WTS MSicard Cutlery 255mm Z-Wear San-Mai Gyuto (Semi-Custom)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MSicardCutlery

Full-time Knifemaker-Canadian Mazaki
KKF Sponsor
Reaction score
Hello All,

One of my many areas of interest as a bladesmith is high alloy san-mai. The construction method can make difficult steels to work with somewhat less challenging for me, as well as more aesthetically pleasing for my customers.

Around the holidays I completed a stainless clad 10v blade, and I certainly could have made this a stainless clad blade as well (I likely will make SS clad Z-Wear at some point in the near future) however, I know that to many people, part of the appeal of handmade knives is the patina characteristic of carbon steel blades. Now, Z-Wear, though not a fully stainless steel is nearly so in practice (in fact more so than D2/SKD11 or even ZDP-189), so it's unlikely to form a patina, least of all, one with the dazzling hues of gold and blue commonly seen on plain carbon steel blades. In light of that, and for variety's sake I decided to use a carbon steel for cladding on this Sabatier styled blade.

Included are pictures of a quick etch I applied after grinding and prior to hand finishing to reveal the cladding line.

I'm offering this blade as a semi-custom. Essentially that means that the prospective new owner has creative liberty with the handle design and construction. Though the blade currently sits fully finished, I can give it an etch if the new owner so desires.

zwear-cruwear-sanmai-custom-gyuto-msicardcutlery-chef-knife-sabatier (3).jpg

zwear-cruwear-sanmai-custom-gyuto-msicardcutlery-chef-knife-sabatier.jpg

zwear-cruwear-sanmai-custom-gyuto-msicardcutlery-chef-knife-sabatier (2).jpg

zwear-cruwear-sanmai-custom-gyuto-msicardcutlery-chef-knife-sabatier (4).jpg

20240312_145302.jpg

20240312_145239.jpg

Blade: 255mmx51mm carbon steel clad Zwear (64/65hrc) 320 grit hand rubbed finish
Neck: 20mmx18mm
Handle: ???
POB: ???
Spine: 3.36mm at the neck, 3.06mm above the heel, 2.43mm at halfway, .82mm 1cm from the tip
Grind: flat to convex RH bias
Weight: 125g
Relieved choil and spine
Edge: .16mm@1mm measured at the midpoint,

NOTE: The maker's mark will be applied prior to shipping. It's just better to omit it for the time being in the event the new owner would like the blade etched, so as to leave the MM as crisp as possible.

Asking $650 U.S + handle + $25 shipping. As always, if this blade is purchased in conjunction with another I will happily deduct $25 off of the price of the other blade.

Also, if you'd like Julien to make the handle he's offering a 10% discount for people that come his way with my semi-customs

Thanks for looking!

-Matt

For anyone on the fence... I love my knife from Matt in Apex Ultra that has a very similar grind and profile to this one. Using it at work earlier today put a big smile on my face. If I wasn't left-handed, I would probably be jumping on this one too!

Back