eat restaurant food.

On my day off I make stuff that we can freeze and use on days when neither one of us can cook. We eat Italian, Indian, Thai, Mexican, American..... Right now in the freezer there's eggplant curry, Cuban black bean soup, lasagna, lentil curry, several kinds of meatballs, marinara sauce, pesto, spinach curry (I ran an Indian restaurant for awhile, I love making curry). I also love soul food, barbecue/smoked meats, New England style seafood, California style veggie centric cuisine, and anything spicy or spiced.

Most days my wife is home by 6 but I'm not until 9 or 10. So I trained her to cook and she's damn good. She likes to work from recipes. When I'm working late and she has time she makes stuff. Often she'll give me the recipes she wants to try a few days ahead of time and I do all the knife work. Stick it in Tupperware in the fridge. We only eat out once every other week or so and when we travel. But even then we like to do AirB&B and stay in apartments with kitchens so we don't have to eat all of our meals out. When she finds particularly badass recipes I steal them and use them at my job.
Santa Fe Chicken Chili
Coconut Shrimp Curry
Harissa Chicken Legs with Leeks and Potatoes

We always eat "Fish and Vegetables" at least once a week. This is whatever fish looks freshest at the grocery store. When fresh corn is available the vegetables are sweet corn plus whatever veggies look freshest chopped up the size of the corn. During the winter it's a bunch of root veggies chopped really small for root veggie hash.

We are spoiled. It makes it difficult to eat restaurant food.

That's spectacular! Dill Potato and Feta Tart, sounds interesting. And I can see why it would be difficult to "eat out". I love the idea of the tiny chopped up veggies.
That Teriyaki Salmon with Black Rice and Bok Choy sounds yummy. I just learned of black rice by watching "That challenge Bobby Flay" show.
Yummy stuff you and your wife cook.

What an interesting transition. What is your favorite food to prepare? Or specific dish?

(Yes I'm just full of questions.
I love the cooking shows and chefs are very interesting.)

Yes it was. But I've always kind of been interested in cooking...just never realized it until I was 27... I'm interested in everything. More focused on Northern Italy/Italian-American food. I do like making some killer Chipotle pulled pork though. Or stir fry (so fast and easy).

So, you're a chef too. (I'm learning, guys). What type of food do you make when being your chef self at work?
current gig is basic stuff (limited by clientele). but previously was at a 5 star resort and made sexy food. all sorts of different cuisines from puerto rican asian fusion to mediterranean.

On my day off I make stuff that we can freeze and use on days when neither one of us can cook. We eat Italian, Indian, Thai, Mexican, American..... Right now in the freezer there's eggplant curry, Cuban black bean soup, lasagna, lentil curry, several kinds of meatballs, marinara sauce, pesto, spinach curry (I ran an Indian restaurant for awhile, I love making curry).them and use them at my job.
Santa Fe Chicken Chili
Coconut Shrimp Curry

I've been on a Thai curry kick the last couple weeks. Never made it before, had some masaman take out and thought I'd like to try to make it at home. Fell down the rabbit hole. Bought some curry pastes and am slowly introducing the kids to it. So far we've done Masaman twice, and a light red curry which I put on brats and fries.

And dill potato, feta tart sounds awesome.

i cook myself a good meal after every shift, and days off I like doing more time consuming things like ragu or roasts etc. or a complicated dessert. its fun for me to try new things I always try to get better, and use my knives of course. but yea after shift i may grab a couple things from work, like salad or veg. something small and no production items. unless i have stuff at home already. yesterday i made pan roasted chicken leg with les domes bleu, pancetta vinaigrette, frisee, parsleyand roasted sunchokes.

I do 90% of the cooking at home. When I met my wife the only thing in her refrigerator was mustard, mayo, frozen pizza, and vodka.
I started to teach her how to cook but quickly realized it was going to just be better for everyone if I just do it, and I just like to cook at home. She has learned a lot from watching though. Now, if she does try to make something she sends me out of the kitchen so I can't see what she is doing.
I'm chef at a German restaurant. So at dinner at home is anything but.

I get oddly nervous when I invite my sous-chef friend over for dinner.

But after awhile, I think she’s just thrilled someone else is cooking for her. I’m okay now. I do okay enough by her.

Hey. Reminder! Tomorrow is her birthday.

I get oddly nervous when I invite my sous-chef friend over for dinner.

But after awhile, I think she’s just thrilled someone else is cooking for her. I’m okay now. I do okay enough by her.

Hey. Reminder! Tomorrow is her birthday.
you could pour us a bowl of cereal and we would still be happy.

Back