Another recommendation thread: Onion Slayer

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
As an excuse rationalization for buying more knives I want a ones that are fantastic at specific tasks. I don't think there's a day that goes by where I don't cut up at least one onion. That said I want something that will really excel at them specifically. I know that most knives can be great at onions, but I'm thinking a Bunka will be the ticket. I like the tip for horizontal cuts and they're typically pretty TBE so should glide through an onion. I also like their height for large onions. The one trade off for a lasery bunka will be the sticking issue. I could go with a fancy geometry on the grind to negate stickage (this should be a real word) but then I'd lose that lasery feel.

Here's a couple I was looking at recently:
  • Nigara AS Kiritsuke Nakiri (just a flatter bellied Bunka)
  • Masashi Kokuen Bunka
What is your favorite onion slayer? Anything you can suggest that fits the bill here?

KNIFE TYPE
Bunka, but open to other suggestions.

HANDED
Right handed

HANDLE
Prefer Wa, but okay with Yo.

LENGTH
Interested in the 165-180 range

MATERIAL (Stainless or Not)
Doesn’t matter at all, I always wipe my knives down, but something easier to sharpen is nice.

BUDGET
$150-500

KNIFE USE
Home use, specifically dismembering onions!

GRIP
Pinch

CUTTING MOTIONS
Push mostly

EDGE RETENTION
Longer is always better, but it doesn’t matter. This is for home use and I touch up or sharpen as needed.

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Hasagawa/wood boards only and I sharpen my own knives.

Anything Shibata. I love the feeling of my 240 Kashima ghosting through anything alliaceous. I plan to pick up the Koutetsu bunka at some point.

Honorable mentions for Kobayashi and Ogata.

Another vote for Takamura. I'm not really a collector and don't have anything comparable but I love my Takamura SG2 Gyuto for cutting onions.

I had a yoshikane bunka that was insanely thin at the tip and behind the edge. Cruised through onions.

IMG_6044.jpeg

Finding one <180mm won’t be easy, but Markin and Eddworks are clear favourites for <$500. In a higher price bracket, Kippington for sure.

I like the idea of a bunka as an onion/shallot/garlic knife but in practice I rarely use mine (Spåre 185 in 1.2419) even though it's a very good cutter. Had a Takamura 180 and didn't like it much even though it cuts well. The recent Acre Forge PA knife feels like a nicer version a Taka 180 but at $300 I think you'd be better off with a Shibata. I'm on Eddie's list for a stainless 195 gyuto that I hope will be an endgame utility knife for alliums, fruit, and random small tasks.

While I can get the appeal of a smaller knife for the job a 210-225 with good taper is what I usually reach for. I previously have owned Yoshikane 210 and Kipp and Eddworks 225s that were fantastic, now my Simon Herde or Kono MM are the current weapons of choice.

I have one of those Nigara's. I remember it being slicey but not sure it wowed me in any particular way. Not meaning it was bad, just not sure I remember anything that said "onion slayer".

I'll see if I can give it a try this weekend.

While I can get the appeal of a smaller knife for the job a 210-225 with good taper is what I usually reach for.
We all have different preferences around here. I just feel anything over 200mm is too long for precise tip work. I think 180ish sounds about perfect for shallots, garlic, onions for home use. I just don’t have a 180 at the moment but like you I have some custom slots to address the 180-195 range.

We all have different preferences around here. I just feel anything over 200mm is too long for precise tip work. I think 180ish sounds about perfect for shallots, garlic, onions for home use. I just don’t have a 180 at the moment but like you I have some custom slots to address the 180-195 range.
i can see this for garlic and shallots. but onions are much bigger with more mass to work through. imo 180mm is not big enough. oversized 210 or sakai 240 is my right size for most onions.

I just feel anything over 200mm is too long for precise tip work. I think 180ish sounds about perfect for shallots, garlic, onions for home use. I just don’t have a 180 at the moment but like you I have some custom slots to address the 180-195 range.
A long knife can always be made shorter by choking up on the blade. I *easily* mince garlic and shallots with a 290mm knife, but my hand is obviously nowhere near the handle.

Short knives, however, will never be long enough to not be short.

Back