Ultra-high protein flour

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michi

I dislike attempts to rewrite history
Reaction score
I just stumbled across this at a shop and decided to grab a kilo:

1714194639603.jpeg

The protein content is 21.8%, which is almost twice that of a normal bread flour.

1714194746202.jpeg

I'll make some bread with this. No idea how that will pan out. I assume that the extra protein comes from added gluten. The bread may well turn out to be too chewy and rubbery because of this, but it's worth a try. Worst comes to worst, I can mix it with my normal bread flour in a 10-90% ratio and use it up that way.

Hrm, what about trying fresh egg pasta? Extra chewiness -could- be amazing
I like the pasta idea, that might be worth a try!

I use Caputo (15% protein) and are kind of curious how this goes.
I also use Caputo Manitoba Oro for most of my breads. That's a really good flour which I like a lot.

Who knows, that flour might be awful. But I'll give it a shot. Will report back eventually. It'll be a week or two.

I just stumbled across this at a shop and decided to grab a kilo:

View attachment 317886

The protein content is 21.8%, which is almost twice that of a normal bread flour.

View attachment 317887

I'll make some bread with this. No idea how that will pan out. I assume that the extra protein comes from added gluten. The bread may well turn out to be too chewy and rubbery because of this, but it's worth a try. Worst comes to worst, I can mix it with my normal bread flour in a 10-90% ratio and use it up that way.
Wow! That's high!! Super light and chewy bread and extremely chewy ramen noodles 🍜 🍞

I often mix in some Caputo Manitoba in with the Caputo Cuoca for pizza, up to 25% or so...interesting experiment!

I mean... you can just dope normal flour with gluten if that's what you're into.

That’s interesting! Never seen a flour over 15% protein (manitoba).

Let us know how your loaf will come out. Mostly the crumb, I am assuming it’s going to be elastic!

You could really drop the salt content and still get great elasticity. Very interested in how it goes.

Back