Mizuno craft axe

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm looking for a craft axe, initially I was looking at Hultafors Ågelsjön or Gränsfors Small Hatchet, but either is expensive or not in stock, others like Roselli or Fiskar looks good but the geometry doesn't look like will be good for craft works, then I come across the Mizuno Craft Axe, everything looks pretty on point, the hardness seems fine for what it is, does anyone has experience with them or with other good craft/carving hatchet?
https://tetogi.com/products/mizuno-craft-ax-450g-oak-handle-curved?_pos=4&_sid=da4f63f20&_ss=r

This is the Mizuno I just got:

https://hidatool.com/item/2326
20231211_123949.jpg

20231211_124103.jpg

Haven't been able to use it except to shave some kindling but it feels pretty nimble because of that carve out behind the blade you can choke up with. Granted, I've been using a full-size axe for those delicate tasks so anything is gonna feel more nimble and this geometry is better suited to that. I'll be able to give a better review once I get back from thr holidays if you haven't pulled the trigger already.

Might go for the Hultafors before something super nice, none of the US retailer has the craft axe in stock now, and Tetogi shipping cost quite a abit, only bad thing I saw about Hultafors is some post on blade forum saying it is too soft, but someone test it on youtube saying it is harder than GB, so that's that...

I have two axes. a Wetterlings from the old stuff, and a Granfors small forest. they both get kitchen knife sharp.

what do you want to use it for?

These are the best ones I have seen, but expensive. I don’t own one, but from everything I have seen and read a really good one. Kalthoff small carver — KALTHOFF AXES

what is the problem with he Roselli? I have one and a great all around axe. If you want it specifically for carving and not splitting you can change it a bit for that. Saw a woodworker video where he had done this and it looked like he just thinned it a bit. So it wasn’t as much a splitter. It works good for carving though as is just maybe not as good as one designed specifically for that task.
You can get one though for about $100 Off lamnia. Best camp axe.

These are the best ones I have seen, but expensive. I don’t own one, but from everything I have seen and read a really good one. Kalthoff small carver — KALTHOFF AXES

what is the problem with he Roselli? I have one and a great all around axe. If you want it specifically for carving and not splitting you can change it a bit for that. Saw a woodworker video where he had done this and it looked like he just thinned it a bit. So it wasn’t as much a splitter. It works good for carving though as is just maybe not as good as one designed specifically for that task.
You can get one though for about $100 Off lamnia. Best camp axe.
The Kalthoff looks stunning. Roselli is just bit thick all around, very convexed shape, they are good axe tho. I went with the Hultafors in the end

The Kalthoff looks stunning. Roselli is just bit thick all around, very convexed shape, they are good axe tho. I went with the Hultafors in the end
That should be a good one. Roselli is designed to be one of the best splitting axes I have ever used, but is also capable of doing most everything an axe does. It is probably the best all around for a light camp axe and can be used as an ulu or carving axe too, but yes is a bit thick because it needs to split too.

Realized the BladeForum guys was talking about cheaper Hultafors fell axe which are casted, so probably no worries for the forged small one

Could also go vintage and find a head on ebay and rehandle, thin, sharpen yourself. Stick with the usual brands like plumb, old craftsman, west german (personal favorite) and old collins.

Just make sure the toe isnt worn out, no cracks, eye isnt bent and it doesnt look like some one burned out the handle and you should be fine.

ball park 15 to 30 dollars shipped. Then another 10 to 20 for a handle.

Edited: for more thing to look out for on ebay.

I watched a few Japanese camping videos. oddly, the ones I have watched everyone seems to swing a GB axe.

I took my Christmas tree down early. I usually limb it with my Granfors small forest axe. fun and rewarding. but my balance is off this year due to a knee injury. I'm wobbly from a sore knee. so swinging an axe seemed unwise. I sawed it apart. hahah..

Back