Wenge handles

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pie

you.. you got any more of them rocks?
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
They look pretty cool but do those huge pores bother anyone else?

I don’t soak my handles but they do get wet sometimes, and I’m getting some… spiky bits? You know, when wood gets wet it does that soak/expand/swell thing. Also raw meat juice etc kinda gives me pause.

Maybe it’s time to explore fillers..

I hate them. Maybe I have never had a good one but I like to wash my knives and handles when I get them and then I do an Axe Wax application. When I wash the Wenge handles all those pores open up and look terrible. To go a step further when they are polished they look like cheap plastic to me. Sorry for Wenge handle lovers but "Death to Wenge handles!!!!!"

They look pretty cool but do those huge pores bother anyone else?

I don’t soak my handles but they do get wet sometimes, and I’m getting some… spiky bits? You know, when wood gets wet it does that soak/expand/swell thing. Also raw meat juice etc kinda gives me pause.

Maybe it’s time to explore fillers..
I guess you've never seen or handled a burnt chestnut handle. Huge cavities and crevices.
As for Wenge, it's a bit blah IMO. I prefer the chestnut, bog oak or burnt oak. I did like the Catcheside's earlier handles where he impregnated the Wenge with copper. Not sure how durable it would be but looked great in pics.

Reactions: Pie
Back