• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

SOLD A2 or M2 Gyuto Batch

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How heavy/dense is redgum? Blackwood is heavy and big oak is usually not as much. What is the thickness of the M2 stock by the way?
I will need to check the exact measurements on what is available but from memory the piece i was planning to get was close to a quarter inch thick i think. don't quote me on that. but im pretty sure that was what I was looking at.

but i was looking at thicker pieces and the only option i could find for doing a heel height over 50mm in thicker stock is getting a 6 inch tall sheet.

anyway just because I will need to add taper then polish. etc it will end up being a littler thinner than the original stock thickness. also its probably going to have mill scale.

Count me in for one in M2. Anything between 225 and 250 length is good; 55-57 heel height. Love the redgum and mokume, but also game for ringed gidgee and simple brass or other ferrule if getting everyone on the same handle construction will streamline production process. Let me know what you need by way of deposit. Looking forward to seeing the build progress.

I am interested depending on size specs and price. If I can do 225-240 x 50-55 ish? Prefer M2

I’d strongly suggest @Blank Blades. Just says I’m making all the knives Length x Height with X material as the handle.

It’s going to take longer & be more frustrating if everyone has a bunch of little requests. If someone really wants a specific wood or a specific height I think that needs to be taken up in the DM’s & defeats the purpose of a “mass drop” style batch like this one

I’d strongly suggest @Blank Blades. Just says I’m making all the knives Length x Height with X material as the handle.

It’s going to take longer & be more frustrating if everyone has a bunch of little requests. If someone really wants a specific wood or a specific height I think that needs to be taken up in the DM’s & defeats the purpose of a “mass drop” style batch like this one
Agreed . For the price I think Blank should make it as easy as possible for them selves

This sounds very reasonable and I was going to suggest the same. I’ve seen so many mass drops like this fail because the maker gets overwhelmed with all the opinions and minor differences that make batch processing not possible. The whole point of something like this is to be able to streamline production.

Of course it is up to the maker to decide what he wants to do. The knife that created the interest was 240x55 I believe, so something close to that would have a similar profile that many liked. M2 is an excellent steel and is probably one of the best non powder metallurgy tool steels for this purpose and sharpens perfectly fine on conventional stones. Also to me mokume sounds like a pain to make and I wonder how many actually want one, I would think a simpler handle design might make the whole process easier to accomplish. So a 240x55 in M2 with the profile of the knife that started this buzz and 1-2 choices of wood and maybe a simpler handle in addition to @Blank Blades. excellent convex grind with blade forward balance when in pinch would be very interesting and satisfy most.

I think a 225 and a 240 option sounds good, with choice of dark (ancient redgum) or light (taz) handle sounds right.

I have no problem accommodating special requests for different species and specific pieces, but I would go the above route if we want to make it simpler.

Glad to see this post gaining traction.

Just wanted to remind everyone how much work goes into making these knives. And you should fully commit to the product you are requesting. I’d hate to see X amount of people easily say “I’m in” then try to back out at the last minute and get a refund. I think this may be more focused to “newer” members or people unfamiliar with some of these logistics on batch orders.

@Blank Blades. is talented and will make you a fine knife. Don’t take something like this for granted. Production series knives end up being the most useful.

Cheers

As far as specs go. I do think having a 220ish, and a 240 could make it a little simpler.

Maybe 220×53, and 240x55.

For handle material. I don't mind doing mokume for it. I just need to know how much I need to make.

The handle material doesn't make a giant different being to get one or two woods does make things easier. Rather than ordering from a bunch of different vendors.

I personally suggest mokume if you want the redgum, and if you want a more highly figured wood then brass, bronze, or something more plain. I just think that kind of look keeps it from being a bit too busy looking.

mokume+redgum is a great combo. Also think Taz+bronze would be great. The Taz has a lot of nice natural variance, so if people care they can pick it out(or we can choose), and for the redgum maybe randomized will be the best since it's a little more uniform.

What do we think timeline would be on this assuming like 10-15 knives?

Glad to see this post gaining traction.

Just wanted to remind everyone how much work goes into making these knives. And you should fully commit to the product you are requesting. I’d hate to see X amount of people easily say “I’m in” then try to back out at the last minute and get a refund. I think this may be more focused to “newer” members or people unfamiliar with some of these logistics on batch orders.

@Blank Blades. is talented and will make you a fine knife. Don’t take something like this for granted. Production series knives end up being the most useful.

Cheers

How about having a Makers Choice category for those of us who have 100% trust in BlankBlades?

mokume+redgum is a great combo. Also think Taz+bronze would be great. The Taz has a lot of nice natural variance, so if people care they can pick it out(or we can choose), and for the redgum maybe randomized will be the best since it's a little more uniform.

What do we think timeline would be on this assuming like 10-15 knives?
I'll see how many blades it actually is. Idk if it will actually be 10 or more people that actually go through with it.

But my assumption 2 months is what I actually plan on this being especially because when I am not changing up big parts of the knife construction between blades I can generally work faster. But 3 months to be safe.

Speaking of this. I can go ahead and talk getting deposits. It will be 300 now, then when they are finished the rest of the money.

This way I can actually know the exact amount of materials. Get an actual headcount.

Dm me when you see this if you are going to do this. I will give people a few days before I do a cut off. So I can figure out how much I need to buy of everything. I definitely can't have people join in way after the fact, because it's just not that easy to get a single knife size piece of some stuff. Also it would make it a lot more hectic.

So again dm if you are for sure in with the length you want, and handle combo.

Back