musings of a deranged polisher

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank goodness I included “deranged” and “musings” in the title of this thread. Leaves me off the hook for creating meaningful content!

I really haven’t had time to put steel to stone recently. And when I do have time, I’m finding it hard to get inspired by the work needed to complete the major projects I have lined up:
  • Regrind and polish of 360mm swordsmith honyaki yanagiba
  • Handle and polish a yo Heiji gyuto
  • Rework of a wide bevel petty
  • Polish of 300mm Raquin gyuto-hiki
  • Thinning, polish, & rehandle of a Catchie gyuto
  • Regrind (ura included) of a tool-smith funyaki
Instead, I’m just kinda messing around when I find myself with an hour to do sharpening work. Testing ideas about geometry, slurry management, polishing progressions, etc. These experiments are enjoyable, relaxing, and definitely have helped me push my own limits and understanding. I certainly feel as if I am much, much better now than I was 12 or even 6 months ago. Further, I feel as if I’m just cracking through the surface of what’s possible.

I often struggle with managing my own expectations for the outcome and balancing that against the love I have for the process. This stuff can be frustrating. In a lot of ways, I think I put off major projects as I’m not yet certain I will achieve the results I want. The pitfall of a hobby with no skill ceiling… Or maybe its simply that the hours and hours and hours of 200 grit work required to get there in a satisfactory way leaves me yearning for pleasures of silky JNat slurry.

To that end, I caved and bought a belt grinder. Whoopsies. Time to learn a new skill! Hopefully I’ll get to a place where I can accomplish 85% of the rough work on belts and then shift to stones for the final bit. This could cut my each-project time by half realistically and dramatically increase the % of time I spend doing the parts I like - geometry refinement and chasing kasumi. I’ve got a handful of blades to practice with and will dabbling on and off through the summer.

Who knows when I'll finally feel eager to tackle a full project again. And I guess, really, what I'm trying to convince myself of is, do I care? I mean I do, right? Or do I not... IDK.

At this rate if I get the honyaki + 1 done this year I'll be impressed with myself.

I f’n love power tools
IMG_9996.jpeg

Back