All Rectangle March?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
with or without the handle 🤨
You're thinking of @stringer.

My Nakiri's have only been handleless when switching handles. Because I haven't figured out how to put a new handle on while the old ugly one is still on. That's not just slapping some duct tape on them or epoxying them. Or super glue. Or rubber bands.

Don't ask me about my meat cleaver. It technically has a "handle" on it. But very unfinished. So yeah, don't ask. Not talking about it. After this is posted.

Yes. I've got a mini rectangle.
Cool. Pics preferred. :)

I feel like you need alliteration to make this a thing. Square September? Parallelogram April?

Yeah, Nakiri November would be sweet but it's a long ways off and leaves out the cleaver bunch. I couldn't think of anything wittier.

I'm down, I'll see how many I can get into shape from the current work pile. If I bring up none I'll still have a Cleaver, a 165 nakiri and a 145 nakiri. I'd like to get at least one more 165 nakiri up and a #3 cleaver; possibly a 185 nakiri, too; guess we'll see what the roster looks like from start to finish...

Acquired two very similar specimens recently. If you had to put your money on one, which do you think would be the winner after a month of use?

Hitohira Futana S3 Nashiji Nakiri 165mm Cherry Wood Handle

https://kitchintools.com/products/aaa-130n-24-da170

Hitohira Imojiya Kuma Blue #2 Nashiji Tsuchime Nakiri 165mm Pakka Handle

https://kitchintools.com/products/daa-180-da

The Futana. Has much more useable height cause of the obvious heel height difference plus the machi offset to the handle. Also western handles seem wrong for nakiris - unless the handle is thin and light and the blade is heavy, but is the opposite situation

I have one but I can't use it. I tried once but I was too clumsy. And I tried cutting collard greens, but it seemed too short. I eat a lot of greens as I grow them in my garden.

I have one but I can't use it. I tried once but I was too clumsy. And I tried cutting collard greens, but it seemed too short. I eat a lot of greens as I grow them in my garden.
What were you using? 170 nakiri can feel a little short for greens but 185 is happily sufficient and anything north of that is bonus, in my experience.

What were you using? 170 nakiri can feel a little short for greens but 185 is happily sufficient and anything north of that is bonus, in my experience.
This is something my mom bought many years ago. It is 200 mm long. It just sits in a drawer. I grow big collard greens. They grow well in the south.
I was thinking about trying it making bread.
IMG_0321.jpg

Last edited:
Back