the DASHI "teabag".

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boomchakabowwow

Reaction score
right or wrong, this is a game changer for me. I have been watching Japanese Restaurant vids as a sleep aide. not understanding Japanese lulls me to sleep. I did notice they use a big giant teabag to make their dashi stocks. so I set out to find a home version. I hit up a Japanese grocery store and I asked the clerk. he showed me a few varieties and helped me read the instructions. I guessed from there. (they put a big sticker over the main instructions so google translate wasn't a good option)

I just made a quick udon soup to use up some fresh noodles. breakfast.

so good.

Here is the brand I landed on.

IMG_1736.jpeg
IMG_1735.jpeg

I still need to work on my dashi methods. I am vehemently apposed to any flavor or sense of seafood in anything. It has to be so well buried in any recipe or I'll just refuse to eat it. So the management of the bonito flakes pose a challenge for me. I do use them, but only slightly. I'm sure there's plenty in the dashi in other ramen shops I visit, but as long as I can't notice it, I'm good.

Something like this may be helpful, I appreciate you sharing it.

At first I thought you meant they put the dashi ingredient in a giant tea bag to steep and then remove it for ease and convenience. Those tea bags look like they have tea in them though. So the tea leaves are a secret ingredient?

Friends always gift us this famous brand from Fukuoka. Tastes better than what I make from kombucha and katsuobushi.
IMG_3625.jpeg
IMG_3626.jpeg

It’s excellent and worth seeking out if in Japan but only available at these few shops:
IMG_3629.jpeg

I’m sure there are many other good ones…

At first I thought you meant they put the dashi ingredient in a giant tea bag to steep and then remove it for ease and convenience. Those tea bags look like they have tea in them though. So the tea leaves are a secret ingredient?
It’s kombu and katsuobushi and other dashi stuff, ground fine and bagged. No tea.
IMG_3630.jpeg

Back