best pizza

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pineapple pizza. perth airport.
IMG_9166.JPG

You can find this glorious slice at Terminal 2, Perth Airport, near the Beef Jerky vendor.

I used to live in Brooklyn - Di Fara is legit, but it was a pain in the ass to get to, and we couldn't get there more than once or twice per year.

After moving back to MN, I'll say that I appreciate the variety of styles available (more so than in the areas of NYC that I frequented).

There are some pretty good spots in my corner of the Twin Cities, including Pizzeria Lola, which was featured in an episode of the Pizza season of Chef's Table. If you're open to non-traditional pizza, there's great stuff to be had - Korean sausage and kimchi? Let's do it.

Lola's owner, Ann Kim, also has a NYC-style pizza place nearby, called Hello Pizza. I'll grab a pie there when I'm missing Brooklyn.

....but I also love a good Detroit style, or a thin and crispy Midwest tavern style, or the occasional Neapolitan, etc, etc. I just love pizza.
I live in Brooklyn, about a 20 minute walk from DiFara, haven't been in a while, long overdue for a visit.

'Best' of course is subjective, I've had some great pizzas, but like to think that I've still yet to have my 'best.'

Certainly on my bucket list, is traveling to Naples, and having a pineapple pizza made by a famous pizza maestro.

240102083953-01b-pineapple-pizza-italy-full.jpg

Last edited:
That looks legit good... curse you lactose intolerance.
My wife and I had pizza at a local Brooklyn place, she opted for the Vegan Pepperoni slice.

I tried a bite, think it was my first time trying vegan cheese, which was awful! Don't know why vegan cheese even exists!

My wife and I had pizza at a local Brooklyn place, she opted for the Vegan Pepperoni slice.

I tried a bite, think it was my first time trying vegan cheese, which was awful! Don't know why vegan cheese even exists!
Yeah... I try to get by on goat cheese pizza if there is a hankering.... the vegan stuff ain't it.

Aging cheese alse helps with the lactose, but those ain't for pizza.

Tokyo has really good Neapolitan pizza.
My favorite spot is Pizzeria Terzo Okei in Shinbashi.
IMG_2989.jpeg

IMG_2987.jpeg
IMG_2983.jpeg

Chopsticks
IMG_2981.jpeg

They have a small craft brewery, so beer is also good!
IMG_2988.jpeg

The anchovy fries are also to die for…
IMG_2982.jpeg

Last edited:
Yeah... I try to get by on goat cheese pizza if there is a hankering.... the vegan stuff ain't it.

Aging cheese alse helps with the lactose, but those ain't for pizza.
Honestly, try it... IMO grated gruyere, emmental or gouda actually makes better pizza than grated mozzerella, at least when you're talking standard home ovens. Mozzerella & fior di latte are IMO highly overrated...

...though still miles better than vegan-cheese. Cheese without milk simply isn't cheese. It shouldn't be called cheese. It's also not even remotely close in the nutrition department. I'd rather put 10 slices of pineapple on my pizza than that horrible crap.

Honestly, try it... IMO grated gruyere, emmental or gouda actually makes better pizza than grated mozzerella, at least when you're talking standard home ovens. Mozzerella & fior di latte are IMO highly overrated...

...though still miles better than vegan-cheese. Cheese without milk simply isn't cheese. It shouldn't be called cheese. It's also not even remotely close in the nutrition department. I'd rather put 10 slices of pineapple on my pizza than that horrible crap.

When making at home to put enough on to make it seem like pizza it gets wayyyyy to salty.

all the aged cheese around me just has too much salt in them too. the soft basic goat cheese is ok.... keep making pizza to figure out force myself to utilize the sourdough discard.

When making at home to put enough on to make it seem like pizza it gets wayyyyy to salty.

all the aged cheese around me just has too much salt in them too. the soft basic goat cheese is ok.... keep making pizza to figure out force myself to utilize the sourdough discard.
Never had this problem with it getting too salty. And I often add parmiggiano too...
But admittedly I'm someone who doesn't mind a bit of salt.

right at home, I gave up on travelling far for pizza simply because most places either skimp on dough prep, or flour or cannot do it and got me a proper oven doing 500'C and it makes all the difference...combined with long fermented high hydration dough. Guys it's doable at home for the outlay of one knife.

Parmiggiano, two tbs, some good tinned tomatoes san Marzano di Nocerina if lactose intolerant provelone piccante should do the trick replacing mozzarella (the mozz going on pizza usually is not the balled up stuff that is added on top)
IMG-20240330-WA0005.jpg

right at home, I gave up on travelling far for pizza simply because most places either skimp on dough prep, or flour or cannot do it and got me a proper oven doing 500'C and it makes all the difference...combined with long fermented high hydration dough. Guys it's doable at home for the outlay of one knife.

Parmiggiano, two tbs, some good tinned tomatoes san Marzano di Nocerina if lactose intolerant provelone piccante should do the trick replacing mozzarella (the mozz going on pizza usually is not the balled up stuff that is added on top)
View attachment 313558
sliced provolone works well on pizza

Getting a high-heat outdoor pizza oven is definitely on my list... sometime. For now, I've settled for a 1/4" thick carbon baking steel. In a typical home oven, it yields good results for tavern-style and Detroit-style pizzas; if I'm in the mood for any other kind of pizza, I'll take the night off and we'll go out. :p

View attachment 313558
Adding parmiggiano is pretty much my go-to method to improve any melted cheese situation (whether it's pizza or gratin), even if I'm already using good cheese. It always seems to make it better.
It's basically just the more artisinal way of adding MSG. :D

Oh man, tmnt in the arcade!

I honestly donno the last time I had Little Caesar's pizza, but those cheesesticks still hit after a few too many beers.
The Italian cheese bread they make is wildly good if you have it fresh. Cheap, lot of cheese for some ok protein, filling, tons of flavor. Sustained many a late night in college and remains a guilty pleasure. It’s weird how a place that makes pizza that bad can make cheese sticks that good.

Best pizza I’ve had, is from Slab in Portland Maine. Sicilian style apparently. Big, honkin’ slices of pizza with a great sauce and fantastic crust

Back