North Korean Cookbook

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just the sauce, btw.

Shrimp Salad with Hot Mustard Dressing (Saewu Naengchae)

DSC_4565-e1561428495810.jpg

Colemans dry mustard works fine. Honeydew, watermelon or cantaloup work well in place of asian pear.

i knew i was looking at something different when i saw none of the recipes feature gochujang

all that stuff looks pretty good to me. i wonder what everyday meals look like for the median man, though.

Outsiders who are crazy enough to travel in North Korea note all of the abandoned children, in the countryside. Defectors have reported that during the massive famines that happen periodically in NK, these abandoned children are hunted down and eaten. This is what happened during the 100 years war in Europe. The Hansel and Gretel story was originally about a brother and sister abandoned in the woods and taken to be eaten by a crone living there.

This is what happened during the 100 years war in Europe. The Hansel and Gretel story was originally about a brother and sister abandoned in the woods and taken to be eaten by a crone living there.
I am not convinced of the accuracy of this.

For one, the Hundred Years' War started in 1337, but the famine that inspired the Hänsel and Gretel fairy tale was 1315–1317 (or possibly lasted until 1322).

Second, I have been unable to find any reliable sources of cannibalism around that time. There is mention of it on the Wikipedia page, which quotes The Great Famine (1315-1317) and the Black Death (1346-1351) as a source. But that is far from establishing that cannibalism actually took place or, if it did, that children were the victims of it.

Whether stories about cannibalism in North Korea are true is hard to tell. I found this news article, which claims that it is happening. Keep in mind that this is a South Korean publication, which I would hardly count as a non-biased source when it comes to news about North Korea.

Regardless of the accuracy or inaccuracy of these stories, I suspect that the culinary arts in North Korea are severely curtailed for the average person. Popping down the road for a quick taco or bite of pizza is definitely not an option…

Back