Stone Findings

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Our next door neighbors are elderly. I help them out with a few minor things - I take their trash and recycling bins out on trash day and put them away. Stuff like that. Recently, he asked me if I could sharpen a carving blade for him - he's a wood carver and makes these cool figurines. No problem, I fixed him up.

Today, he said he had something for me. He had an old cardboard box with duct tape on both ends. In circa 1950s font it said "A Cutting Tool Is No Better Than It's Edge." Inside was a Norton Hard Arkansas HB6 translucent stone. It's marked with a Bear logo. I don't know anything else about it - he's had it so long he doesn't remember where or when he got it. It was only used a couple of times, he said he didn't have the patience to try to sharpen anything with it. I checked it with a straight edge - it appears to be flat. I'm pretty jazzed about this!
20240505ArkHB6a.jpg

20240505ArkHB6b.jpg

I soaked it overnight in SG, no sign of oil. I'm putting it in water with dish detergent today and I'll check flatness with a diamond plate. Captaincaed advised me in another forum to take it out of the SG as it may remove or fade the logos.

Our next door neighbors are elderly. I help them out with a few minor things - I take their trash and recycling bins out on trash day and put them away. Stuff like that. Recently, he asked me if I could sharpen a carving blade for him - he's a wood carver and makes these cool figurines. No problem, I fixed him up.

Today, he said he had something for me. He had an old cardboard box with duct tape on both ends. In circa 1950s font it said "A Cutting Tool Is No Better Than It's Edge." Inside was a Norton Hard Arkansas HB6 translucent stone. It's marked with a Bear logo. I don't know anything else about it - he's had it so long he doesn't remember where or when he got it. It was only used a couple of times, he said he didn't have the patience to try to sharpen anything with it. I checked it with a straight edge - it appears to be flat. I'm pretty jazzed about this!
View attachment 319743

View attachment 319744

I soaked it overnight in SG, no sign of oil. I'm putting it in water with dish detergent today and I'll check flatness with a diamond plate. Captaincaed advised me in another forum to take it out of the SG as it may remove or fade the logos.

Sweet!

Your guess is probably pretty much spot on btw. I believe this logo is likely somewhere between 1955-1965 ish.

View attachment 319743

View attachment 319744

Nice score!

After soaking in dish detergent/water - I started in Simple Green, but heeded Captaincaed's advice and switched it - no oil was evident. I'm wondering if this stone was ever used. I marked a grid and worked on flattening with a diamond plate. The Sharpie grid lines were gone in under five minutes. This thing was basically flat. I lightly chamfered the edges, there are a couple of small chips typical of flint-like stone. I didn't try to eliminate those.

I'm looking forward to using it the next time I hone my straight razor. I think I'll work up to my coticule as a pre-finisher, then lightly polish the finish on this stone.

Quote Reply

I got rly luck and found this Coticule Combo stone for very cheap in my town. It s very pleasing to the eye ;)

Attachments

• photo_2024-05-08_20-49-02.jpg
    photo_2024-05-08_20-49-02.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo_2024-05-08_20-49-11.jpg
    photo_2024-05-08_20-49-11.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo_2024-05-08_20-49-15.jpg
    photo_2024-05-08_20-49-15.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo_2024-05-08_20-49-18.jpg
    photo_2024-05-08_20-49-18.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo_2024-05-08_20-59-36.jpg
    photo_2024-05-08_20-59-36.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 0
  • photo_2024-05-08_20-59-41.jpg
    photo_2024-05-08_20-59-41.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 0
Three merchants on Amazon.com have the NANIWA Hibiki Hard Vitrified IT-0150 Grit-3000 on sale for $48.

Back