Anyone else into watches?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've thought about a G-Shock. Probably among the best beater watches out there, but I really do hate how they look. Thought about one of the Vaer field solar models for not too much more, or about the same if its used.
this is my fav beater watch if you don't like the look of a GShock

Attachments

• P6260065.jpg
    P6260065.jpg
    890.4 KB · Views: 0
  • P7260026.jpg
    P7260026.jpg
    788.8 KB · Views: 0
I had to check if I posted here before, I didn't.

In short, yes, very much. I have multiple Rolexes, IWC's, Omega's, and more well known brands.

I haven't been working for years due to an accident and a TBI, but I'm searching now. I work in the financial industry, so when I do get a job I'll be looking to get a JWC.

when I do get a job I'll be looking to get a JWC.
I've owned 2, a Geophysic True Second and a Sector dial chronograph (my current weekend watch). Visited the Manufacture (probably the only one to offer such access) last September and got a 4 hour tour with 3 other enthusiasts. We saw every aspect of watch making including the haut horologie department where they put together tourbillion and chiming movements. Truly spectacular and gave me a real appreciation for what I have on the wrist. Unlike most other watchmakers, JLC manufactures every component on site in Switzerland, even down to the smallest blued screw and jewel. An often overlooked brand for sure.

Sad day two days ago, folks. August 2023 (almost new!) Tudor Pelagos 42mm Blue. Hit the the tile floor from waist height while I was walking and putting it on in the AM. This happened. Crazy. I absolutely would have expected it to withstand the drop. But it did not.

Gotta send to my AD and assess cost. WUS folks seem to think it will be $2k to fit and rebuild due to sapphire shards everywhere. That would suck for a $4k watch, especially since it's like to take a couple months. I feel naked without it on.

My wife stole my Seamaster, so I'm thinking of getting a hold over watch. Just what I need, right? Looking at a used Breitling SuperOcean Heritage but don't love the 36 hour reserve on it. The bronze/green looks incredible. Also looking at this JLC diver and a Longines Diver (or this one: https://www.watchuseek.com/threads/longines-legend-diver-no-date-lowest-price.5560548/)

Chime in! And someone please make me feel better about my Pelagos. I'm wallowing in self pity at the moment.IMG_5013.JPGIMG_5012.JPGIMG_5010.JPGIMG_5011.JPG

Sad day two days ago, folks. August 2023 (almost new!) Tudor Pelagos 42mm Blue. Hit the the tile floor from waist height while I was walking and putting it on in the AM. This happened. Crazy. I absolutely would have expected it to withstand the drop. But it did not.

Gotta send to my AD and assess cost. WUS folks seem to think it will be $2k to fit and rebuild due to sapphire shards everywhere. That would suck for a $4k watch, especially since it's like to take a couple months. I feel naked without it on.

My wife stole my Seamaster, so I'm thinking of getting a hold over watch. Just what I need, right? Looking at a used Breitling SuperOcean Heritage but don't love the 36 hour reserve on it. The bronze/green looks incredible. Also looking at this JLC diver and a Longines Diver (or this one: https://www.watchuseek.com/threads/longines-legend-diver-no-date-lowest-price.5560548/)

Chime in! And someone please make me feel better about my Pelagos. I'm wallowing in self pity at the moment.View attachment 316613View attachment 316614View attachment 316615View attachment 316616
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is horrible. So sorry sir….

Is a bezel a must? And what kind of price range yII looking at?

I’m always a fan of nomos if that’s your thing. I was strongly looking at the Cartier tank solo. Iwc mark xx is also on my short list

Bad luck. :(

Does it have to be a diver?

My long time favourite is the 38mm standard from Weiss Watches, a small manufacturer in Nashville, TN:

Links: https://weisswatchcompany.com/

They have different models too.

I just love the small and light watch, and the handwinding movement gives a nice morning ritual of winding it. I usually have it on a leather strap unless it's really warm and sweaty, then I switch to the cordura canvas strap.

Pics of my watch:

Weiss with Sony.jpg

Weiss on stone.jpg

Cameron Weiss, the watchmaker, seems to be a nice person too.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is horrible. So sorry sir….

Is a bezel a must? And what kind of price range yII looking at?

I’m always a fan of nomos if that’s your thing. I was strongly looking at the Cartier tank solo. Iwc mark xx is also on my short list
Thanks! I love divers - just a diver guy I guess. 42mm is about perfect, can probably go 39mm-43mm without it making a huge statement of outsized proportions. Don't need a bezel, but I do love a good clean bezel.

I have to say, I'm tempted by this IWC Petronas - it's just a beautiful color and watch. But not a diver and I'm hard on stuff so I tend to think I need a diver for all the stuff I do with it on - cycling, running, hiking, lifting, pools, sauna, etc.

The watches you mention are all wonderful - but I think for me, I want something a bit less formal and a bit more rugged.

@gaijin - thanks for the tip. I will look at them. I tend to gravitate to more established/horticulturally prominent watches, as I love the history and in house movements. But always learning and it seems like there are more and more newcomers to the space that deserve a look.

I like sinn for the price and what you get just as a “”beater”: sinn 104. Bezel is no where near as good as the Tudor though 😰
I used to have three Sinns. I couldn't take the bezel (needs improvement IMO) and weight of them. They wore heavy on my wrist. I never got the newer, smaller version, but the full sized were just monsters.

@gaijin - thanks for the tip. I will look at them. I tend to gravitate to more established/horticulturally prominent watches, as I love the history and in house movements. But always learning and it seems like there are more and more newcomers to the space that deserve a look.

I fully understand.

Many of the microbrands seems to be just some dude in basement that orders a custom watch model from a large factory somehwere... But Weiss and some others I've looked at are more of "the real deal" making many things inhouse. Normally quite expensive, and even if the model I got has gone up significantly in price, it's still cheap compared to some you mentioned.

I don't really have the diver bug so I guess I don't really have that much more to recommend. :)

Sorry to see this. Have you checked with your homeowners policy to see if they cover accidental damage. If you paid with your credit card that could also offer some coverage in a case like this. In any case you will need to get a quote from Tudor for the rebuild. I dinged the steel bezel on the JLC Sector dial chronology with a belt buckle. Inquired about a replacement bezel and was told $3K!!! (thats half what I paid for the watch) just for the thin bit of steel around the crystal. I can live with a small ding which I don't even notice now.

Had a closer look at the pics and I think you came out quite lucky as the crystal was the only casualty from what I can see. That should be quite inexpensive (compared to my bezel). No damage to the case or bezel? Make sure you don't run the watch and get it to Tudor for assessment. I think you will only need to service the watch as most of the glass is on the dial side. Try to keep it there too. Tudor will replace the crystal, disassemble the movement and rebuild. Their timing checks will confirm all is OK.

The issue I have with the Polaris is that it wears big on the wrist due to internal rotating bezel design. Beautiful watch if you have a big wrist.

I tried these 3 on in the haut horologie dept during my tour of the factory in Switzerland last year. Works of art, especially the Tourbillon

I fully understand.

Many of the microbrands seems to be just some dude in basement that orders a custom watch model from a large factory somehwere... But Weiss and some others I've looked at are more of "the real deal" making many things inhouse. Normally quite expensive, and even if the model I got has gone up significantly in price, it's still cheap compared to some you mentioned.

I don't really have the diver bug so I guess I don't really have that much more to recommend. :)
Appreciate your thoughts
The issue I have with the Polaris is that it wears big on the wrist due to internal rotating bezel design. Beautiful watch if you have a big wrist.

I tried these 3 on in the haut horologie dept during my tour of the factory in Switzerland last year. Works of art, especially the Tourbillon

View attachment 316624
View attachment 316623
View attachment 316625
Thanks, H. Appreciate these. And makes sense. I might be super boring and get an FXD, keep it on a strap, and call it a tweener. I hate the idea of having two Pelagos' (how do I make that plural?) but they are great watches to my eye and the movement is great.

I'm still loving the SuperOcean look, but I just don't know about the movement or quality of them.

Funny, just looking at the FXD MN version. My concern was getting good straps for it. How is yours holding up?
The Tudor supplied blue Nato is the best I've come across. And I have an original Omega with the buckle. Thick and easy to put on and take off. The Velcro is super secure, no worries there. IMO the quality has to match the watch which this does. I also have a couple of Parachute straps but I'm not liking the clasps or the stretchy nature of the fabric. All the aftermarket straps I've come across just don't meet the standard.

Appreciate your thoughts

Thanks, H. Appreciate these. And makes sense. I might be super boring and get an FXD, keep it on a strap, and call it a tweener. I hate the idea of having two Pelagos' (how do I make that plural?) but they are great watches to my eye and the movement is great.

I'm still loving the SuperOcean look, but I just don't know about the movement or quality of them.
The Superocean, FXD and BB Tudor movements using MT54XX, MT56XX are made by the same company, Kenissi. Not in-house per se but Tudor does have some ownership and it is on the same premises now that they have moved to their new facility.

Holy smokes that looks big. Again I know the angle and stuff has an impact but yea looks big. I have pretty small wrists 6.5 so that Polaris would look goofy. I think, on my wrist

Holy smokes that looks big. Again I know the angle and stuff has an impact but yea looks big. I have pretty small wrists 6.5 so that Polaris would look goofy. I think, on my wrist
My wrist is 6.75" so yeah, they wear big. The lugs don't overhand the wrist so the case works, just the watch face to oversized as I mentioned and that gives the impression of being too large.

Please educate the ignorant. Completely disregarding aesthetic or coolness factors — what is the benefit of a tourbillon movement? How does it improve the instrument’s One Job (keeping time with minimal error)?

Please educate the ignorant. Completely disregarding aesthetic or coolness factors — what is the benefit of a tourbillon movement? How does it improve the instrument’s One Job (keeping time with minimal error)?
IMO it's a watchmaker flexing. Originally Breguet invented the tourbillion for pocket watches, which unlike a wristwatch is always carried at the same angle...in a pocket. The tourbillion system optimises the timekeeping, by averaging out the effect of gravity on the movement. Ingenious really when you think it dates back to the 18th century. In a modern wristwatch completely unnecessary.

Back